Tinted tail lights and headlights? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Tinted tail lights and headlights?

I had some ideas on what i want to do with my 01 gt, well seeing as how my husband dented my rear quarter panel last week, i will now need body work and paint, i want to go black with black tinted headlights and tail lights, but my husband is concerned about if they are visible enough for safety, looking for in put on this, i don't want to paint it black without being able to change the lights as well, because (go ahead and shake ur head lol) i also want pink detail over the black paint, so I'm just looking to have black, pink and my chrome rims... any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014
GT Member
4.6L Member

I'm guessing that is your Mustang in your avatar? If so, looks nice. I would probably choose to just color match and repaint the body panel in the original color. It's way cheaper than repainting the whole car, and if you really want it black you could check out DipYourCar.com. If you don't want to get the equipment and do it yourself there is a long list of installers around the US that will dip your entire car for way cheaper than a full paint job. It's not permanent, you can re-spray chipped areas yourself, you can peel it off if you want to go back to your original color, or repaint in yet a different color later on. A glossy black will probably not turn out as nice as a real paint job, but matte black looks really dope.

Oh, and yes, you can add your pink accents on top of the black Plasti Dip no problem. I've looked it up and I am thinking of dipping my car matte black, seems like a complete job including paint and labor costs from $450-$700 for our cars.

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
Performance: BAMA 93R Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Terminator spec T-Lok.
Planned Mods: FLSFC, Eibach Sway Bars, Throttle Body, Plenum, Rims.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the compliment on my car! Yes I'm in love with it..lol..my husband had mentioned dipping it but i had never heard of it but will look into, i also thought about doing a satin black with gloss pink detail, so matte wouldnt be much different, but I'm sure its closer to hotrod black, either way though still a thought..I'm also adding 4inch cowl hood and quarter window scoops so with those prices being added i may need to stick with the original color..lol..

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Well, as far as your visibility goes for headlights and tailights. Just buy them already smoked so they'll look nice for a long time. And for your tailights you need to be able to be seen 300ft back to be legal. Americanmuscle.com sells them, I got a pair and I love Em. Didn't need to change bulbs or anything. As for the headlights, you'll most likely have to buy hids to still see Farely well at night. I bought smoked headlights and fogs and thru in some 55 watt 5k hids for the heads, and some 35watt 5k fogs.

[/SIGPIC]2001 mustang gt - accufab throttle body/plenum and intake spacer, airaid cold air intake, ram hdx stage 1 clutch, optima yellow top battery , 3.73 gears with fresh replacement of bearings, sr short throw shifter, much more to come .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014
Rookie
4.6L Member

I actually just got mine tinted, I put some pictures in the section of the tails. Headlights are definitely dimmer than before but not bad at all! I think it improves the look of your stang ten fold.

1999 GT: 4.6L, Flowmaster Super 44's, Hurst Short Throw, 4:10 gears, CAI, Stage 3 clutch kit, Smoked headlights/taillights, and 17 inch staggered Bullitt wheels.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014
PONY Member

If the drivers in your area are as bad as the ones in Chicago you do not want to make your brake lights less visible. While rear end accidents are the other guys fault it sucks getting hit. Less visible brake lights are not a safe idea in this age of texting/cell phone yapping drivers. We all have insurance but getting hit sucks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks for the info guys.. ive been looking at some, that are tinted but they say that they are still completely visible, I think I may order them and hopefully They work out, I dont wanna waste money, But really want my car to have that blacked out look to it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page