Bought a Mach 1 with wrong gauge cluster - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Bought a Mach 1 with wrong gauge cluster

I purchased a 2003 Mach 1 Mustang with a 5 speed manual transmission. I noticed that my ABS light stays on and I cannot take traction control off. When i run my Actron Scanner for codes, it does not display any errors. I also noticed that my redline shows at 5800 RPMs. If I remember correctly, Mach 1's with a 5 speed should redline at 6800 RMS. Looking at previous pictures of other mustangs, i noticed that a 2003 Mustang GT gauge cluster looks similar to mine. If my car is equipped with a 2003 GT gauge cluster, am i losing power? Looking at the Mach 1 gauge cluster, i noticed it has a retro look to it where mine looks plain.

Here is a picture of what mine looks to close to:
https://www.google.com/search?q=2003...js6yL6Xw9TM%3A

I ran the diagnostics on the gauge cluster by holding the trip meter while turning on the car and noticed i got "EE 01 FAIL" If i replaced the cluster, would my PATS have to be reprogrammed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Yes, PATS would need to be reprogrammed or disabled. Or maybe it already has been?

Please post a pic of what you actually have.... Does yours look "similar" to the pic in the posted link or EXACTLY like it? The one in the link is for sure a factory GT cluster.

I almost wonder if the previous owner installed a guage overlay? It's pretty rare that an entire cluster needs to be replaced due to fault or malfunction. Again, curious to see with my own two eyes what you actually have.

And no, regardless of what cluster is in there it is not hurting or helping performance. Only thing that's really different between the two clusters is the redline marks and the script of lettering and numbering. If I were in your shoes I would probably be a little curious and maybe bummed but honestly it isn't a big deal.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016
PONY Member

Are you sure it's a mach 1 and not a GT with a mach 1 swap?.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016
PONY Member

Yeah, post some pics of your car so we can see if it's really a Mach 1.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

These guys bring up a good question on whether you might have picked up a 4V swapped GT. Throw up some pics dude.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ashlander Send a message via MSN to Ashlander
I'm with the other guys on making sure it's actually a Mach 1 first. There's no reason a Mach 1 owner would ever replace the Mach cluster with a typical GT one, period, unless there is something suspect going on.

Also, it might not even be a 4V swap. Someone could easily just put a hood decal on it and a chin spoiler and tell unsuspecting buyers that it's a Mach 1. Alot of people don't even know the 03/04 Mach's exist, yet alone what the difference is.

+1 on pics of the car, I would insist on one of the motor as well.

Present
2007 Mustang GT - 5-Speed, Airaid CAI, 4.10s
2001 Mustang GT "Mock 1" - 5-Speed, 03 Mach 1 Swap, 98 Cobra Intake Cam Swap, BBK CAI & Longtube Headers w/ H-Pipe, 4.10s 302 rwhp / 310 ft-lbs
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes

Looking For
1981-82 Mustang Cobra/GT T-Top

Past
1984 Mustang GT T-Top - Bare Chassis
1984 Mustang GT350 - 302 / 5-Speed
1984 Mustang LX - 302 / 5-Speed
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016
Apprentice

Garage
If your Vin has the R code, it was at least originally a Mach.
(1FAFP42R23xxxxxxx)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016
Rookie

I have a 2004 Mach 1 and that is what my Cluster looks like red line is at 5800, but I have a Automatic and that is where the red line is suppose to be on a AUTOMATIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page