Early build HP rating - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JonR2006

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Early build HP rating

While cleaning/purging my closets this weekend due to moving to a new house, I found some of my old 1998 Automobile magazines. In one of them, they had an "early look" at the new 1999 Mustang. They noted the sharpened up body lines, improved braking and handling, etc. But the thing that caught my eye was the ratings on the GT. They showed 250 HP and 295 lbs/ft. for the revised car.

I have always seen 260/300 published for these cars stock. Did the early 99s have slightly different tuning? Or did Ford just change the rating without changing anything else?

Oh, and another thing I saw in the article was the "updated Cobra with IRS and a supercharged 4.6L V8". They knew several years ahead of time that they were going to build the Terminator? Wow. I never knew that either. They should have done it much sooner while the LS1 GM cars were on the market.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016
Apprentice

That's a good question. I've only ever seen the 260/300 ratings whenever I've read up on them. Here is even an old brochure that I found for the 99 GT with the same 260/300 specs http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...e_pg_1-22A.pdf

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
250/295 seems more realistic lol...but I have only seen the 260/302 published as the corrected SAE number from Ford.

I don't know why Ford didn't give all GTs the 4V and slap the Eaton on the cobras from the very beginning....Got to love Ford sometimes...

I also don't know why we didn't get 6spds...Ford was lagging behind for sure when these cars were built and engineered. It is a platform that was designed and engineered in 1970s...ridiculous.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Ford may very well have planned on what eventually became the '03/'04 supercharged Cobra back in '99; as for what your Automobile magazine article stated I chalk it up to wishful thinking on Ford's part and just an overall lack of time for proper R&D to meet production deadlines for such a car. The '99 Cobra in the form it was released was still a bit rushed IMO, given the intake manifold recall debacle.

If you want to see an interesting Mustang that never came to see the light of day, Google "V10 Mustang test mule". Motor Trend got a little bit of seat time in the car back in around 2002.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Maybe they were going with 250/295 numbers early on to give to journalists, but when it was going to production they officially went with 260/300. Either way it's not a big deal, just thought it was interesting.

Another little tidbit I found in those magazines was a timeline of Mustang/Camaro sales numbers. I never would have guessed that 1966 was the best selling year for Mustang. Over 600,000 of them sold. That's a mind numbing number. Even the #1 selling vehicle today (F-150) spends most of the year catching up to that number. I can't believe they sold so many Mustangs back in the old days. I also found it very interesting that when the Gen 4 Camaro came out in 1993 with it's new 275 HP LT1 Corvette engine and sleek design, it had some of it's worst sales figures ever, and got trounced by the Fox Body Mustang that had basically been on sale since the late 70s.

Ford definitely hit a home run with the Mustang. It's always been out-gunned in performance, but has somehow been the sales king for most of it's run. That's probably why we were getting a 260 HP GT 11 years after Chevy introduced a 275 HP Z/28. They figured if it ain't broke (in terms of $$$), don't fix it.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016
PONY Member

Sales numbers don't lie. I think Ford has done a great job of marketing the mustang from day one. Not just in commercials, but product placement, think of how many Mustangs have been movie starts over the decades. That really helps to create the imagery Ford wants(after all it was the original pony car). Combine that and the fact that the mustangs are usually a little less expensive and tend to be considered more attractive by the general population. Sales numbers helped drive the aftermarket demand, which in turn helped create even better sales numbers.

I think Chevy backed the Vette more than the Camaro in the same regards. So long (in GM's eyes) as they had the better performer, they thought the sales would take care of themselves (which they obviously did not). Corvette however received all the same treatment that Mustang did being "America's only true sports car". Camaro just never seemed to get quite the same attention really until they re-launched the brand in 2010. Regardless, I think the competition is great for all of us, because the cars just keep getting better and better.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
The 4.6l (2V, 3V, and 4V) has sound going for them that's for sure. Best sounding V8's in my opinion...
SonicBlue02 likes this.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page