Mod suggestion requests - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Mod suggestion requests

Hey all,

I recently got a 2000 GT 5 speed. I've about finished tuning the car back up to appropriate running condition and am now looking to start filtering my finances towards upgrades.

My end goal is somewhere in the 350-400 range, nothing crazy - none of those pie in the sky hopes and dreams kind of thing. I'm not trying to wake up tomorrow with a race car, I don't want to spend tens of thousands, but I'm not looking to be cheap about it either - it's an extended goal over the next year or so.

I'm basically a complete newbie when it comes to modifications, so... could ya'll help point me in the right direction?

At the moment, the car has:
K&N intake
S&L exhaust (debating replacement)
Exedy lightweight flywheel (heat cracks killed the stock, this was a need to replace, not want to replace)

I've seen some recommendations floating around to replace the TB w/ a 75mm and install an intake plenum (it seems to almost always be C&L). Is that something worth considering? Also, does anyone know anything about the combination throttle intake plenums that are the TB and plenum in one?

Thanks in advance!

- Salvatore

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
To get that power out of the 2 valve 4.6, you're best bet is to put a blower on it. It's the cheapest and most logical route at least, and you can get a procharger or vortech kit in the $5K ballpark. And from my understanding they're a pretty straight forward install. And that should get you somewhere between 360- low 400s at the wheels.

INSTAGRAM --@allen_nightmare5oh
2014 5.0 6R80 - Mods - Bama Tune, Roush Axle Backs. - 1/4 Mile - 12.56 @ 116.8

2005 GT 5-spd - Mods - JLT 3 Intake, Bama 93 Tune, MAC Boomtubes. - 1/4 Mile - 13.28 @106 --- SOLD!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015
PONY Member

The plenum in the bigger restriction, replacing that, alone with the stock tb will net bigger gains that replacing the tb alone.
Accufab is a favorite of many and has almost all great reviews (70 or 75mm). This is the priciest combo. (2 piece, polished)
Trick flow offers an inexpensive option that seems to go over well, but every post i have read, has indicated that you will need to modify the throttle linkedge to get the cable to fit properly. SVE (late models house brand). Looks to be the exact same as the trick flow. Also 70 or 75mm. (2 piece), sve only in machine finish, TF in machine or black powder coat finish).
I have the SR 70mm single piece polished piece and am very pleased with price, performance, and finish. (polished or black powder coat).
Most run a 75mm. A few on here have complained about mildly modded or stock engines bogging a bit on 75mm, most have no complaints.

I assume you are wanting 350-400 engine hp and not rear wheel. Honestly from what i have researched so far that will take a 2v a little more than you may be thinking. Here is what i suggest.
1) talk to stevew01. His na motor build has him in the 400hp range +/-, before his no2.
2). Consider a blower. What ever your flavor (twin screw, roots, vortec/paxton). Our engines do well blown and i think you would be there all day long.
3). The full bolt on route..(full exhaust with long tubes, ud pullies, cai, tb/plenum, and tune). With stock heads/cams. Will wind you more in the 320 +/- engine hp range.

Thats my 2cents.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the input! All great things for me to mull over and research more.
=
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Ya brother, as others have said, look into a supercharger for the time being. Best bang for your buck for the HP you are looking into. Also, is your pony a convertible or coupe? Especially if it's a vert, get some suspension mods! None of these will increase your HP per se, but will increase your ability to use your car's full power by keeping it planted on the ground and handling as tight as you want to get full potential from your pony. Look into rear lower control arms (often referred to as LCAs), subframe connectors (particularly useful for convertibles), and maybe even some lowering springs or a strut tower brace. You can find all of these on AmericanMuscle or Late Model Restoration

NOW: 1994 Mustang GT convertible, Forest Green, 60k ORIGINAL MILES! Flowmaster Super 40s and a Spectre CAI Filter Only.

THEN: 2003 Mustang GT "Black Betty"- Daily driver
K&N CAI, Magnapacks, Rear cats deleted, and all the potential in the world

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015
PONY Member

I agree. Just save $$$ until you can buy a supercharger kit.

My car:
2001 GT automatic
110,000 miles
Flowmaster mufflers

A friend's car:
2004 GT automatic
Around 60,000 miles
MSD ignition
Upgraded plenum
CAI
Underdrive pulleys
Headers
Full exhaust
4.10 gears
93 octane tune from Bama maybe?
18x10 wheels in the rear with wider tires
Mach 1 grille delete and lower splitter

Which of these cars do you think would win if we ran each other? Well, we've run from a 45 MPH roll a couple of times and last night we ran from a stand-still. When we run from a roll we're door to door. When we ran on a green light, I reacted slightly faster and got about 1 car on him. He never caught me. At about 90 he was starting to slightly reel me in a bit but we backed out of it.

My point is this: bolt-on mods are like taking stacks of $100 bills and tossing them out the window. Back when I had my '08 it was stock except for mufflers and I ran my brother's '06 with heavy bolt-ons and FRPP cams and had the same results. He immediately ordered a blower kit. Lol. Just save your money until you can afford the forced induction. That's what I'm going to do. I am very fortunate that I had the ability to run other cars in our group with heavy mods. It taught us all a lot about what works and what doesn't on these cars and it saved me a bunch of $$$.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB

Last edited by AlloyPony; 08-23-2015 at 08:03 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to saleenmustang27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
I agree. Just save $$$ until you can buy a supercharger kit.

My car:
2001 GT automatic
110,000 miles
Flowmaster mufflers

A friend's car:
2004 GT automatic
MSD ignition
Upgraded plenum
CAI
Underdrive pulleys
Headers
Full exhaust
4.10 gears
93 octane tune from Bama maybe?
18x10 wheels in the rear with wider tires
Mach 1 grille delete and lower splitter

Which of these cars do you think would win if we ran each other? Well, we've run from a 45 MPH roll a couple of times and last night we ran from a stand-still. When we run from a roll we're door to door. When we ran on a green light, I reacted slightly faster and got about 1 car on him. He never caught me. At about 90 he was starting to slightly reel me in a bit but we backed out of it.

My point is this: bolt-on mods are like taking stacks of $100 bills and tossing them out the window. Back when I had my '08 it was stock except for mufflers and I ran my brother's '06 with heavy bolt-ons and FRPP cams and had the same results. He immediately ordered a blower kit. Lol. Just save your money until you can afford the forced induction. That's what I'm going to do. I am very fortunate that I had the ability to run other cars in our group with heavy mods. It taught us all a lot about what works and what doesn't on these cars and it saved me a bunch of $$$.

If you are asking opinions on who would win in a race between your 01 GT and your friend's 04 GT with said mods then your friend's car should win with even just the 4.10 gears. If you are as close to winning or even beat him as you stated, then he is not as good driver as you. I guess the same goes for your brother with his heavily modified '06. The driver mod is probably the best mod you can have for your car.

1998 GT- 5 speed. Crystal White. C&L CAI, 80mm MAF, TrickFlow 75mm throttle body, TrickFlow Upper intake plenum, Underdrive pullies, BBK catted X-pipe, 4.10 gears, limited slip diff with carbon fiber discs, moser 31 spline axles. MM FLSFCs, Screaming demon coil packs, Ford Racing 9mm wires, SR lowering springs, 95 cobra R rims, black, machined lip 18X9's in front, 18X10's in rear, Bullitt style pedals, SVE race seats.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenmustang27 View Post
If you are asking opinions on who would win in a race between your 01 GT and your friend's 04 GT with said mods then your friend's car should win with even just the 4.10 gears. If you are as close to winning or even beat him as you stated, then he is not as good driver as you. I guess the same goes for your brother with his heavily modified '06. The driver mod is probably the best mod you can have for your car.
Yeah but we're talking automatics. All you have to do is hold the pedal on the mat. Driver mod doesn't really come into play here.

I'm not suggesting that my car is awesome. All I'm demonstrating is that a person can spend a fortune on bolt-on mods and the power gains are going to be minimal if any at all when you head out on the road.

Supercharger kits are the best bang for the buck...but having said that I don't have one for the same reason most guys don't have one...it's hard to come up with $4,500 to throw at a 15 year old car. So I understand that it's not as simple as just buying a blower kit tomorrow.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Best money I've spent on my car are the following:

Nitrous System, 4.10s, tuner, short throw shifter, midpipe.

Good luck with your build dude. At the end of the day it's all money and time.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to saleenmustang27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenmustang27 View Post
Yeah but we're talking automatics. All you have to do is hold the pedal on the mat. Driver mod doesn't really come into play here.

I'm not suggesting that my car is awesome. All I'm demonstrating is that a person can spend a fortune on bolt-on mods and the power gains are going to be minimal if any at all when you head out on the road.

Supercharger kits are the best bang for the buck...but having said that I don't have one for the same reason most guys don't have one...it's hard to come up with $4,500 to throw at a 15 year old car. So I understand that it's not as simple as just buying a blower kit tomorrow.
Ah, I miss understood your post. I do agree that superchargers are the best bang for the buck and I do struggle with the reality of strapping a $5000 blower on a $2000 car. Lol. I'm in the same boat. Is it worth the money? Granted, the wow factor is great but I've driven some nice bolt on Stangs and they are pretty fun too. I guess its preference and how much $ you want to spend on the vehicle.

1998 GT- 5 speed. Crystal White. C&L CAI, 80mm MAF, TrickFlow 75mm throttle body, TrickFlow Upper intake plenum, Underdrive pullies, BBK catted X-pipe, 4.10 gears, limited slip diff with carbon fiber discs, moser 31 spline axles. MM FLSFCs, Screaming demon coil packs, Ford Racing 9mm wires, SR lowering springs, 95 cobra R rims, black, machined lip 18X9's in front, 18X10's in rear, Bullitt style pedals, SVE race seats.
PONY Member

a t/b on your stock car will most likely cost u h.p not add any
GT Member
S197 Member

Like the others said 350rwhp you would need a blower kit. JPC has a complete kit for around 3grand I believe, its gonna be best bang for the buck. The bolt on power in a 2v will get old real quick. N/A 300rwhp can be done with full bolt ons, long tubes and cams. But after all that the supercharger will still be best. Nitrous is another cheap way to add great power to a 2v. N/A my 04 auto went 13.8 with UD pulleys, X pipe, Cold air intake and slp LM1 exhaust. Added the 100 shot 12.7 12.8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page