V6 vs. V8 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

V6 vs. V8

Hey guys, I currently an 04 V6 mustang and am looking to upgrade to a V8, 99-04, some background: bought the car when I was 16 with 30xxx original miles bone stock clean title it's now at 50xxx with basic mods, full sound system upgrade, head unit speakers subs, intake full exhaust gt rear bumper, lowered, bullitt wheels 17x8 front x9 rear, and screaming yellow paint, my parents pay the insurance cause I need to focus on school, I pay for everything else, only reason I didn't get a gt is bc of the high insurance for 16yo, does anyone have an idea of how much extra im gonna be paying for a gt, im 17, no accidents no tickets good studendiscount and I want to upgrade to a gt, in a less loud color Ex. Grey white black with a 5 speed, im going to be paying the difference between the v8 and 6 insurance so I was wondering if this would be expensive or if it seems like a possible route for me? Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to cover all grounds, and wanted to get an idea before I called my insurance company. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
Apprentice

It is probably different for every insurance company, but when my dad asked them about the difference between V6 and V8 insurance they didn't say it was that much.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Yeah just call your ins co and ask. Of course it will be a ballpark number, as the final numbers don't come in until you supply them with the VIN of a car you need to insure, but whatever number they give you should be pretty close.

The biggest factor here is your age/lack of driving experience, not so much the car you're being insured on.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Welcome to the site!!

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the answers guys! I'll be checking on it here soon, I know some friends who have GTs and are the same age as I am and don't have a problem with the cost as much, I believe my car is insured under my dads name too so that should help as well
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I'm 28, full coverage, no accidents, no tickets, I pay$70 a month for the mustang...I would think yours would be at least double that...

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member

+1 on the real $ # is going to be from your insurance agent. Just something to consider...are ya gonna need $ for mods too?

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah im hoping to buy one that's already been lightly modified, so there will probably some upgrades im looking to do just depends on what I get, but yes, probably using some cash on mods.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015
GT Member
S197 Member

When had my daily driver (A malibu) and switched to a Mustang my insurance only went up 2 dollars per month
I'm 25 years old with 4 points on my DL. I pay 83 a month
Apprentice

Garage
2014 ram 2500 laramie is many times more than my mustang to ensure.

Funny enough I sold my Impala to buy my stang and the stang's insurance is lower by 8 bucks a month!

I am 21 and have a clean record.

1995 Mustang V6 w/ BBK CAI, Flowmaster True Dual Exhaust, BAMA ELIMINATOR CHIP, Auburn HP Series LSD.
Current Cars:
1995 3.8L V6 Mustang
2014 5.7L Hemi V8 RAM 2500 Laramie
2015 Infiniti QX80 Limited
SHELBY GT 350 Member

V6 vs. V8

Too many variables. Age, location, year of mustang etc. The last one will determine price more so than anything, not because of horsepower rating but value of the car. Full coverage for a brand new one will cost more than full coverage for a '00.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Apprentice

Garage
like others have said, too many variables

with only liability your insurance will be lower but if your parents bought you a car that nice for your first car they probably don't have an issue getting you full coverage

at 25 with a reckless driving ticket my insurance for my 2000 GT with a customized package from progressive is about $138/mo

honestly insurance was the last thing i was thinking about when i bought my car. i was tired of driving a poop grandma car with an automatic transmission.

one day on the job i saw someone selling their convertible GT for a more than reasonable price and i just scooped it up. sold my grandma car and bought car parts.

2000 GT Convertible. Windsor to Romeo swap.
Rookie

I'm 18, only accident on record was running over a raccoon and it totaling out my cobalt before I got my mustang last year. Other than that clean record. No tickets or other accidents and paying 150$ monthly from state farm. BTW before I got my mustang for a year and a half I was paying 80$ for the cobalt ss with a clean record.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

^ All it took to total a Cobalt was hitting a raccoon? I knew GM had some issues, but damn I didn't think it was that bad.
MustangLife likes this.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Awesome, doesnt sound like insurance should be too big of a problem then, thanks for all the feedback!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page