planning what to do with stang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

planning what to do with stang

Hey all of you, I haven't been on this website for quite a while. So about a year ago my 02 gt decided to give out on me. I was driving normally and it just turned of and it sounded nasty when I tried turning it on. I eventually was able to turn it on and I pulled into a parking lot and it turned off and was having trouble turning on. I called my mechanic and he said if I can turn it on and drive it to take it home, so I did with some struggle. My mechanic came and checked it out and said I might have gotten lucky and it might just be the timing chain. So I tell him to fix her up and he did. He said there was a mess behind the timing chain cover. So he fixed her up and turned her on. He said everything sounded good until it got a bit warm and it started knocking. My heart dropped and he said it most likely got a rod knock. So I spent 1k for the repair of the timing chain and other stuff that broke and the labor and the car isn't even fixed so that money was pretty much gone to waste. My stang has been sitting in my parking lot collecting dust for months. I finally decided to save up some money to fix it up. The problem is I don't know what to do with it. Either swap it, buy another 2v and install it, or rebuild the 2v it has. I'm not planning on spending a crazy amount of money either. I just want it up and running in good condition. Has anyone rebuild their 2v that had a rod? How much did it cost in total, and any problems after the rebuild. Or maybe i can buy a new 4.6 2v block and some upgraded parts like the heads, cams, ect and swap everything else that I can from the 2v i have. How much would that come out to cost and would that be a good idea? My mechanic said he has a fresh built teksid block with 0 miles that he can sell me with cobra heads and springs and some stage 3 cams for 7k. He said he'll hook me up with the installation aswell. What other parts would I have to buy to swap it, and would the stock tranny be able to handle it? How much would I spend for this build. What if i buy a used 2v with lower miles and swap out and upgrade a few parts and install it? Any information will help a lot as well as suggestions. Let me know what you would go with, or what you went with if you had a rod before and why you would do that or went that route. Thank you all, I really hope I learn something and chose the right route to go with my stang. Happy holidays!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015
Rookie

What i would go with is try to find a cheap used block with decent mileage and put that in. I know this place close to me selling 4.6s for $500. If you can find one from an automatic car with ~100k miles for around that price, thats a good deal. I would also swap the motor myself. If you lack the time and mechanical skills, id imagine labor costing ~$1k. $7k seems very steep even for all of the mods.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015
PONY Member

i have two built teksid short blocks. one is a stock build with all balanced bottom end. The other is all forged & balanced. both for sale with or without 99 cobra heads. alot cheaper then your mechanic wants and if u want i can install the engine

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015
PONY Member

if it was my car i would build a teksid 2v. use your heads or trickflow heads. im a big fan of teksid 2v engines, there lighter, stronger, and rare so u wont see many or any
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson3010 View Post
if it was my car i would build a teksid 2v. use your heads or trickflow heads. im a big fan of teksid 2v engines, there lighter, stronger, and rare so u wont see many or any
Hey thanks for the reply. I don't want to spend too much on the stang. I was considering buying a used 2v block and a new crank shaft and rod bearings, etc. How much would a built 2v teksid come out to cost?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Six View Post
What i would go with is try to find a cheap used block with decent mileage and put that in. I know this place close to me selling 4.6s for $500. If you can find one from an automatic car with ~100k miles for around that price, thats a good deal. I would also swap the motor myself. If you lack the time and mechanical skills, id imagine labor costing ~$1k. $7k seems very steep even for all of the mods.
This is a really good idea but I do lack the tools and the mechanic skills. If I knew someone who Knew how to work and build engines I would definitely do it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016
Rookie

My 4.6 just took a dump too. But I was running a 2.1 kenne bell. I'm having a stroked 5.0 being built now. If you dont have the money to spend, I'd just find another stock 4.6 and go that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page