Aluminum rack and pinion bushings a good idea? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Aluminum rack and pinion bushings a good idea?

I am going to order the clutch pedal height adjuster from MM and am thinking about getting their aluminum rack and pinion bushings as well. What are your guys thoughts on this? I have searched a ton of threads and everyone seems to have positive reviews on it and people that bought the poly ones wished they had the aluminum ones. I know that it might cause a little bit more road feel in the steering wheel but everyone said that when I bought the poly motor mounts and I am sure glad I got them because I didn't notice any more road vibrations.

The reason I am going to replace them is because I am doing some maintenance and would like to stiffen the steering up, it has a pretty lose feeling to it. I would love to get there steering shaft too but for almost $300 I don't think I can foot that bill with all the other things I am doing right now to it.

Here is a list of some of the other things I am doing right now to my car:
Clutch pedal height adjuster
Rack and pinion bushings
Fix a power steering leak (hope the rack and pinion isn't messed up)
Ford racing TOB
Ford racing pilot bearing
Clutch fork
Pivot ball
Tansmission fluid change
Wheel bearings
Tore the interior out and fixed some rust under the carpet and shampooed everything
Sometime would like to get new shocks and struts but need to be on a budget

Anyways since I am always on here and never post my own threads thought I would ask your guys for your recommendations before I buy them. If I do get them I wont be able to review them for a few months because my car is currently in "storage" (under the car cover in my garage for winter) but I would like to use this thread as an update thread for them too.

Jon, still liking that pedal height adjuster?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

I have poly offset bushings, installed them way back when I lowered my car. The only downside I have heard about them is that they can shift under hard suspension/steering load such as a/x track. My car obviously isn't subjected to that and 8+ years later they are still in their original installed positions. And I had so much other work done at around the same time (springs, c/c plates, lca's etc) that I can't say I noticed any difference with the bushings.

As your research suggests, I don't think you can go wrong with the solid (aluminum) bushings. The amount of change in steering feel could probably vary though, depending on how worn/deteriorated your current bushings are.

What may be worth doing is look underneath the car and watch the rack while somebody else runs the wheel back and forth. Car on the ground so that the suspension is loaded. See if the rack shifts at all, that will tell you right there how much you do or don't need these bushings at the moment.

If your struts are worn, new ones will tighten up steering response a lot. I only got to put about 8 miles on my Koni str.t's before my car decided it's time for a new flywheel (and now sits parked for the time being) but I was absolutely amazed at how crisp steering response became with installing new struts.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I would get the solid bushings for the steering rack. If you ever decide to upgrade the O member you need them anyway (with the MM one you do I think).

I still love my clutch pedal height adjuster! One of the best mods I've done, especially for the price.

Keep us updated on the progress. You are doing the same thing I did a few weeks ago.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Thanks guys for the input. Ill get under the car sometime this week and check them out to see if there is play in them. I might go ahead and order them anyway though and install them. Ill post the results.

I bought the car with 60,000 something on the clock and have never replace the shocks and struts so I'm sure they need replaced soon with roughly 125,000 miles on it now.

2000 GT 5 speed
SMR #2415
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Any updates dude?

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I haven't messed with it too much yet, been busy. But I did get almost all the interior back in and ready to go. Just need to check the rack bushings and order some parts.

2000 GT 5 speed
SMR #2415

Last edited by Lackey'sGT; 02-08-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page