Best Sound for the 4.6L??? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Sounds great to me!! My car is loud as well but I'm used to it now...Super 44s and an H Pipe sound so good on my car!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Thanks. Yeah I definitely like it a lot. I like the deeper old school rumble. I'm not into the raspy sound. When spring comes and I can roll the windows back down it'll be so much fun.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
Rookie

Garage
Hello here is my 2 cents worth of info, hope it helps you in your decision if you have not made up your mind yet. Like you I was stock too and wanted my MACH1 to sound really good and be more of a head turner than what it is now. What you have to remember is the exhaust system is made up of 3 sections, the tailpipe (which is the CATBACK EXHAUST PART), mid-pipe and headers. Now you have to take in consideration what your plan is going to be, are you going to change out your whole exhaust system or change one part and leave the rest stock. If you going to change out your whole system your going to have to make sure you make a good combination choice. Meaning some catback exhaust do not sound well with certain mid-pipes. In my research I have found out some catback exhaust and mid-pipe when changed separately sounds good when the others parts of your exhaust is still stock, however when you change out the second part of your exhaust it goes from sounding good to sounding horrible. I was reading how this one guy changed his catback exhaust to Borla Attacks and the sound was amazing with the stock mid and headers. He thought hell, I will change out my mid H-pipe to an off road X-pipe to make it sound even more [email protected]$$. In theory that sound good right, more air flow louder exhaust, but since he had cats on his stock mid-pipe and the X-pipe had a very low restriction and no cats, it made his exhaust note sound really raspy and obnoxious. With that being said if you plan on running no cats on your mid pipe than make sure your catback has a deep tone and not loud and ear piercing sound. But if you do plan on running cats on your mid-pipe then you should have a loud catback. Like my situation, due to my state I have to keep cats on my mid-pipe if I want to pass inspection. So I am getting BBK H-pipe with cats and BBK long tub headers, the reason for H instead of X is I love the muscle car sound H makes versus X which makes more of a Euro race car tune. Right now I have SLP1 (or just SLP) Catback because its the loudest bang for the buck, but if I was running NO CATS on my mid pipe then I would have went with SLP 2. Yes they cost slightly more but they have deeper tone and no cats on my mid pipe would not make me have a loud raspy tone if I ran SLP 2. Good luck on your decision and make sure you know what you really want before you start throwing money at it and if you have deep pockets I guess it really doesn't matter. One other note as much as I know SLP special chambers you can change out and go from SLP to SLP 2 and vice versa for about 200.00. Once again good luck and let us know your decision.

Ford Mustang 2003 Mach1 Torch Red (D3)
8in black antenna / Exceedy Stage 2 Clutch 450
Ford Racing Billett FlyWheel / JLT CAI/JLT OIL CC/MGW SS
17/275-315 Nitto 555 / Offset Semi-Black Gloss Saleen Rims
Pioneer Touch Screen / J&L Amp /2 J&L 10" Subwoofers in a Box/ SLP Catback Exhaust/ BAMA Tuner

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Best Sound for the 4.6L???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlue02 View Post
Yes, I think the offroad pipe is a good mod for the money on our cars. If you think about it, I am sure that (4) cats are much more restrictive than the factory catback system.

As far as which to choose, that mostly depends on which sound you prefer. The H-pipe delivers more a low rumble (like muscle cars) while the X-pipe is a little more raspy (like nascar), however because of how the exhaust gases cross each other, the X-pipe will flow a little better usually resulting in slightly better performance.

With the basic bolt on's, do not expect this to turn you into a 300rwhp monster or anything, but your butt dyno will feel the car pulling harder at the higher RPM range.

Expect a louder exhaust, whether factory or aftermarket catback.

Since you have a tuner, just get Bama to update your tune and you will not need the MIL eliminators to shut of the CEL.

If your area requires smog testing, keep the factory mid-pipe to swap in every year for the test (as you will not pass with the O/R)

Installation is not bad at all really, it should take you between 45-90 minutes on jack stands with the right tools.
Make sure you have multiple swivel sockets and extensions, without them you will not be a happy person. I got the Pypes H-pipe from AM. Fit great, no problems, I like that it is a 4 piece design, helped since we where working with the car on stands instead of on a lift.

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

I had the precats removed from the stock h-pipe and I replaced the stock afts with "high flows." The end result was a beefier sound and maybe it pulled a little harder. But it could've been placebo. I went the opposite way on another car. I added one cat per side to an o/r X. The end result with that one was a quieter exhaust. No power loss was noticed. I think you have to be making quite a bit of power to where the stock midpipe becomes a restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page