Engine/ transmission vibration while stopped in Drive - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Engine/ transmission vibration while stopped in Drive

i'm having a similar issue that Joenaples was having, https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ped-drive.html
'cept of course my car is a 2001 GT. i did recently have the transmission serviced but i've been noticing the vibration since before that.

the vibration seems to go away at just a few miles per hour instead of 10-15 like Joenaples mentioned, but that may not be significant. like him, i only notice the vibration in drive, but not park, reverse, nor neutral

it's been intermittent but seems to be happening more regularly now. when it happens, it will happen during the course of my trip until the car is shut off. if i'm lucky, the next time i start the car, the vibration doesn't happen.

my mechanic told me transmission mounts a while ago but i'm not sure if he knew it was an intermittent vibration. if it was the transmission mounts then wouldn't the vibration be happening all the time instead of intermittently, between trips? also if it were the mounts i would have expected the transmission shop to notice that and fix it? then again the transmission shop was extremely dishonest so they might have just ignored it.

maybe just placebo, but it also seems when the vibration isn't happening, the car drives/accelerates a lot better/smoother...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Ill go for the transmission mount.. last weekend i changed my transmission mount and put in new bolts too.. before this repare i felt lots of vibrations at any speed and or rpm even rough acceleration and shifter movement.. well mine had 14 years without been changed but at the beginning it felt like your description.. Now it feels smoother all the time no vibrations at any speed or rpm.. Bought mine at Late model restoration with all bolts its Ford OEM... also check your engine mounts too and do a full job.. remember that this mounts use rubber and rubber wears faster... hope this helps

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks i'll have it looked at. i find it strange that i just had the transmission rebuilt but they didn't replace the mount. are they two separate things or what? i'll have to look into how the components fit together. i figured the transmission has to come off the mount in order to be rebuilt so if the mount needs to be replaced then shouldn't the tranny shop notice that and at least mention it to me or just replace it as part of the service?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarf View Post
thanks i'll have it looked at. i find it strange that i just had the transmission rebuilt but they didn't replace the mount. are they two separate things or what? i'll have to look into how the components fit together. i figured the transmission has to come off the mount in order to be rebuilt so if the mount needs to be replaced then shouldn't the tranny shop notice that and at least mention it to me or just replace it as part of the service?

Check this video you probably fine something here

https://youtu.be/EAINljLtLfY

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6068C/99-04...nt-Crossmember

And yes they are two separate components.. in order to remove the transmission first the mount needs to come off.. the mount supports the tail of the trans were the shifter is located and maintaine shaft angle.. Sometimes if a part doesnt look old and have signs of wear like mine (shown in pic below) people may assume that is not failing or its prone to fail. Thats is why a part always should be tested before. Maybe that shop didnt pay attention to the mount.. Also check if all the mount bolts are there and tight including the trans ones. You dont want something loose down there.

The pictures are from the last weekend
Also i put the link of where i bought mine there is good info there and comments about it check it out and good luck.. If you have more question about it feel free to ask
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022_2.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	810.1 KB
ID:	480618   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12371 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	254
Size:	463.4 KB
ID:	480626  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015
Rookie

I have bad mounts as well in my 03 auto GT, how do you replace them id rather do it myself, save 200$ in labor.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonschoice View Post
I have bad mounts as well in my 03 auto GT, how do you replace them id rather do it myself, save 200$ in labor.
I've not done it before, but just by the looks of it it looks pretty simple. My understanding is that you don't replace just the rubber mount but rather the entire crossmember.

Support the transmission with a jack, undo the (I think) 6 bolts for the crossmember (2 on each side where it connects to the chassis, and another two where it mounts to the bottom side of the transmission) to remove, and then install the new one. By the looks of it, my best guess is it is about a 15 minute job.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Yes it is a ver yshort and simple labor mine took 20 min
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016
Rookie

I need to replace my crossmember/mount. Do I need to have the car jacked up on all 4 corners or would ramps or just jacking the front end be enough? I'm concerned with trying to support the transmission with it being at an angle
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedEsh View Post
I need to replace my crossmember/mount. Do I need to have the car jacked up on all 4 corners or would ramps or just jacking the front end be enough? I'm concerned with trying to support the transmission with it being at an angle
You only need to have the car raised up enough to allow yourself to fit and work underneath. If some drive-on ramps give you enough room to work then that should be fine.

As far as angle it shouldn't be a problem. Trans is no going to fall off of the car, there are like 12+ bolts holding it to the engine. If you were removing the driveshaft yoke then you would want the car level as to minimize fluid loss but that's not applicable here.

Without having actually looked up the procedure (which I advise you do), I would say that once the car is up on ramps or jackstands or however you do it that a floor jack placed under the tailshaft housing section of the trans, lifted just enough as to put a very light amount of upward pressure (think "support") on the tailshaft should be what you want to do. After the floor jack is in place then go ahead and R&R the crossmember.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page