I need some engine advice/ info for my 98 GT - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By saleenmustang27

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to saleenmustang27
I need some engine advice/ info for my 98 GT

I'm currently starting to save cash for a new engine for my npi 98 GT: it has 243k miles on it currently. The engine still runs great and burns little oil so I'm not in any rush. I want to run a vortech eventually. I've been leaning toward an MMR built long block, however, they only offer the trick flow heads and I'm hesitant about having them on because I live in CA and not sure if they'd pass smog even with the pi cams. Maybe I'm wrong? Anyone running this setup in CA and know for sure?

I was also thinking of buying a remanufactured engine. I found a site called Promar engine in Paterson, NJ. (Oddly enough they are right down the street from the hospital I was born in.) This option is for a stock long block but significantly cheaper then a forged one.

Ultimately, I'd like to run as much boost as I safely can but also be able to pass smog but not sure if there is a limit on how much boost I can "legally" run.

So I guess the question is:

Would it be worth getting a forged engine if I'm limited (by smog) the amount of boost? (6-9psi)

I would be grateful for any info. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

California is tricky in that regard.

If you absolutley have to be legit Joe Legal about it then it can be a bit limiting in terms of how far you can go with your modding. Even mods considered "entry level" like a Bama tuner are technically not legal here. For many things it depends on the individual technician performing the inspection; some are a bit more anal and will need to see the CARB compliant sticker for every aftermarket part on your car, while others don't care so much as long as all the vac lines are hooked up, PCV and EGR are functional and tailpipe emissions are within the acceptable range. There's a place local to me that is like the latter - last time I had my car done there the guy couldn't have cared less about my cold air and tb/plenum.

Being that your car is pre-2000, you are subject to the usual inspection procedures - visual, sniffer, OBD port plug in. They just loosened the procedures on 2000 and newer vehicles about a year ago; all those vehicles are subject to is an underhood visual and OBD plug in to verify that there are no dtc's.

What I have always been told regarding things like heads/cams etc which are non-CARB compliant is that passing the sniffer portion of the test is all in the tune. Meaning, get a real dyno tune done on your car and have them write an additional tune for the express purpose of emissions inspections and testing.

Personally I think the best or most accurate advice you might get on the subject is to speak with somebody who does tuning for a living. Those guys know all the in's and out's and can help you navigate the bi-annual emissions testing requirement. Some of them even know a guy who runs a emissions test shop down the street that they send their customers to when they need a little "help" after building some 700rwhp twin turbo'd concoction.

There are ways, legal and some a little blurry, to get around all of this.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
California is tricky in that regard.

If you absolutley have to be legit Joe Legal about it then it can be a bit limiting in terms of how far you can go with your modding. Even mods considered "entry level" like a Bama tuner are technically not legal here. For many things it depends on the individual technician performing the inspection; some are a bit more anal and will need to see the CARB compliant sticker for every aftermarket part on your car, while others don't care so much as long as all the vac lines are hooked up, PCV and EGR are functional and tailpipe emissions are within the acceptable range. There's a place local to me that is like the latter - last time I had my car done there the guy couldn't have cared less about my cold air and tb/plenum.

Being that your car is pre-2000, you are subject to the usual inspection procedures - visual, sniffer, OBD port plug in. They just loosened the procedures on 2000 and newer vehicles about a year ago; all those vehicles are subject to is an underhood visual and OBD plug in to verify that there are no dtc's.

What I have always been told regarding things like heads/cams etc which are non-CARB compliant is that passing the sniffer portion of the test is all in the tune. Meaning, get a real dyno tune done on your car and have them write an additional tune for the express purpose of emissions inspections and testing.

Personally I think the best or most accurate advice you might get on the subject is to speak with somebody who does tuning for a living. Those guys know all the in's and out's and can help you navigate the bi-annual emissions testing requirement. Some of them even know a guy who runs a emissions test shop down the street that they send their customers to when they need a little "help" after building some 700rwhp twin turbo'd concoction.

There are ways, legal and some a little blurry, to get around all of this.
Unfortunately, a lot of tuners are hesitant to say that illegal modifications can pass smog and rightly so. If my lively hood was on the line, I would be ambiguous about topics like this. I had a feeling it was all in the tune also. I passed smog a few years ago with a tune on my old 03 cobra. I didn't want to run the stock tune because it was pullied and didn't want any adverse effects. Thanks for the advice SoCal, I think I will opt for the forged bottom end and just crank up the boost. Worst comes to worst, I'll just have it tuned down for smog.

1998 GT- 5 speed. Crystal White. C&L CAI, 80mm MAF, TrickFlow 75mm throttle body, TrickFlow Upper intake plenum, Underdrive pullies, BBK catted X-pipe, 4.10 gears, limited slip diff with carbon fiber discs, moser 31 spline axles. MM FLSFCs, Screaming demon coil packs, Ford Racing 9mm wires, SR lowering springs, 95 cobra R rims, black, machined lip 18X9's in front, 18X10's in rear, Bullitt style pedals, SVE race seats.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Regarding those roadside smog checks they like to set up once in a while, in case you're concerned about that...

They absolutley WILL NOT issue any sort of citation should you happen to be in violation of anything. The only reason there is a CHP officer posted at these is because without a cop there directing cars in nobody would stop.

These roadside checks are instituted by California BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) for the purpose of evaluating CA's emissions testing program effectiveness. I was informed of this by somebody I knew a few years ago who worked for BAR, and again about a year and a half ago when a CHP officer waved me into one the technicians operating the setup informed me of this.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks but I've never seen one of those in the 13 years I've been living on the central coast. It's a lot more relaxed here. I've only seen CHP stopping trucks to check paperwork. I opted for the catted xpipe on the rare occasion that I would get pulled over and the cop checks under the car. I took off the front license plate too and put the 50 year mustang plate there and no cops seem to care or even notice. I'd like to think that they are leaving me alone because of my marine veteran plate but who knows
SoCal2V likes this.

1998 GT- 5 speed. Crystal White. C&L CAI, 80mm MAF, TrickFlow 75mm throttle body, TrickFlow Upper intake plenum, Underdrive pullies, BBK catted X-pipe, 4.10 gears, limited slip diff with carbon fiber discs, moser 31 spline axles. MM FLSFCs, Screaming demon coil packs, Ford Racing 9mm wires, SR lowering springs, 95 cobra R rims, black, machined lip 18X9's in front, 18X10's in rear, Bullitt style pedals, SVE race seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page