Best Sound for the 4.6L??? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Best Sound for the 4.6L???

I just recently got myself a 2001 Mustang GT. It has no aftermarket exhaust, etc. I have always been amazed with how well these Mustangs sound at car shows. They always seem to have the best sound. So, what is the best setup that is somewhat budget friendly? I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, but I want something that will sound better than stock. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016
GT Member

Garage
Here's mine.
Long tube, OR H pipe, flowmaster super 40's , dumped.

Mods = None. (well maybe just a few)
DB-Performance Tune: 634rwhp @ 6000rpm , 609rwtq @ 4000rpm, (500rwtq @ 2500rpm)

Last edited by willyg1997; 09-12-2016 at 01:18 PM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Garage
flowmaster original 40s with a custom bent exhaust with no cats and it sound awesome

1997 Mustang Gt auto - White Rose - Custom 2in exhaust with headers and flowmasters and an offroad stock 2.25 in h pipe and custom bent 2.25 catback 3.08 rear end MM caster camber plates installed Kyb gr2s installed Ford racing c springs with polys isos all around SR performance upper and lower poly control arms pi head swap gt500 followers sr cold air intake hand ported stock plenum raxiom smoked halo headlights

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016
GT Member

Garage
Im a real fan of the chambered magnaflow mufflers. Its got a smoother sound than the flowmasters, but it is quieter.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I'm a flowmaster groupy...love my setup. BBK shorties, off roah H, Super 44s, dumped at the rear axle.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
I'm a flowmaster groupy...love my setup. BBK shorties, off roah H, Super 44s, dumped at the rear axle.

Jon, if you like those sup 44, you should check out the sup 40, 1" thicker can. Give a nice old school sound.

Mods = None. (well maybe just a few)
DB-Performance Tune: 634rwhp @ 6000rpm , 609rwtq @ 4000rpm, (500rwtq @ 2500rpm)

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016
PONY Member

how loud do you want to go? Just adding an off road H-pipe to the stock manifold/catback, puts off a really nice sound and is going to be the cheapest option way you can go (if you can do it in your area). Idle is a little louder, it sounds very healthy when opened up, cruises perfect in 5th for highway driving with no drone.
Obviously all the guys with catbacks and(or) headers are going to be louder. But I was very pleased when I set mine up that way.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97stangt View Post
flowmaster original 40s with a custom bent exhaust with no cats and it sound awesome
Got any sound clips of it by chance?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlue02 View Post
how loud do you want to go? Just adding an off road H-pipe to the stock manifold/catback, puts off a really nice sound and is going to be the cheapest option way you can go (if you can do it in your area). Idle is a little louder, it sounds very healthy when opened up, cruises perfect in 5th for highway driving with no drone.
Obviously all the guys with catbacks and(or) headers are going to be louder. But I was very pleased when I set mine up that way.
I don't want to go obnoxiously loud. I would like to be able to listen to the radio with comfort or have a nice conversation without having to yell, lol. But, I want people to say "Yup, that's the Mustang down there." I have heard great things about the Mac O/R H-pipe Prochambers. I might go with those and down the line add some Borlas or Flows. I am only in highschool and worked my butt off for my first stang. I kind of don't have a fat wallet right now to spend on mods.
SoCal2V and mr cribb like this.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1997 View Post
Here's mine.
Long tube, OR H pipe, flowmaster super 40's , dumped.

https://youtu.be/g8-z2DcMnt8
Everyone seems to love the Flows on these cars. I might have to go to a car show before I order and ask around. There is always a handful of New edges.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangDude67 View Post
I don't want to go obnoxiously loud. I would like to be able to listen to the radio with comfort or have a nice conversation without having to yell, lol. But, I want people to say "Yup, that's the Mustang down there." I have heard great things about the Mac O/R H-pipe Prochambers. I might go with those and down the line add some Borlas or Flows. I am only in highschool and worked my butt off for my first stang. I kind of don't have a fat wallet right now to spend on mods.
Mac Prochamber + SLP Loudmouth2 (or really any straight thru muffler) is a winner. H pipe and Flowmasters, they do sound good in a way that nobody can argue with but as you can see by the relatively small sample here it will sound like everybody else's Mustang.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Mac Prochamber + SLP Loudmouth2 (or really any straight thru muffler) is a winner. H pipe and Flowmasters, they do sound good in a way that nobody can argue with but as you can see by the relatively small sample here it will sound like everybody else's Mustang.
Exactly, and I don't want to be like every other mustang on the street... There are so many of them the way it is, haha. I heard that loud mouths are really really loud.

Last edited by StangDude67; 01-19-2017 at 03:05 AM.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Loudmouth 1 is, it is just a resonator technically and has no sound deadening material in it. Honestly though it depends on what is in front of it. I have had both 1 and 2, 1's sounded great with the stock midpipe but were stupid loud with an off road X pipe so I got the 2's to quiet things down a little. And even then they were still plenty loud. With the Prochamber pipe it actually quieted things down a little more vs the X pipe which I hadn't expected (but after 6 or 7 years of the current setup it was welcomed), I bought the Prochamber mainly for the change in tone. I was also going to swap out mufflers but really don't think I need to anymore.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
If I were to do it all over again...I would have bought the Pypes Pype-Bomb cat back with an off road X pipe....I'm tired of spending money on a car that keeps breaking so I'm leaving it as is...

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangDude67 View Post
Got any sound clips of it by chance?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...XRMOWFPbU1NMGc this was after my k&n filter without my exhaust tips on

1997 Mustang Gt auto - White Rose - Custom 2in exhaust with headers and flowmasters and an offroad stock 2.25 in h pipe and custom bent 2.25 catback 3.08 rear end MM caster camber plates installed Kyb gr2s installed Ford racing c springs with polys isos all around SR performance upper and lower poly control arms pi head swap gt500 followers sr cold air intake hand ported stock plenum raxiom smoked halo headlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page