If anyone was wondering what ATAKs sound like.. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thumbs up If anyone was wondering what ATAKs sound like..

Borla ATAKs on a otherwise stock 2v.
Stock Headers/Mid, Unmolested Engine.

I couldn't find a video like this anywhere, so I figured might as well try and help someone out if they were looking at ATAKs too!

Here is the video, it's 15 seconds long. Just 3 revs.

A video I posted on IG, I personally think its better quality.

2004 DSG Mustang GT Coupe with a 5 speed manual transmission
Premium with IUP
~35k Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Gotta love Borla, Corvette $$ for a Mustang catback.

They do sound awesome though.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Love the Borlas! Sounds great. Are you planning on upgrading the midpipe eventually?

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
Love the Borlas! Sounds great. Are you planning on upgrading the midpipe eventually?
Yeah, I want to go BBK LTs and BBK O/R H.

Premium with IUP
~35k Miles
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
It will be loud Should sound pretty awesome though!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Has a real nice sound to it man. Thanks for sharing the video. Longtubes and off road x or h-pipe should really make her sing.

2003 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed - Mostly stock 4.6... 455 rwhp and 573 ft/lbs torque. (SOLD due to divorce)

Currently working on Coyote Swap of a 2004 GT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015
BOSS Member

Just not my thing.....kinda tinny/raspy (in real life)........kinda the "Ricer-Type" sound.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_DSG_GT View Post
Yeah, I want to go BBK LTs and BBK O/R H.
It's gonna sound really nice with those. My only suggestion is that you do your homework on LT's and try to be sure it's the right move for you. They sound absolutely awesome, but one of the big drawbacks is that next time you do a clutch job you will be unbolting at least one of them so you can pull the transmission. If emissions testing is something your car is subject to then depending on your state/local laws they could present an issue there as well. Here in CA they are outlawed simply because the O2 sensor is relocated - they have a rule about that; doesn't matter if you still pass the sniffer or not, the eco-nuts here are nihilistic in their legislation and enforcement of.

If I were to do LT's, it makes it initially a little bit bigger job but will save you some sanity later, I would also install a new clutch and also swap the factory boat anchor for an aftermarket K member. In addition to shaving 60 lbs or so off the front end, should you ever need to unbolt the headers somewhere down the road you will have much easier access to the flange bolts, which are all but impossible to get to with the factory stamped steel K member.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
It will be loud Should sound pretty awesome though!
Thats the hope and end goal! ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew01 View Post
Has a real nice sound to it man. Thanks for sharing the video. Longtubes and off road x or h-pipe should really make her sing.
Thanks man, I think it sounds 100x better in person and so far everyone has complimented it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Just not my thing.....kinda tinny/raspy (in real life)........kinda the "Ricer-Type" sound.
To each their own, but IMHO it definitely doesn't sound "ricer-type" at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
It's gonna sound really nice with those. My only suggestion is that you do your homework on LT's and try to be sure it's the right move for you. They sound absolutely awesome, but one of the big drawbacks is that next time you do a clutch job you will be unbolting at least one of them so you can pull the transmission. If emissions testing is something your car is subject to then depending on your state/local laws they could present an issue there as well. Here in CA they are outlawed simply because the O2 sensor is relocated - they have a rule about that; doesn't matter if you still pass the sniffer or not, the eco-nuts here are nihilistic in their legislation and enforcement of.

If I were to do LT's, it makes it initially a little bit bigger job but will save you some sanity later, I would also install a new clutch and also swap the factory boat anchor for an aftermarket K member. In addition to shaving 60 lbs or so off the front end, should you ever need to unbolt the headers somewhere down the road you will have much easier access to the flange bolts, which are all but impossible to get to with the factory stamped steel K member.
As far as I am aware, LTs should be O.K. here, since a lot of my club runs them, and I was actually thinking about a new clutch in the near, near future, also, what K member would you personally suggest?

Premium with IUP
~35k Miles
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

^ Ah yeah, see you're in AZ. Pretty sure you can do just about whatever you want with your car there...

I still have the stock boat anchor, but have heard good things from others here (Fordman777, care to chime in??) about the UPR k member. Theirs is one of very few, if not the only one that will allow the reuse of the factory A arms and suspension setup. Most other K members require that you go with a coilover setup up front - which isn't a bad thing in the least, but again does add significant cost.

Maximum Motorsports also makes a very high quality piece (pretty much everything they make is), but will require a coilover conversion.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2valve , ataks , borla , mustanggt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page