Top secret information - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Top secret information

Believe it or not, I just got the V2 tunes for my 2001 Mustang GT. I've been running the race tune for the last few days and I must say it's definitely different from the other race tune I've been running.
My experience with the V2 race tune, the idle is a smooth 600 rpm at a stop sign. Taking off with moderate power the shift from 1st to 2nd is quick and smooth around 2500rpm. But second gear it comes to life and wants to rev out to 4500 rpm. Taking it easy it will shift at 3500 and if you let off the gas a little it will shift at 2000rpm. Needless to say after 2nd gear your already doing 55-60mph if you love hearing the exhaust growl a little. If you don't let off you'll be doing 80 by the time you realize the big smile on your face.
Personally I think I'm going back to the other race tune, V1. With that first gear usually doesn't shift until 3000rpm and it will snap your neck first thing in the morning. Second gear usually doesn't go past 3500-4000rpm but another nice hard shift.
I like the hard shifts because getting slideways never gets old. If I was a drag racer the V2 would definitely give me an advantage. Myself, 0-40 is where I have fun. Don't get me wrong, I won't pass up a stop light race.
I have another V2 tune but I'm not sure if it's street or performance. I'll try it tomorrow or Friday and keep you posted.
Fyi, basically stock, k&n drop in filter, muffler deletes, and I run nothing but 93 octane.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016
Apprentice

Garage
Are you talking about the V2 tune from Bama? I've had it for a while and it's nice, but I've noticed my car seems to dump far too much fuel. To the point that I can smell it occasionally when taking off in first gear. I'm headed to the dyno tomorrow so I can really get my car dialed in. After installing cams, my email tune just isn't cutting it anymore.

'07 Mustang GT Premium
FRPP camshafts, C&L Racer, AED dyno tune, 4.10s, BBK tuned shorties, MAC Pro Chamber, SVE axlebacks, SR springs, Eibach struts and dampers, Subframe connectors, Eibach front and rear sway bars, BMR Adjustable panhard, J&M AUCA & LCA, Camber plates, CMDP, BBK UDPs, Exedy LW flywheel and stage 2 clutch, Hurst short throw shifter, SS brake lines, Window louvers, CDC Shaker scoop, custom hood paint and rear decklid paint. S197 Mach 1 replica?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Did you retune it after the cam change? The V2 tunes have been available for awhile but only for 05 and newer.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016
PONY Member

I've been working with Bama lately because my car would ping real bad on the 87 tune even when using 89 octane fuel. They've sent two revisions and it's better now but still pings under load in overdrive. Also, the trans. shifts way too hard now from 1-2 and it also has been throwing codes for the 2-3 shift solenoid not being happy.

Also, I agree these tunes throw too much fuel at the car. I was consistently getting 20 MPG with my car and on the Bama tune my last tank was 17. Ouch.

I am starting to think that Bama is trying to get too aggressive with these tunes. I wonder about the long term reliability of them. I wish I could afford to have my car put on the dyno and have a shop verify that my settings are safe.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I've been running the V1 race tune for 2 years now. I love it, I feel it gets better gas mileage and is perfectly dialed in for performance rather than what stock has to offer. In stock mode it shifts way to much and always tries to run at 1000-1500 rpm, its annoying. I drive a mustang not a kia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page