"Hope" the 2001 GT - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
Is the Mach 1 engine from a manual car or auto? The manuals came with a forged crankshaft.
I have always heard that, but I have never found any definitive proof and my local Mustang shop says it's not true. One of these days I'll take one apart myself and see.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
I have always heard that, but I have never found any definitive proof and my local Mustang shop says it's not true. One of these days I'll take one apart myself and see.
Interesting...Ford did lower the Rev Limiter on the Auto's pretty significantly. Either the Engine couldn't handle it or the Tranny....

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ashlander Send a message via MSN to Ashlander
I doubt it's just a rumor. Given how easy it'd be to disprove, if it was false I don't think it would have to gotten as widely accepted as it is. With all the times I'm sure a Mach 1's engine or trans has been removed (for whatever reason), I'd expect people to be correcting someone every time they mention it. Plus most vendors seem to sell the same flywheel for the Cobra and Mach 1. I think it's more likely that Mustang shop just had their info wrong.

Anyway, got a 98k 03 Mach (auto) motor shipping sometime next week. Got it for $2025 shipped, and they said they would try to get most of the random bits (hoses, cables, etc) I need for the swap included with it. Sadly it just had the stock exhaust manifolds, so I'll still need to find a set of 4v longtubes.
JonR2006 likes this.

Present
2007 Mustang GT - 5-Speed, Airaid CAI, 4.10s
2001 Mustang GT "Mock 1" - 5-Speed, 03 Mach 1 Swap, 98 Cobra Intake Cam Swap, BBK CAI & Longtube Headers w/ H-Pipe, 4.10s 302 rwhp / 310 ft-lbs
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes

Looking For
1981-82 Mustang Cobra/GT T-Top

Past
1984 Mustang GT T-Top - Bare Chassis
1984 Mustang GT350 - 302 / 5-Speed
1984 Mustang LX - 302 / 5-Speed

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Been a waiting game the last couple weeks. Waiting for parts and for it to warm up enough to actually do some work on the motor. I was finally able to get everything off the new 4V engine. Engine turns over pretty easy. They didn't drain the oil before shipping so I was able to see that there was no metal shavings or coolant in the oil, and the coolant left in the radiator hoses looked clean, so those are both great signs.

I scored a used set of BBK longtube headers and catted H-pipe on eBay for $240. My current H-pipe has 4 cats on it, so this one was a nice little bonus.

I also managed to get a used windage tray from the 05-10 3V, along with a set of new OEM Ford main cap bolts with the windage tray studs, for a total of $30. Windage tray looks unused. Supposedly it was taken-out of a new motor and replaced by Saleen, while doing their engine builds. True or not, don't care, it's in great condition for $4 (the other $26 was for the bolts and shipping).

Next day off I'll be pulling the oil pan to check out the bottom end, and install the tray, as well as the timing cover to inspect the chain guides and tensioners.
JonR2006 likes this.

Present
2001 Mustang GT "Mock 1" - 5-Speed, 03 Mach 1 Swap, 98 Cobra Intake Cam Swap, BBK CAI & Longtube Headers w/ H-Pipe, 4.10s 302 rwhp / 310 ft-lbs
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes

Looking For

Past

Last edited by Ashlander; 09-12-2016 at 04:10 AM.
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
We're both doing engine stuff. Good luck with yours dude. I would love a 4V

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Took off the oil pan and found a few chunks of metal and plastic. I was able to match them up perfectly with one of the driver side chain guides, and all the pieces that were missing from the guide were accounted for. I was planning to replace the guides anyway, so that's not a bid deal.

My issue now is to figure out if the timing on that side jumped any teeth. The timing marks on the primary gear looked like it was in the correct position when the crank gear mark was at the 6 o'clock position, but the copper chain links didn't line up with them. After a little research I found that they won't line up every rotation, so I turned the motor over (took forever) until the copper link lined up with the timing mark on the cam gear. Once that was set, I checked the copper link on the crank gear which was also lined up its timing mark, and in the correct position (unless I'm reading the timing dots wrong). The other teeth on the cam gear (from how it looks, only every other tooth 'bites into' the chain) don't show any signs of wear, so if the chain jumped, it would have had to jump two teeth. The engine turned over as I would normally expect, and the cylinder walls (viewed from the bottom at least) looked real good. Nothing was found in the oil aside from the pieces in the pan. I think I dodged a bullet here, and that the motor was probably pulled before any major damage was caused. I'm starting to think it's been ran a while with the broken guide, judging by the difference in discoloration between the guide and the pieces, I didn't polish or clean them.

Present
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes

Looking For

Past

Last edited by Ashlander; 09-12-2016 at 04:45 AM.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Gotten a lot done since the last post, but been too busy with other things to keep this up to date. The engine is pretty much done and ready to go now. I used the garden sprayer method to prime the oil system after I got everything back together. I just pumped all 6 quarts in that way, just to make sure. Getting ready to put the engine in today. Gotta go back under the car and drop the driveshaft, go get the engine hoist, then time for the heavy stuff. I'm going to drop it in with the headers and trans mounted, then just put the driveshaft back in. Any tricks I should know for getting this thing back in easier?

I installed a full-length windage tray from the 05+ 4.6, that only required minimal modification to fit. Just cut the baffles off the bottom of the oil pan, as well as the scraper off the pickup tube, and it cleared everything just fine. I did take pics of this for anyone that was thinking about trying this, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I did have to remove some of the main bolts because they didn't have the studs to hold they tray. I got a full set of 05+ OEM Ford main bolts and studs, and just replaced the whole lot of them. I also ended up replacing the timing chain guides with new aluminum ones, and the chain tensioners with the iron ratcheting style that sound much more reliable. I had my friend sandblast the valve covers at his work, and I repainted them satin black, along with the Mach-1 upper intake. I made a stupid, and forgot about it being much easier to pull/drop the engine with the intake manifold removed. But it's on now, so I'll have to cover it up real good and find a longer chain or something.

With the new parts assembled and the timing set:

I also found a set of '98 Cobra cams for $200. I just swapped the intakes in straight up. I wanted to advance them a few degrees, but I don't trust those adjustable gears and couldn't find enough info about the Cloyes multi-keyway gears, so decided it was best left for later. Here is the 96-98 Cobra intake cam (left), next to the stock Mach-1 (right) for comparison.

Cams installed with Comp Cams lube:

I had my friend sandblast the new longtubes too, then I resprayed them with a ceramic coating. The H-pipe looked fine, so I didn't bother with it.

The last big hurdle I had to tackle was the wiring harness. I was hoping to modify the Mach-1 harness and make it work by repinning the main connectors, but it and the GT harness are too different. I ended up buying a harness from an 02 manual GT (mine got burnt up in the engine fire). I'm using the EV6 fuel injectors from the Mach-1, so I needed to either get adapters, or swap all the Mach connectors over to the GT harness. I just got the adapters. The ones I got seem pretty good quality, and I don't anticipate any trouble from them. I had to modify the alternator connector, which was easy enough. I just snipped the alternator connector off the Mach-1 and spliced it onto the GT harness (I have wrapped up the wires since I took this).

Last thing I needed to do was lengthen the COP wires. Instead of this, I just cut off the COP harnesses from the Mach-1, then cut out and pulled back the COP wires on the GT harness, and used a couple universal connectors to plug the COP harnesses into the engine harness. This gave it a cleaner look I think. I dont know how well the connectors will hold up, some of the wires have a tendency to back out a little bit if they get moved around too much, so I might need to find some better connectors down the line if I end up having spark issues.

Not gunna lie, pretty nervous about starting it up when its all back in.
JonR2006 likes this.

Present
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes

Looking For

Past
GT Member

Garage
Awesome work man! I just read the whole thing, sorry to hear about the problems but I am glad to see that you stuck with it. I had similar issues with my first mustang but I sold mine lol. Dont be nervous about the start up. You seem competent enough to not make dumb mistakes, and your work looks good enough to fail you. I dont suspect youll have any problems. One thing I will recommend though, Take those red butt connectors out of the alternator harness and solder those wires together with some heat shrink over them. It will be a much better connection.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Well, I guess it's done for now. Stripped out the threads on the back of the crankshaft while putting the GT flywheel on. For some reason the Mach-1 crank has different threads than the GT crank, even though they should be the same casting. Turns out neither sets of bolts would have worked, GT flywheel bolts were too fine threaded, and the Mach flexplate bolts were too short.

Really don't want to have to rip the whole bottom end out now. Talked to my machinist, and he said we might be able to save it by tapping the holes out to the next standard/metric size up. I left the flywheel (for measuring i supposed), and both sets of bolts with him, so he can figure out what size might work. Should be hearing back from him today. It looks like those are blind holes, so they don't go all the way through. Then we can just do it right on the back of the engine, without having to worry about metal shavings getting in.

EDIT: Going to need to tap the crank threads out to 7/16 size. The flywheel bolt holes will also need to be widened just a hair. I'll have to measure the depth of the holes in the crank, and add the thickness of the flywheel, so see what length I should get. I'm 90% sure I can just match the length of the flywheel bolts I have now, but the threads were different between the two cranks, so who knows if the depth is as well...

Present
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes

Looking For

Past

Last edited by Ashlander; 09-13-2016 at 07:37 PM.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Got it installed and started. Dropped it back in with the transmission and headers. It was a very tight fit, more than I was expecting. I had to back it back out a little bit after getting it mostly in, and remove the chain mounting point on the back, because there wasn't enough clearance. I just threw a strap around the header collector and used the chain mounted to the front to adjust the angle. Took some struggle to get it seated on the K-member, but she fit, and everything got hooked as expected.

I had a couple small coolant leaks from the lower radiator hose near the thermostat housing and the heater core supply hose. Radiator hose was an easy fix. The heater core hose looks like a PITA to get out because I cant reach down where the bracket is. Think I'm just going to cut it off, and replace it, but they seem to be hard to find. Neither Ford nor any of the local parts stores carry it, so I'll have to find it online. Had some trouble with a starter click at first, which I thought was a bad ground, but it just turned out to be a wire that accidentally got pulled loose in the footwell by my friend. After splicing that wire back together she fired right up. It got instant oil pressure, which to be honest was my main concern before starting it. I haven't got it to idle yet, but with it still running the GT tune, no CAI installed, no O2 sensors (waiting for extendors), it's not that surprising.

I may need to work out another plan for the tune. I was hoping to get a custom tune from Bama, but it sounds like they wont do it because I'm using the GT computer. Anyone know if it would be safe to flash the 'canned' Mach 1 tune that comes on the X4 to the GT ECU? Or any other ideas would be welcome, just can't afford a dyno-tune atm.

Present
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes

Looking For

Past
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page