Gasoline brands - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Gasoline brands

I admit, with my Mustang I'm more picky about fuels than I am with the F-150 (which makes no sense). I just feel like giving my car the good stuff. Having said that, I wonder how trustworthy this "test" that AAA did really is?

AAA: Not All Gasoline Created Equal | AAA NewsRoom

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I tend to buy gas at busy stations and only use 93. I don't pay attention to additives. My carbon build up is surely much less than the avg engine. My engine sees redline literally everyday and multiple times sometimes...it gets burnt off pretty quickly.

My old engine (170k mileS) was pretty clean when I took it apart so my method seems to be working pretty good. There was some carbon but it wasn't too bad.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah I figure driving slow, being in congested city traffic, etc. is probably what's bad for the valves, etc. A good wringin' out every so often is good for a V8.

I will say, in my area the difference between BP, Shell, Valero, etc. and the so called "cheap" gas stations is more like $.20 cents per gallon, not a few pennies like the article states is average. So there is a relatively significant amount of cash to be saved in a given month by getting gas at the lowest priced places.

It's something to think about I guess.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Where I am, all gas stations are at the same price pretty much. Again, I tend to go to my usual gas stations depending on where I am (near work, near home, etc...).

Seafoam (I know...it's controversial) seemed to help also. I run a can of it in my tank every couple thousand miles.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
Where I am, all gas stations are at the same price pretty much. Again, I tend to go to my usual gas stations depending on where I am (near work, near home, etc...).

Seafoam (I know...it's controversial) seemed to help also. I run a can of it in my tank every couple thousand miles.
+1 on Seafoam. Can't say I've seen a difference in adding it to a tank of gas (although I continue to do that occasionally anyway), but added through the intake via vacuum line on my truck I went from 16/17 avg to 19 mpg overnight.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

Last edited by SoCal2V; 07-08-2016 at 11:25 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016
PONY Member

I tend to buy Shell V-Power, that stuff has so many additives in it that there's no chance of carbon lol. It's a little more expensive and I can't promise that it makes that big of a difference with the additives but dang they sure do market it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Fuel is all pretty equal coming out of the refinery. The additive packages are the differentiator, with Top Tier making the most difference. I am a certified lube technician, and can assure you there is a long term difference in use of Top Tier fuel. In addition, watch out for cheating on octane rating. If your car knocks, stay away from that brand. I will never use QT again. The car knocks, even with computer adjusting the engine, so it must really be below the posted octane....

mbrewer566
Gilbert, AZ
2015 Ingot Silver Ford Mustang GT Coupe, Ford Racing/Borla Touring Cat Backs
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016
Rookie

Just getting what gas is available around here. And I am also a seafoam believer.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016
PONY Member

I like to stick with high volume top tier stations. Costco makes that easy and affordable. Every now and then there is a nearby shell which is cheaper.

2011 F150 XLT 4x4 5.0L
1996 Mustang GT/5spd/convertible - PI Cams, PI Intake, Bassani OR X pipe, Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers, C&L plenum with 75mm TB, K&N FIPK, Hella FF75 foglamps, 2003/04 Cobra A-arms...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page