Exhaust Question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Exhaust Question

I have a stock 2003 Convertible GT and wanted to change the mufflers for tone purposes. The shop is pushing Flowmaster 40 series, the original ones. I do not want loud and questioned the drone issue. He said it will not be loud due to the fact that I still have the factory cats and drone would not be an issue since the cats are in place and it is a convertible. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I think the 2.25 inlet/outlet flowmaster 40s will be just fine. they may have a slight drone but it should not be too terrible since you have an otherwise stock exhaust. Any aftermarket muffler/exhaust setup will have some sort of drone to it...nature of the best in my opinion.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Flowmaster sounds so amazing on a Mustang. I like the catback kit from flowmaster the american thunder kit myself, it is currently on my 2003 convertible gt.

Here is a good video of the car and my exhaust on it.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-gt-video.html

2003 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed - Mostly stock 4.6... 455 rwhp and 573 ft/lbs torque. (SOLD due to divorce)

Currently working on Coyote Swap of a 2004 GT

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015
Apprentice

I have thrush welded on my car and I love them , and the price it's really nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFpQmTh6hN8
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015
Apprentice

i would personally get magnaflow over flowmaster. i hate flowmasters on anything newer than a fox but to each their own.

2000 v6 mustang RED: Totaled

2002 Mustang GT Convertible SILVER:
MGW short throw shifter, 4.10 gears, Bama Performance tuner, Airaid CAI, Bassani off-raod x-pipe, Borla Stinger Catback, Athracite FR500's (275 front, 315 rear), Bilstein shocks/struts, H&R lowering springs, Maximum Motorsport cc plates, Mach 1 chin spoiler, shorty antenna,
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015
PONY Member

if you are concerned about the sound, you should be able find some sound waves for 40 series, 50 series and super 44's.

I have personally always liked the Flowmaster sound and have had them before on a 4.6 2V (non PI). It was on a Thunderbird and the Force II cat back was the only option available at the time from Flowmaster (these used the Delta 50 series mufflers). Though it did offer an improved tone over stock, I recall not being happy till with the tone, until I installed my JBA headers and made a custom "true dual" off road midpipe for the car (then it finally sounded like I wanted it to).

For the 02 GT conv. that I just got, I have yet to change the exhaust (will be doing very soon).
At first I looked to just swap the mufflers to the Super 44's and leave the rest stock. (I was however unsure if it would give me the rumble I truly wanted). I personally have heard and decided to leave the factory cat-back and only swap the mid-pipe with an off road H-pipe. (this will also allow me to change it back to stock without taking it to a shop).

But to each their own. I do feel that Flowmaster offers a good variance in sound via their different series. Have fun, and hope you find the perfect tone you are after.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I probably will go with the Flowmasters and tell the man at the shop that I want to keep my stock ones for a reinstall just in case I do not like the sound. I don't have the money to play musical mufflers right now. I will update soon-- Thanks again
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015
Rookie
2.3L Member

I just installed the American Thunder catback system from Flowmaster. Couldnt be happier, just the tone that I was going for. Not too loud, but a real nice rumble.

2001 GT Convertible

BBK 78MM throttle intake, SR CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well, I got the Flowmasters installed and love the sound and tone until 2000 RPMs. Then it is as if a switch is turned on. The drone is really bad. Bad enough to consider putting the stock mufflers back on and selling the Flows. I'm going to run it for a few more weeks and then see how I feel.
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special20 View Post
Well, I got the Flowmasters installed and love the sound and tone until 2000 RPMs. Then it is as if a switch is turned on. The drone is really bad. Bad enough to consider putting the stock mufflers back on and selling the Flows. I'm going to run it for a few more weeks and then see how I feel.

They change in tone a little bit as they are used (broke in). Mine didnt sound like flowmasters at all for a few weeks. Put a few hundred miles on them and see what you think. Hope you like them.

2003 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed - Mostly stock 4.6... 455 rwhp and 573 ft/lbs torque. (SOLD due to divorce)

SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special20 View Post
Upgrade the audio system, no exhaust drone can compete with some GN'R or Metallica being cranked up.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Upgrade the audio system, no exhaust drone can compete with some GN'R or Metallica being cranked up.
Maybe thats why I dont notice mine. Mach 1000 system in my car lol

Apprentice

Magnaflows.........Had them on my vert fox body
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
My dronmasters (which I love) drone from 1800-2000 pretty badly but with my 4.10s I'm rarely in hat rpm range anymore it's either below or above.

They may tone down a bit as they break in but they may not. Mine did not...I still love them though!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well, the Flowmasters did not last a few weeks. Reinstalled the stock mufflers and do not miss the drone. I will save my pennies and try something else at a later date. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page