Looking at used 2004 GT tomorrow, need some opinions... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Looking at used 2004 GT tomorrow, need some opinions...

So, I'll be looking at this car tomorrow: 2004 mustang gt

and I got this response from the seller after I asked if he had any maintenance records:

"Don't know to much about it?didnt have it to long there's two things needs attention driver side window needs a new motor. When driving 25-30 mph vibrates little other then that it runs good no oil leaks."

Now, the window motor seems to be an easy fix, but what could the vibration at 25-30 be? Is there something I could look at that might show me what's causing it? I was doing some research and one thing I saw said it could be misbalanced wheels. With this car having wide rear tires could this be it, or would it vibrate at every speed/rpm with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Yeah could be out of balance tire(s), or if the vibration is coming from up front then possibly may need a new hub/bearing assy (about a $60 part and very easy to replace) but really you'll have to go drive it and see. Chances are it isn't any sort of catastrophic problem - it's a used car from a seller you don't know though so ya never know lol, but "chances are" it isn't a big deal or otherwise super expensive fix. If you don't know a whole lot mechanically, it may be in your best interest to pay a shop/mechanic of your choosing to look over the car and give an opinion on it's overall condition (and obviously advise on the vibration issue) prior to you pulling the trigger and purchasing.

Window motor replacement is pretty easy, the part itself is somewhere in the $50 -$75 range depending on where you buy. Now, if the window is stuck in the "down" position then replacement is a bit more difficult (I've had to do it before, it's not fun at all that way). But window "up", super easy.

Other than that it looks like a very nice and basically bone stock Mustang.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015
PONY Member

As long as the vibration is coming from a wheel, hub, tire, driveshaft, etc... it's an easy fix. But I'd make darn good sure that the car hasn't been tweaked from a crash or accident. Sometimes it's really hard to tell so I agree that taking it to a body shop and/or mechanic and having them put it on a rack and look it over would be money well spent.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015
PONY Member

Another thing to check would be the alignment. His posting listed Eibach lowering springs as one of the mods and I noticed under the hood no caster/camber plates. Mustangs can be lowered without requiring CC plates to properly align (my car is an example). But I am using Ford "B" springs that do not drop the car as low as many others. Typically Eibach's different lines lower a car from 1.5" +. Improper alignment can also cause a vibration.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

All great points guys, thanks! I had a beautiful Legend Lime Mustang that I sold earlier this year and I'm itching to get another Stang.

Could the vibration at a certain speed range have anything to do with the tranny?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

I suppose it's possible, but very unlikely. If the vibration had anything to do with the transmission it is my best guess that the car would have much worse symptoms than a simple vibration at low speed.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So the owner sent me an e-mail saying he wasn't going to sell the car until he got the vibration fixed and that I should talk with him next Wednesday. So, we'll see what it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page