1993 4.6 dohc intech what makes this engine so desirable - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

1993 4.6 dohc intech what makes this engine so desirable

hi every one I was do some searchin on the ol interweb I was doing research for different engine swap I could possibly do to the old crown vic and I keep getting things concerning the 1993 dohc and how its like almost a legend of sorts I know it was bases for the dohc cobra engines but y was that year such a great one to get and would there be any way to get it to run on obd 2 system or would I be making a mistake to get that engine was it decent on gas mileage and power or would I be blowing smoke lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

I'm not aware that the engine itself is all that desireable, but the block so far as I'm aware would be a Teksid aluminum which due to weight savings over a cast iron would make it desireable. They are also known to be very strong castings, good for high hp builds.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014
PONY Member

Not really a legend but it was ground breaking in that it was Ford's first attempt at an aluminum block dohc 4 valve v8 . The B heads were improved in 96 by changing the combustion chamber shape to unshroud the intake valves . The gen1 96 is obd2 but retains the same coil pack ignition as the obd1 93-95 Marks . The 93-96 intake manifold can't be used for engine swaps due to firewall interference because of the throttle body location at the rear of the manifold . The gen2 97-98 Mark is cop ignition and has a redesigned intake manifold with a side mounted throttle body .

The aluminum blocks were cast in Italy be Teksid , have 6 bolt mains and can rev easily to 7000rpm . The B heads have no fuel injectors in the secondary intake ports therefore the secondary intake valves and the imrc's tend to gunk up over time as there is never fuel flow thru that secondary port even when the imrc's open up after 3500 rpm . This flaw was fixed with the introduction of the C head in 99 which uses a single intake port to feed both intake valves with one injector .

The CrownVic pcm can't control the imrc's so you would need delete plates if you wanted to use one of these engines for a swap .

2000 Spring Edition ZY Mustang GT Convertible ....BBK CAI , BBK 70 MM TB , Flows , Hypertech Tuner , Vogtland 1.6" Springs , Tokico HP , MM CC plates , Steeda flsfc's , Bullitt Calipers , D/S 13" rotors , 03 Cobra Alum 17" mini-spare , Chrome Saleen 18x9/18x10 , 265/295 35 Potenza's , sequentials , rear honeycomb , smoked headlites , tint , CDC Bar , Mach chin spoiler , black bullitt fuel door , speedster tonneau .
!996 Pearl White/Black Lincoln MarkVIII LSC .... stock

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

well If I were to get the teksid engine how big of a hassle would it be to swap and would the old trans that is in my car hold up to it or am I looking at complete swap
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014
PONY Member

Here is a good swap thread , will pretty much cover everything you need to know . There is tons of info out there on this swap . Best Lincoln engine to use would be the gen2 97-98 Lsc (290hp) , least desireable would be a 93-95 engine . Your tranny will be fine and if your engine is a Romeo (6 bolt) then the flywheel/flexplate will bolt up as well .

Infamous Lincoln Mark VIII engine swap thread.

2000 Spring Edition ZY Mustang GT Convertible ....BBK CAI , BBK 70 MM TB , Flows , Hypertech Tuner , Vogtland 1.6" Springs , Tokico HP , MM CC plates , Steeda flsfc's , Bullitt Calipers , D/S 13" rotors , 03 Cobra Alum 17" mini-spare , Chrome Saleen 18x9/18x10 , 265/295 35 Potenza's , sequentials , rear honeycomb , smoked headlites , tint , CDC Bar , Mach chin spoiler , black bullitt fuel door , speedster tonneau .
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

ok well the reason I keep hearing about the 93 is that the bottom end is supposedly stronger then the newer years but please any info that I can get on these engines is great thank you guys for posting
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014
PONY Member

You've been hearing wrong , all the Lincoln Teksid block/rotating assemblies are the same . The Cobra Teksid rotating assembly is stronger as it uses a forged steel crank and the slightly beefier Windsor rods . The early iron block 2v's in the Town Car/T-Bird/Cougar were weaker in the main bearing caps , 2 bolt vs 4 bolt . The early WAP aluminum block that replaced the Teksid in the 2001 Cobra was considered weaker due to a lower grade alloy used in the casting . This is why the supercharged 2003-4 Cobra's used the Romeo iron block from the GT .
I've had a 290 hp 96 MarkVIII LSC since it was 6 months old , very strong running car , far superior engine to the 2v .

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

thank you for the info if you have any more info please keep it coming also has any one seen or done a swap like this in a crown vic I know im on a mustang site but you guys have helped a lot in the past with the ol t/bird and this is the main site I can find any info cause over on the cv forums the biggest answer I get is to put a chevy ls in it but at least hear I can get real answers about the modular ford engines thank you guys for being here
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014
PONY Member

I've seen video of an ls1 swapped CV , pretty impressive car . As far as a modular 4v swap it should be a pretty straight forward bolt-in . The C head WAP version of the 4v is available already in the Merc Maruader platform . The biggest issue would be an intake manifold with a drivers side throttle body and i don't believe they exist for the B head motor . The exhaust side is identical between the B & C heads so any header made for the Marauder should work with your existing midpipe . I would convert the B head motor to C heads and look for a Marauder intake manifold/throttlebody/throttle cable . Your stock ecm should run the engine fine but might need a dyno tune to dial it in for 91/93 fuel .
Another option if your CV is a PI motor would be to swap the PI 2v top end over to the Teksid short block . You'd have a nice 11.5:1 aluminum motor with everything being simple bolt-in .

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

That would be an ideal compression for E85 or moon shine running machine but would I have to have above 87 to run the engine cause i really want to be able to run cheap gas I know cheaper gas usually means more expensive repairs lol
PONY Member

Lol , 87 ? You want to use 87 ? My Mark8 , factory tune , premium fuel only man .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page