Mickey Thompson Street Comp - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Mickey Thompson Street Comp

Does anybody else here run the MT Street Comp tire? How do you like them? I got mine in December (for the rear only) and so I didn't get to drive on them much but now that it's spring I'm driving the car more and I noticed that they have a bad vibration. I finally got to a shop today for rebalancing (AM mounted and balanced them on AMR wheels originally) and while spinning on the machine you could see the tires wobble a bit. One was worse than the other. Looks like it's out of round. I'm not happy about this because I've driven on them now so I know I can't send them back. The ride quality saps the joy out of driving the car.

On top of that, they spin like they're on ice unless it's HOT outside.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I have them. 275/40 and 315/35 on AM 10th Anniversary rims. They drive very well. Quiet, smooth. No vibration I notice (although I have solid motor mounts, solid bearings on the axle side of both Upper and Lower Contral Arms, exhaust is loud again, etc...).

They do like being hot.

Call AM or PM Alex on here and he will set this straight.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Any chance they developed flat spots from sitting?

Usually that can be driven out of them, goes away after a few miles. Sounds like yours may be permanent though. Here's more info on it if you're bored... Tire Tech Information - Flat-Spotted Tires (Due to Parking / Storage)

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Any chance they developed flat spots from sitting?

Usually that can be driven out of them, goes away after a few miles. Sounds like yours may be permanent though. Here's more info on it if you're bored... Tire Tech Information - Flat-Spotted Tires (Due to Parking / Storage)
This is what I suspected at first, but in February I did drive them on a 450 mile round trip and they shook the whole way. And for the past three weeks I've been driving the car daily. So I don't think flat spots are the blame here.

They are so bad that at 20 MPH the car bounces up and down like going over railroad tracks repeatedly. It's terrible.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
I have them. 275/40 and 315/35 on AM 10th Anniversary rims. They drive very well. Quiet, smooth. No vibration I notice (although I have solid motor mounts, solid bearings on the axle side of both Upper and Lower Contral Arms, exhaust is loud again, etc...).

They do like being hot.

Call AM or PM Alex on here and he will set this straight.
I sent Alex a PM. Thanks.

Gone but not forgotten:
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well he said AM doesn't have a warranty in place for tires, but to get them checked at a tire shop and let him know because he's curious what's going on. And my shop says they charge $40 each to road force tires. So that would cost me $80 to find out what I already know. I refuse to spend any more money on these so I guess I'll have to live with them and start saving for replacements. What really sucks is they are 4 months old and worthless because I can't sell them to somebody else with a good conscience. $390 down the drain.

Gone but not forgotten:
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Have you jacked the car up to see yuour ball joints are going out? Wheel bearings? What tire pressure are they at? AM sent me my wheels with 40psi cold (way too much) I had to drop it to like 32 and it drove a lot better after that.

I would go get them re-balanced at a shop. Should only be $25 a wheel or so...

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

When you're ready to replace, go for the Nitto 555's if you can (will be my next set). Otherwise, the Sumitomo HTR-Z's are pretty decent. Had mine for a couple years, my car sits for months at a time mostly just being due to not having time to drive it and have had zero issues with them.

Like your current tires though, not a ton of grip on cold pavement which is typical of any "summer" tire.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Get the 555R...much better traction than the 555. They will last very long for a DR

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well this vibration started immediately once I put the wheels/tires I bought from AM on the car, so there is little chance that it's a bearing or something going out. It's just that I didn't drive the car much in winter and assumed the vibes were from flat spotting or cold weather. Now that I'm driving it daily I realize that's not it. The tires actually have issues. I was running 38 psi and I dropped them down to 31 psi and there's no change...except for they feel a bit softer obviously. This might help the traction issue.

From what I understand, this is one of the dozens of brands that are made by Cooper Tire and Rubber Co. and I've always been a big fan of Cooper, so I'm frustrated.

I noticed that Nitto makes an all-season tire called the Motivo that is available in 315/35 and that's what I'd rather have because I drive the car with ambient temps in the 50s and 60s a lot. So I'll probably save up the $440 and bag up a set of those next time around.

I posted some reviews of other products I bought from AM a few months ago and they didn't post my reviews, probably because I didn't give 5 stars.

Then last week I sent a request for some tweaking to my Bama tunes so I can actually run 87 octane fuel on my 87 octane tune without loud pinging...and a week later I've gotten no response.

Not sure what's going on over at AM lately.......

Gone but not forgotten:
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Bama can be bad about emailing back. PM Alex he will get stuff moving.

Sounds like the wheels were never balanced properly from the beginning. I would move up the chain at AM and have thI rebalanced at their expense. Mine cam to me perfectly. No vibrations or anything.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well I have had them balanced at a tire shop. Did that on Monday morning. So they've been balanced twice now. Second time I paid for and they did it on brand new Hunter equipment. I think the vibes are actually worse now.

When I get time I'm going to jack up the car, put it in drive, and take a video. Need to confirm that it's the tires and not the wheels.

Gone but not forgotten:
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Do you have your old rims and tires? Maybe throw those on which would tell you for sure its the wheels from AM.
JonR2006 likes this.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey'sGT View Post
Do you have your old rims and tires? Maybe throw those on which would tell you for sure its the wheels from AM.
Actually I do still have the OE wheels, and two of them still have the OE size tires on them. I could do that.

Gone but not forgotten:
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Focus on the tread area and watch it dance.

https://youtu.be/F9KuZgVgYMw

https://youtu.be/MIT54HxXKZE

Gone but not forgotten:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page