curious if anyone would do this? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
curious if anyone would do this?

Hi guys, I am new to the site and wanted to get some feedback on an interesting scenario I've stumbled upon. In the past I've owned 3 sn95 cars two of which were 4.6 2v v8's (98/03). Little over a year ago I found a great deal on a pre-owned 2014 v6 premium (pony pkg,tech pkg) and bought it because my 03 GT had high miles and was abused by previous owner. Anyway, I like to look at other mustangs as kinda like a hobby to see whats out there and I find an interesting car. Its a 98 cobra vert with what appears to be some Roush parts attached to it. (i.e rear bumper, side exhaust with Roush side skirt as well as a vortech supercharger) So I have a few questions I wanted to ask you guys....

1) Did Roush produce/hot rod variants of cobras/Gt's in the late 90's?

2) If you somehow found yourself in a similar situation, would you trade/sell in your ride or perhaps if you had a newer sixxer trade/sell for this cobra?

I'd like to hear arguments for either case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015
Apprentice

I know I wouldn't want to do that if it was my only car.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015
PONY Member

to answer your question, no I don't think Roush or Saleen, ever sold modified Cobra's through Ford dealerships (then or now). always based off of the GT.

Now that is not that a Cobra owner, could not have contacted either company and sent them his cobra to modify.

The more common option, is that the current or previous owner just purchased the roush parts and slapped it on his cobra (actually pretty common for lots of mustangs to do). I have seen many stock GT's who have stuck Roush Exhaust kits on their car, no reason a cobra couldn't do that also.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
I've been doing research on this and apparently there was a parts catalog available at the time to add parts.

Roush Cobra's

I'm intrigued by the car and just finished with the test drive and love it. my only concern is reliability from a car built in 1998...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Depends on the overall condition and mileage. And even at that, it's still a 17 year old car and at a minimum you'll find yourself tinkering with little stuff.

Roush did produce some Stage 1 etc GT's in that SN95 generation, but to my knowledge no Cobra's so my best guess is the current or previous owner added Roush stuff to it.

If the car is in really bitchin shape then that's a tough call. The '11+ V6 cars are nice and all but anything with a V8 always tends to be nicer. Other thing to consider is the finances surrounding your '14 -it may be tough to get out of that car without taking some lumps, assuming it's financed. Other thing to consider is that you have a practically brand new car that won't have any issues for a hopefully long time to come and if that changes then you're at least covered under warranty.

You just gotta do whatever's best for you and works out financially best for you. If there's an online ad for the car feel free to post and we can probably give a little more input.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
I should have mentioned this in the beginning. The 14 sixer gets driven maybe once or twice a week less than 6-10 miles. its more or less taking up space in my garage since I have a company vehicle. I bought the car on a whim because my wife thought; new stang! looks good! has a warranty! etc while my gt at the time was falling apart (changing bbk longtubes on a 03 gt blows...even worse when you gotta take them out and replace the clutch.... This Cobra has 41k on the odometer 1 owner car and is in good shape. only flaws I see on it is some curb rash on the driver side front rim and some small scratches. If I can load the pics, ill put em on here for you guys to see for yourself.

Just an odd spot to be in because I miss the v8. this car may have great features look the part and have a warranty but something about that cobra has me drawn to it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Then get it.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015
PONY Member

I have seen new edge cobra roush very rare
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangologist View Post
I should have mentioned this in the beginning. The 14 sixer gets driven maybe once or twice a week less than 6-10 miles. its more or less taking up space in my garage since I have a company vehicle. I bought the car on a whim because my wife thought; new stang! looks good! has a warranty! etc while my gt at the time was falling apart (changing bbk longtubes on a 03 gt blows...even worse when you gotta take them out and replace the clutch.... This Cobra has 41k on the odometer 1 owner car and is in good shape. only flaws I see on it is some curb rash on the driver side front rim and some small scratches. If I can load the pics, ill put em on here for you guys to see for yourself.

Just an odd spot to be in because I miss the v8. this car may have great features look the part and have a warranty but something about that cobra has me drawn to it.
My 98' GT has 148,500 miles on it. I have had no serious issues yet other than the cooling fan and the fuel pump. A convertible with that much power is going to need some chassis strengthening. Does it have subframe connectors and a strut tower brace?

Honestly, I would jump on that deal and leave the v6 behind..

1998 GT - CAI, trickflow 75mm intake, 3.73 gears, O/R x-pipe, flowmasters, short throw shifter, 24lb injectors. 183k miles
1995 GT vert - 1 of 36 5.0 Appx. 400,000~ factory motor miles (totaled, in garage)
Apprentice

Garage
Since i bought mine (Roush stage 2 V8) have done quit a bit of research rebuilding it and so far never cross one worked on a cobra plattform. Based on my research Roush only modified the V6 and V8 plattform. Being the stage 1 on the V6´s packing complete boy kit (front balance,side balances for the exhaust, rear bumper balances and wing), 17inch wheels and side exhaust. On the GT models they came with stage 2 putting 18inch wheels, full body kit, side exhaust upgraded suspension package and leather seats with roush lettering.. after this two stages they wanted a more powerfull car that match the cobra. A stage 3 came up with an eaton blower and upgraded intake manifold, full suspension upgrade, side exhaust as well and for the body kit they included a new front bumper. Ohh and i almost forgot that they also lunch a 380R were they took a GT and replaced the stock front bumper for the stage 3 fascia, wing and the blower keeping the stock exhaust and stock rear bumper.

Some people like Roush because gives a cool appearance to their rides and yes in my opinion ill go for the cobra that 4v n side exhaust sounds like too much fuuuuun lol!!!

if i missed something guys plz feel free to tell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page