Speedster Tonneau - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Speedster Tonneau

I am having a problem with the button snaps that are provided by the manufacturer to secure the speedster covers . My car rides very stiff and the covers can pop off the snaps when hitting sharp bumps which allows them to slide forward rubbing the roll bar . Also when the covers slide forward they are no longer secure along the rear edge so the only fastening point is the bar connected to one of the rear seat belts . I am considering using hood pins to lock these things down as i have no confidence that they would remain attached at highway speeds . Because of a curved cross section at the likely mounting point my options are limited , i'm looking at these :

Urethane Hood Pins - WILD HORSES 4X4 & Off-Road Parts

Thoughts ?

2000 Spring Edition ZY Mustang GT Convertible ....BBK CAI , BBK 70 MM TB , Flows , Hypertech Tuner , Vogtland 1.6" Springs , Tokico HP , MM CC plates , Steeda flsfc's , Bullitt Calipers , D/S 13" rotors , 03 Cobra Alum 17" mini-spare , Chrome Saleen 18x9/18x10 , 265/295 35 Potenza's , sequentials , rear honeycomb , smoked headlites , tint , CDC Bar , Mach chin spoiler , black bullitt fuel door , speedster tonneau .
!996 Pearl White/Black Lincoln MarkVIII LSC .... stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Had a suggestion for industrial strength velcro in place of the snaps . Might work and would be invisible when the covers are installed .

2000 Spring Edition ZY Mustang GT Convertible ....BBK CAI , BBK 70 MM TB , Flows , Hypertech Tuner , Vogtland 1.6" Springs , Tokico HP , MM CC plates , Steeda flsfc's , Bullitt Calipers , D/S 13" rotors , 03 Cobra Alum 17" mini-spare , Chrome Saleen 18x9/18x10 , 265/295 35 Potenza's , sequentials , rear honeycomb , smoked headlites , tint , CDC Bar , Mach chin spoiler , black bullitt fuel door , speedster tonneau .
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

The hood pins I think are a pretty cool idea. But I would try the velcro you mentioned first, since that will only cost about $5 to try and also since once there's holes in the car and in the speedster cover there is no turning back.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
The hood pins I think are a pretty cool idea. But I would try the velcro you mentioned first, since that will only cost about $5 to try and also since once there's holes in the car and in the speedster cover there is no turning back.
My thoughts exactly , the velcro can be easily removed it it doesn't work .

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I picked up the velcro at Home Depot and it looks like it will work perfectly . I'll decide if i also need a mechanical fastener to further lock them down after seeing how the velcro performs . The covers are fairly heavy and the leading edge is sharp , make a perfect guillotine if they were ever to break loose in a collision .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page