rim decision help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
rim decision help

Ok im 100% stuck......I need to get some more meat on the road so i decided ill get some wider rims......well that opened up a big decision. AFS is coming out with 18x10 and 18x10.5 mach 1 style rims polished/MAC black which should be available at the end of September. So immediately i set my mind on those...then i see a picture of a DSG mach 1 with 18x10 inch FR500 rims and that looks really good in the silver....all i can find are pics of every other color mach 1 with the 18x9 AFS rims that have the MAC black insert color than mine and i can find pics of DSG mach 1s with the silver FR500s everywhere...So my question is, does anyone have a pic of a DSG Mach 1 with 18 inch AFS Mach 1 style rims??? Any opinions??? (i know there are many but i do enjoy hearing peoples thoughts)

2004 DSG Mach 1: K&N FIPK, X-Pipe with SLP High-Flow cats, Flowmaster Super 40s, MM C/C plates, 4.10 gears (auto), PHP Intake spacer, Steeda Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

The AFS Mach1 replica's, 18x9/10 in chrome were absolutely #1 on my list for the longest time. Followed by FR500's in the same size and finish. When it finally came around that I was able to score a new set of shoes though, both were out of my price range, especially the Mach's. I ended up with 17x9/10.5 Termi replicas in chrome (of course, because chrome wheels have been scientifically proven to be the best - not an opinion, lol).

So the AFS wheels get my vote, I like those and the FR's about equally but the Mach's are a bit more unique since other than the factory version you just don't see them often (I have no idea why the aftermarket other than AFS has ignored this wheel) so that's what kinda pushes them over the edge for me. Polished finish w/ black inserts is gonna be pretty sweet; it's a very subtle yet at the same time noticeable change over what you already have.

Otherwise get the FR's in 18", you absolutely can't lose with those either.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015
PONY Member

I'm eyeballing some wheels for my car too, hopefully this winter. But for me, I'm having a hard time deciding between form vs. function. I'm typically a function guy. Which for a car would mean keeping weight down as much as possible. This maintains acceleration, braking, and efficiency. But on the flip side, if you go for form then all you're interested in is looks, and everybody knows that a 10" wide wheel on the back and perhaps a 9" on the front with a pretty chrome finish looks the best (at the expense of being really heavy and sucking gasoline and power from your driveline).

So I'm torn, personally. I really believe that one of the reasons all the guys in my car club are surprised at "how good that car runs" is because it's stock (i.e., lightweight) and all their cars have lots of mods and big heavy wheels on them. Besides, with a stock 2v under the hood it's not like I really have traction problems anyway. Haha.

In your situation I think you should stick with the Mach 1 style. Obviously either would look great...but if I had a somewhat limited edition car I would try to keep it somewhat original looking. But maybe that's just me.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
FR500s gets my vote out of those two.

If you want my real input....03/04 Termis!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
LOL. I would go with Terminator rims but to many people around here have those and bullits plus i love deep dish rims.....anyway im still stuck lol, but im slowly becoming more partial to the AFS 18s and really they arent that much more than the FR500s with NITTO tires installed(only 1 mustang has those around here in 17s). Im with you on the originallity aspect and the fact that no one does reproductions of the Mach 1 rims. I would really like to see a pic of a Dark Shadow Grey Mach or GT with the AFS rims with the MAC Black inserts. If someone can do a great job with photoshop i can post a pic of the wheels and a pic of my car with the same angle to see what it looks like if it comes down to that. Thanks for all the responces and input. As for weight those AFS rims arent much heavier than the originals. I shouldnt see much if any downfall to adding those or the FR500s to my car. Thanks again.

2004 DSG Mach 1: K&N FIPK, X-Pipe with SLP High-Flow cats, Flowmaster Super 40s, MM C/C plates, 4.10 gears (auto), PHP Intake spacer, Steeda Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page