Stupid clearcoat!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Stupid clearcoat!!

This is joint a pointless thread, for me to vent.

I just finished painting the (4) interior trim pieces. Everything laid well.
I did most of the clear coat Saturday night, and though lighting in my garage is good, it is not spectacular. Well some where along the line some dust particles got in the clear on the lower piece of what I call the waterfall (where shifter comes out of), and I sprayed right over them.

So yesterday I notice it when I go to wet sand. the other 3 pieces turned our great, this one turned out pretty good, but these little specs annoyed the hell out of me. So I tried wet sanding a little more (cause it cant be all the way down , right), a little more, I changed grit, a little more..........CRAP burn, try to touch up, worse, no try to fix....uh worse......damn you painting process.....

needless to say I am re-spraying this piece..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

That sucks.

So, I understand colorsanding and all, but after sanding the clear on a piece like that assumably as to remove dirt, fisheyes, orangepeel and runs how would you go about buffing it back out? Gotta be damn near impossible to get an 8" pad in there.

You using a gun or just trying to do your best with rattlecan?

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Rattle can (using that Dupli-Color perfect match). The other 3 pieces turned out excellent, color match is spot on, smooth mirror like finish.
No doubt, this piece will eventually get there, just heart braking when you think you've scaled the mountain and then bad goes to worse in a matter of moments.

For the wet sanding
I am actually using the small 1" sq. pads that I had in an old headlight reconditioning kit. though they don't call out the grit, it feels like they are around 800 up to 2500.

As for the buffing, I am using compound polish and a 4" cotton, drill buffing wheel. low RPM and just very carefully. Any small crevices I can not get into and just use good ole elbow grease and a finishing terry cloth.

Once finished, I will post some pics, but of course now the weather is being difficult and it may be too cool the next couple of days for me to go at it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Okay, the drill attachments make sense. Just be patient, it'll come out good. Rattlecan's just a b**** anyway, even if everything goes well it seems like runs (especially with clear) are unavoidable. At least on pieces you care about; go do something like spray an old truck tire and it will come out perfect, lol.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page