Mustang Throttle Body Question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Mustang Throttle Body Question

So, I was thinking lately. Wouldn't a 70mm Throttle Body and Plenum be the best combo for our cars if we use the stock intake manifold? The opening on the manifold is 70mm or pretty close to it so what benefit would getting a 75mm throttle body actually give? I'm not sure if this is how it even works but I figured everything should match so there is no restrictions.

2003 Mustang GT Auto - Airaid CAI, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Catless X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust 1, 4.10 Gears, BBK 78mm Throttle Body Upper Intake Combo, 100 Shot NX Plate Kit, Dyno Tune

Suspension - 4 Cylinder Front Springs, Stock Rear Springs, Team Z CC Plates, Strange 10-way Adjustable Shocks and Struts.

241rwhp and 301tq on Mustang Dyno(outdated new #s coming soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Rumor has it that the stock upper plenum will not accept a 75mm tb without some porting. As far as benefit to upgrading the tb by itself that's pretty minimal; does about as much good as a cai. Especially considering that the stock piece is 65mm, stepping up to a 70mm with the stock plenum seems pretty useless.

The choking point of the intake is the stock plenum; beyond that the next place is the cylinder heads. The PI intake is actually pretty decent and most would advise against replacing it on an engine with stock heads and cams; although with a supercharger there are decent gains to be had with an aftermarket manifold. As far as the 70 vs 75 debate (which apparently continues to rage on in some circles), we used to have a good sticky thread on that a couple years ago over in 4.6 Tech, which was accompanied with actual images of dyno sheets comparing the two. The winner was 75, every time, but only by like 1 to 2 rwhp, which is within a commonly accepted margin of error for dyno testing and at any rate nothing you would ever notice just driving your car.

FWIW, since 2007 I have had the ProProducts 75mm tb and plenum on my car. I figured since it doesn't cost any more than a 70mm then what the hell. Been very happy with it and doing this mod produced very noticeable gains per my in-house butt dyno.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well actually I did say "70mm Throttle Body and Plenum" not just throttle body its cool if you missed that but yeah I just don't see how a 75mm TB would be better than a 70mm TB if the stock manifold would only suck up 70mm itself? I think I seen the thread you were talking about the winning combo ended up being a C&L plenum and Accufab 75mm TB. I also have a bigger TB than 70mm mine is the bbk 78mm but I was just thinking anything over 70mm should be overkill but I'm not sure.

2003 Mustang GT Auto - Airaid CAI, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Catless X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust 1, 4.10 Gears, BBK 78mm Throttle Body Upper Intake Combo, 100 Shot NX Plate Kit, Dyno Tune

Suspension - 4 Cylinder Front Springs, Stock Rear Springs, Team Z CC Plates, Strange 10-way Adjustable Shocks and Struts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

also that chart is showing gains of 9-20 horsepower. that should put me around 281-292 rwhp which I really don't see happening unless my car is a factory freak lol. who knows I might just get my own 70mm TB and Plenum and just get it dyno'd and see the results for myself on my vehicle/combo

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Yeah my bad, didn't see that - thought you were talking about tb only.

Anyway, anything over 70 on an n/a and mostly stock engine (no h/c or f/i) probably is overkill but IMO doesn't hurt anything either. And yeah, you're not gonna see 290 rw with just bolt on's. 290 will take heads and cams on an n/a application, although you can get close to that with cams and lt's (like 280-ish).

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

plus all that info from that thread came from c&l's website so those numbers were probably exaggerated one car was making 277 rwhp with udp x pipe tb and plenum. I wish it was that easy for our cars lol

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015
Apprentice
4.6L Member

SoCal, with the TB and plenum, did you feel or at least hear any noticeable difference? I know you said "according to your butt dyno", haha, so I'm guessing you feel SOMETHING better. Am thinking that combo will be my next engine mod...also, either of you know anyone who has done higher performance cams? Curious about those too but I'm guessing that would pretty a pretty expensive job

NOW: 1994 Mustang GT convertible, Forest Green, 60k ORIGINAL MILES! Flowmaster Super 40s and a Spectre CAI Filter Only.

THEN: 2003 Mustang GT "Black Betty"- Daily driver
K&N CAI, Magnapacks, Rear cats deleted, and all the potential in the world

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLion View Post
SoCal, with the TB and plenum, did you feel or at least hear any noticeable difference? I know you said "according to your butt dyno", haha, so I'm guessing you feel SOMETHING better. Am thinking that combo will be my next engine mod...also, either of you know anyone who has done higher performance cams? Curious about those too but I'm guessing that would pretty a pretty expensive job
I also have an aftermarket but with my mods I honestly didn't feel a difference maybe its just the bbk one isn't as good as other brands but thats my opinion. also as for cams thats what im doing next as for expensive maybe a little if you're doing the job yourself it should only be 600. 800 if you have the place your buying the cams degree them for you. or 1000 if you upgrade springs

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Damn, ok, out of budget for now but hopefully in another 6 months or so it might be doable...when upgrading cams I should upgrade the springs too, ya? Anything else I should check out while the engine is semi-apart?

NOW: 1994 Mustang GT convertible, Forest Green, 60k ORIGINAL MILES! Flowmaster Super 40s and a Spectre CAI Filter Only.

BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I noticed a good improvement with my TB/plenum. If I were to get another 2V I would probably only do TB/plenum, off road midpipe, Steeda UDPS, and a tune for small bolt ons.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLion View Post
Damn, ok, out of budget for now but hopefully in another 6 months or so it might be doable...when upgrading cams I should upgrade the springs too, ya? Anything else I should check out while the engine is semi-apart?
if its a stage 2 cam yes upgrade springs. If its just a stage 1 as long as you don't have too many miles your stock springs will be fine but yea since your in there might as well replace the springs

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
I noticed a good improvement with my TB/plenum. If I were to get another 2V I would probably only do TB/plenum, off road midpipe, Steeda UDPS, and a tune for small bolt ons.
also long tubes are great you really feel the gains on that mod but probably not a "small bolt on" since you have to either drop the motor or lift it

Apprentice
4.6L Member

Cool, thanks guys, someday my Mustang will actually be modified, not just in and out of the shop for maintenance and repairs haha..

PONY Member

Sorry im late to the thread (i usually am). Just got back from vaca. My 2 cents, i replaced my cai and tb/plenum this past spring and no doubt, she pulls harder and even on a factory exhaust, the note is louder (not like, different exhaust difference, but you can tell). I went with the new SR single piece 70mm combo and am very happy with it. My butt in by no means a qualified dyno, but id like to think the combo added 10-15hp.
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Hey Sonic, thanks for the two pennies, brother. Hope the vaca was good! I am looking at the SR piece too. Plan it for September or October, once my new job starts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page