Gotten a lot done since the last post, but been too busy with other things to keep this up to date. The engine is pretty much done and ready to go now. I used the garden sprayer method to prime the oil system after I got everything back together. I just pumped all 6 quarts in that way, just to make sure. Getting ready to put the engine in today. Gotta go back under the car and drop the driveshaft, go get the engine hoist, then time for the heavy stuff. I'm going to drop it in with the headers and trans
mounted, then just put the driveshaft back in. Any tricks I should know for getting this thing back in easier?
I installed a full-length windage tray from the 05+ 4.6, that only required minimal modification to fit. Just cut the baffles off the bottom of the oil pan, as well as the scraper off the pickup tube, and it cleared everything just fine. I did take pics of this for anyone that was thinking about trying this, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I did have to remove some of the main bolts because they didn't have the studs to hold they tray. I got a full set of 05+ OEM Ford main bolts and studs, and just replaced the whole lot of them. I also ended up replacing the timing chain guides with new aluminum ones, and the chain tensioners with the iron ratcheting style that sound much more reliable. I had my friend sandblast the valve covers at his work, and I repainted them satin black, along with the Mach-1 upper intake. I made a stupid, and forgot about it being much easier to pull/drop the engine with the intake manifold removed. But it's on now, so I'll have to cover it up real good and find a longer chain or something.
With the new parts assembled and the timing set:
I also found a set of '98 Cobra cams for $200. I just swapped the intakes in straight up. I wanted to advance them a few degrees, but I don't trust those adjustable gears and couldn't find enough info about the Cloyes multi-keyway gears, so decided it was best left for later. Here is the 96-98 Cobra intake cam (left), next to the stock Mach-1 (right) for comparison.
Cams installed with Comp Cams lube:
I had my friend sandblast the new longtubes too, then I resprayed them with a ceramic coating. The H-pipe looked fine, so I didn't bother with it.
The last big hurdle I had to tackle was the wiring harness. I was hoping to modify the Mach-1 harness and make it work by repinning the main connectors, but it and the GT harness are too different. I ended up buying a harness from an 02 manual GT (mine got burnt up in the engine fire). I'm using the EV6 fuel injectors from the Mach-1, so I needed to either get adapters, or swap all the Mach connectors over to the GT harness. I just got the adapters. The ones I got seem pretty good quality, and I don't anticipate any trouble from them. I had to modify the alternator connector, which was easy enough. I just snipped the alternator connector off the Mach-1 and spliced it onto the GT harness (I have wrapped up the wires since I took this).
Last thing I needed to do was lengthen the COP wires. Instead of this, I just cut off the COP harnesses from the Mach-1, then cut out and pulled back the COP wires on the GT harness, and used a couple universal connectors to plug the COP harnesses into the engine harness. This gave it a cleaner look I think. I dont know how well the connectors will hold up, some of the wires have a tendency to back out a little bit if they get moved around too much, so I might need to find some better connectors down the line if I end up having spark issues.
Not gunna lie, pretty nervous about starting it up when its all back in.