Have you used a preservative protectant on your rag top? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Have you used a preservative protectant on your rag top?

Found a 1996 GT rag top with 38,000 miles on it for real. Sat in their garage rarely drove it just for fun car. From what I can tell it has the original Tan top on it still looks new. Sun gets hot here near Savannah, GA and the rays cause fabrics to rot not a problem in the garage. Humidity goes through the roof in Summer makes a haven for mold & mildew. I contemplated using a conditioner / preservative on it saw a commercial on TV advertising this NEVER WET product from Rust-Oleum.
NeverWet Review: The Magical, Water-Repelling Spray Is Kind of Amazing
Read the last line, "Spray Can 2 Acetone". I can tell you that is some mighty powerful stuff and I don't know if I want that on my top.

On the other hand, my web research Googled a more gentle product suppose to be better than great: 303 High Tech Fabric Guard good for most anything that is subject to rain & sun, boat tops, outdoor furniture, whatever you have and VINLY.

May interest you to know your top is in all probability made by the Haartz Company. Go to their website and you can punch in your ride and see exactly what kind of material your top is made of. I found the 96 GT top is vinyl. But it gets better they make a kit specifically for rag tops: 303ģ Vinyl Convertible Top Kit

303 website has a list of cities & towns where you can buy it. Please check it out and let me know what your take on preservatives is. We have a local Marina that sells it for boats. Considering what a new tops costs, I'll probably thrown down the fifty bucks for the convertible top kit and order on line.

Last edited by Island Guy; 02-08-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: My mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014
PONY Member

The 303 product is good stuff , i use Raggttopp protectant on mine .

RAGGTOPP Vinyl Convertible Top Protectant

2000 Spring Edition ZY Mustang GT Convertible ....BBK CAI , BBK 70 MM TB , Flows , Hypertech Tuner , Vogtland 1.6" Springs , Tokico HP , MM CC plates , Steeda flsfc's , Bullitt Calipers , D/S 13" rotors , 03 Cobra Alum 17" mini-spare , Chrome Saleen 18x9/18x10 , 265/295 35 Potenza's , sequentials , rear honeycomb , smoked headlites , tint , CDC Bar , Mach chin spoiler , black bullitt fuel door , speedster tonneau .
!996 Pearl White/Black Lincoln MarkVIII LSC .... stock
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

I went through a short spell of using some vinyl protectant stuff on mine a few years ago, but it didn't last long. Forget what brand... I had a couple problems or issues that killed it for me. First, as I live in the desert which exposes my car to more dust than other places on average, the stuff seemed to attract the dust a little. Same reason why I gave up on tire detailers a few years ago. Second, when I put the top down it would leave a residue of sorts on the back glass; nothing crazy but little stuff like that after I've spent 4 or 5 hours detailing my car drives me nuckin' futz.

My car is garaged when obviously I'm not driving it, the top material is in excellent shape, and so I ultimately just deemed the use of such products unnecessary. On the plus side, when it was freshly applied to the top it did give it a nice appearance. I had a thought recently that I might try the stuff again and use it only in the cooler months when the top stays up all the time.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

'Preciate the come backs. Yeah, the vinyl top material must be some real tuff stuff, yours living in the desert and goodness knows where else with climate, temperature, etc working against it. Doing my research I found Haartz has been making tops for many vehicles a looong time and obviously know what they're doing. Think it was Haartz website showed how to ascertain if your top is fabric or vinly. Put a couple teaspoons of water where it won't run off, use your finger press on it make a circular motion if it beads it's vinyl if it soaks in it's fabric. Only had mine a few months had it in the rain about five times water beads up runs off it like a Ducks back. So whatever they did to water proof it is still working. Only thing I did that may have helped, went to one of those self wash power washer spray places used the power washer, washed then rinsed then put their pressure applied wax on car and top. Previous car Ford product 2006 Mercury made it shine big time. It's a buck twenty five for five minutes so for $2.50 I get a wash, rinse and wax. After reading your replies think I might just keep my fifty bucks and use the pressure wash place. Car looks great, top acts water proof & looks great, so like the man said; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it . . ."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

^ Yup, all I ever do is wash it with mild car wash detergent that I use on the rest of the car. My top color is Medium Parchment, so occasionally I'll notice a little spot where some dirt or bird shiz has settled into the grains of it, if my wash mitt can't get it then I have a couple old toothbrushes I keep in my tool cabinet for that sort of occasion. Basically, the top is just like the various finishes on the rest of the car- keep it relatively clean and garaged or parked/stored in a covered area as much as is reasonably possible and it'll be ok for quite a long time. Sun exposure wreaks havoc on cars; if you're stuck parking outside it just triples the amount of work to keep everything nice. Only other thing to avoid is leaving the top folded down for extended periods of time; a few days in the garage during warmer weather months is ok but anything more than that can be bad for it.

BTW, only Mustangs that had a cloth fabric (canvas) top were the 03/04 Cobra's. All others were vinyl.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page