• 1 Post By SoCal2V
  • 1 Post By 6stang02
  • 1 Post By Howelldaddy
  • 1 Post By AlloyPony

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Make sure your hood release cable is not sticking

I checked my oil the other day,closed my hood and lifted up slightly out of habit to make sure it latched.However when I went up the road and got on a bumpy section less than a mile from my house the hood flew up at about 25 to 30mph and shattered my windshield,ripped my drivers side hinge lose and both hood struts.Then after slamming on the brakes the hood came back down trapped my hood strut and bracket under the right side of the hood and landed about 3 inches onto my right fender damaging my paint.I'm just glad my grandson wasn't in the car with me and that I was wearing my sunglasses.There's so many little fine razor sharp shards of glass inside my car you wouldn't believe it.I even had glass all over the back seat.I was able to get my hood aligned at the scene and place a towel on my seat and slowly make my way home at maybe 5mph.I called a trooper and he took about 25 photos and I did the same.After contacting my ins. company I spent at least 3hrs with a shop vac getting the glass off my dash and the rest of the interior working from outside both doors.I then took an old towel and a putty knife and worked the towel into the space between the very front of the dash, bottom of the windshield and covered the dash.I'm glad I did this because the next morning I noticed that the shattered windshield was still sheding glass like a long haired cat sheds hair.I went to work with the shop vac again and cleaned everything but the towel on the dash.At least this time all the glass was in the front so cleanup only took me about an hour.Since I knew this was going to happen until the windshield was out of the car and the ins. Co. said it might take as long as a week to look at the car.I decided it was up to me to minimize this so I came up with a plan to use SAFTY GLASSES,putty knife,leather gloves and 2 large rolls of super wide duct tape to tape up the entire inside of the windshield.Even tho it took me 3hrs to put 2 layers of tape on the windshield I have contained the glass and it is no longer shedding sharp shards of glass.I also went over all the seats with a sticky roller like people use to get lint off their clothes and got some small fine pieces off my seats.Even tho I had looked all over the internet for some info how I might do this,I found none.So thats when I came up with my own plan of attack and made a few videos that I will try to edit into one after the ins. co. gets done.I plan on doing the same thing to the outside as well as tapeing a sheet to the front of the dash and running my power door windows up and trapping the sides of the sheet for when they remove the windshield.If your not very careful and expierenced with autos I wouldn't suggest trying this yourself,or as the saying goes.Don't try this at home.

[SIGPIC]

Last edited by JDZbad00pony; 08-05-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

One thing I left out of my hood release cable post was after I cleaned the glass out the first time,I started looking at the hood latch and other parts to try to figure out why this happened.I examined the underhood latch and safty catch and nothing seemed out of sorts.I then went inside the car and pulled the hood release handle 4 or 5 times in a row and the last time it didn't snap back in all the way.As a matter of fact it only went in about 1/3 of the way.I think that was just enough to make me think it was secure when I lifted the hood to make sure all was ok.I don't really like hood pins but I think I will install a set after this expierence.I have been looking at the 95 cobra cowl hood to fit 99-04 at AM but it's not in stock right now.Does anyone have a code so I could get a discount should I decide to wait and get the hood from them?

[SIGPIC]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Wow that sucks but at least you're alright and sounds like insurance will pick up the tab. As far as the AM discount code, you need to send a PM to one of their reps here, as it has been requested that we do not share it amongst ourselves.

As another option, LatemodelRestoration carries a lot of the same things as AM and a matching forum discount is also available. They have a section over in the Forum Vendors (or whatever it's being called these days; used to be Marketplace) forum here where their discount code is posted for all to see and use.
Edmund K likes this.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015
GT Member

Garage
Both discounts are 6% so very minimal in seeing that huge saving, but still it is beneficial to me and others to use. Latemodel gives their code out and so does UPR but AM requires a 50 post minimum and good standing with the community. I would suggest you buy with latemodel or AM due to free shipping. They are both located in the forum vendors section as socal stated, i pmed alex and he was quick to respond. Good luck!
Edmund K likes this.

19 GT PP1
65 GT A-Code Mustang 289
66 GT A-Code Mustang 289
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
If you call an auto glass repair shop, they will do all the leg work with your insurance company, get the authorization and replace the windshield within 24 hours. At least that is how it works with Safelite Auto in NJ.
Edmund K likes this.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015
PONY Member

Funny you post this, because just last week one of my coworkers got a frantic call from her daughter. Her daughter was on the interstate and a Mustang came flying up behind her in the passing lane, so she moved over to the right lane. As soon as the Mustang went by her, the hood flew open and was ripped off it's hinges. The hood then flew up into the air, spinning, and landed on the front of this girl's car. It wiped out the grille, hood, then went over her windshield and broke it. She's lucky it didn't come through her windshield and kill her.
Edmund K likes this.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
This thread is making me want to go put hood pins on right now! So glad to hear no one was hurt, especially that grandson of yours, JDZ! I've found that on occasion, my release lever doesn't want to actually "release" the hood, until I go and pull on the release lever on the hood itself. It's officially on my fix-it-now list!
By the way, +1 for LateModel Restoration for their discount code being readily available, although I start any parts shopping at either Late Model OR American Muscle; I got my wheels and tires from American Muscle and they arrived quickly, came mounted and balanced from AM, and are beautiful!

It's the car we've always wanted and can now afford, it's NOT a mid-life crisis!!
JLT series 3 CAI, brenspeed 93 octane tune, Pypes "Pype Bomb" muffler deletes *Many fun and attractive interior mods!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the info everyone,It's a big help getting me to the finish line with parts.The car is not a DD so I have plenty of time.I was suprised at all the people that have had this same thing happen.I found comments at nearly every place I looked for the hood online where people had the same thing happen to them.I have the glass on standby and the hinges & cable on there way,all I need to do now is get the hood,struts & pins ordered then I will be able to get the pony back in shape.Thanks a bunch guys.

[SIGPIC]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I just ordered the 95 cobra R cowl hood for my 2000GT from AM.Kinda looking forward to the different look from stock with the scoop.Also as a couple of other members said,I'm very glad my grandson was not in the car.I don't think I will feel comfortable without hood pins now since he is with me more often than not.Thanks guy's

[SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page