Top Speed? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Top Speed?

So I have read several posts on this question and just wanted to post my feedback as of this afternoon ?. On my Sunday afternoon cruise I found myself on a nice little country stretch and made a few pulls. Stock 3:27 gear, with a few bolt ons and bama tune, she ran 105 in 3rd (just over 6k), i let off in 4th right about 120ish (around 4800-4900rpm). She was still pulling hard, but i lost my nerve about then?. Given that, I think 135-140 is very realistic out of our cars.
Feedback is welcome, I have jus always wondered what they will top out at.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016
Sean Reilly

By ALL MEANS Your car could achieve (Because the BAMA tune most likely has the Top Speed Governor turned off!)

With 3.27:1 Rear Gears, I would bet 155 is not out of reach!.......

PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS ON ANY PUBLIC ROADWAY,!

Sean.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Wanna say Motor Trend or C&D had these cars topped out at like 143. I never had the balls to take mine past (an indicated) 140 mph, which I've done like twice over the years. It's a pretty slow climb once you get past 130 or so but I think if you have enough room you could bury the speedo.

What I would be cautious of are having suspension and tires in tip top shape - especially tires, you lose a tire at 100+ mph well that's gonna be your ass. Bottoming out on a dip at 110 mph because your shocks/struts suck will get your attention pretty damn quick (had that happen before). Aerodynamics comes into play as well, and I think you notice the lack of functional aero on these cars once you hit about 120. At those sort of speeds there really isn't any braking or steering input you can give to correct a bad situation if something gets a little squirrelly on you.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016
GT Member

Garage
I had 3.73's in my 98 and got it up to 145 but I was in 5th gear and rolling out. I shut it down because I thought that was plenty fast enough.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016
PONY Member

Like you guys, I've never gone past 120 or so. I have seen tires shred, driveshafts grenade, etc. on the dyno before. And the thought crosses your mind out on the road that if that happens while actually moving at 120 MPH, it's game over. Do not insert additional tokens. GAME OVER.

So, occasionally I've tempted 120ish but it's rare and I generally don't like to do it...especially on these older cars that typically have old driveline parts with 100K or more miles on them.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I only care how fast I go at the end of the 1/4 mile...109 is fastest I've gone at the track.

I think I've hit 120-125 but let off, car didn't feel stable enough for me at that speed. I won't do that again. I'll hit 100 on the street occasional but I normally stop mid way through 4th.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

At the 120 mark the tire's and suspension felt really good, but I completely agree with what you are saying. I remember my old t-bird felt very challenged over about 105 (despite all the tire/suspension work).

On average I usually only get her up to about 90-105 before I back down. I have pulled up to 110 a few times and was honestly surprised I pushed that far yesterday(but it was just all the right conditions and felt right). 140 had to be plenty wicked (was your top up/down)? it's just amazing how fast everything fly's by you at that speed. I don't think I will ever attempt to top her out (even at a track).

I have lost control in a car before at insanely fast speeds (due to driver stupidity, showing off). It was by an act of GOD alone that I did not kill myself (182-186mph - can't remember exactly), in my C5 on a country highway sometime in the wee hours of the morning some 10 years ago. Blasted up to speed and as my friend is just telling my how insane and fast this is, I decided to start slaloming to impress him. I wound up catching a patch of gravel (you can see where this goes). Nothing you can do at that speed, except pray and hold on for dear life. Like I said I was unbelievably blessed, and wound up DRIVING the car away without a bruise on me or my passenger and besides all the gravel that painted the side of the car and wheels and grass/mud etc. the car was mechanically as if it never happened.

That one pretty much killed my nerve and got me out of cars for awhile (up until I bought the mustang).
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I haven't had mine past 100 but ive had it at 90 since I did the c springs and the rear arms and it feels a lot more stable then what it was I'm still not to confident in its ability's tho

1997 Mustang Gt auto - White Rose - Custom 2in exhaust with headers and flowmasters and an offroad stock 2.25 in h pipe and custom bent 2.25 catback 3.08 rear end MM caster camber plates installed Kyb gr2s installed Ford racing c springs with polys isos all around SR performance upper and lower poly control arms pi head swap gt500 followers sr cold air intake hand ported stock plenum raxiom smoked halo headlights
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016
GT Member

Garage
Topped out 4th at 132 on the track. Street, our limit is third gear somewhere around 90/100, cant remember mph. I just drive the gears/rpm and whatever feels right. Over 100 mph on the street is too fast for me, roads are way too unpredictable, let alone the deer. Funny thing is, I never had my car hit 5th gear after exhausting 4th, not sure how fast top end would even be.

Mods = None. (well maybe just a few)
DB-Performance Tune: 634rwhp @ 6000rpm , 609rwtq @ 4000rpm, (500rwtq @ 2500rpm)

SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1997 View Post
Topped out 4th at 132 on the track. Street, our limit is third gear somewhere around 90/100, cant remember mph. I just drive the gears/rpm and whatever feels right. Over 100 mph on the street is too fast for me, roads are way too unpredictable, let alone the deer. Funny thing is, I never had my car hit 5th gear after exhausting 4th, not sure how fast top end would even be.
I nominate you and your car for one of those "Texas mile" events where they give you an open runway to just let 'er rip.

Those are really the sort of places for this. Nice long perfectly flat and perfectly maintained stretch of concrete pavement. No potholes, no obstacles, no bullsh!t, just get after it and see where aerodynamics butts heads with horsepower.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Interesting fact...a bolt-on 2V, full weight car, manual, will top out higher with 4.10s than with 3.27s since with 4.10s you can run 5th out farther than 4th gear with 3.27s. Kudos to Cliffy Ks website. 5th gear with 3.27s can't be topped out due to HP-weight-aerodynamics etc...5th gear can be rode out with 4.10s due to being in the meat of the powerband.

Another reason why 4.10s are the shiz.
SoCal2V likes this.

GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
I nominate you and your car for one of those "Texas mile" events where they give you an open runway to just let 'er rip.

Those are really the sort of places for this. Nice long perfectly flat and perfectly maintained stretch of concrete pavement. No potholes, no obstacles, no bullsh!t, just get after it and see where aerodynamics butts heads with horsepower.

I'll tell ya what, "WE" will nominate my car, and you as the driver. Not sure how long the vert top would last tho. Sure would be an experience.....

It would be kinda neat to hit a loooong smoooooth stretch, so you could have the time to watch the speedo, tack, feel the suspension, and listen to the engine. Rather then the split second reaction on the shift light. The only thing I can remember at the end of the 1/4 is that dam shift light, and pray my brakes don't give out.

I think the suspension handled the 130+ on the track. But, I was too focused looking at the "STOP" barricade. They sure don't give you a whole lot of room to stop.

GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
Interesting fact...a bolt-on 2V, full weight car, manual, will top out higher with 4.10s than with 3.27s since with 4.10s you can run 5th out farther than 4th gear with 3.27s. Kudos to Cliffy Ks website. 5th gear with 3.27s can't be topped out due to HP-weight-aerodynamics etc...5th gear can be rode out with 4.10s due to being in the meat of the powerband.

Another reason why 4.10s are the shiz.

Before they nail me in the box I will have 4:10 and 28" wrinkles.

BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Before they nail me in the box I will have 4:10 and 28" wrinkles.
By wrinkles you mean QTPs you need to get you some dude. They won't last long on the street but they hook.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
I'll tell ya what, "WE" will nominate my car, and you as the driver. Not sure how long the vert top would last tho. Sure would be an experience.....

It would be kinda neat to hit a loooong smoooooth stretch, so you could have the time to watch the speedo, tack, feel the suspension, and listen to the engine. Rather then the split second reaction on the shift light. The only thing I can remember at the end of the 1/4 is that dam shift light, and pray my brakes don't give out.

I think the suspension handled the 130+ on the track. But, I was too focused looking at the "STOP" barricade. They sure don't give you a whole lot of room to stop.

Sounds good! I'll be sure to have some commercial grade Depends on, there's a good chance I'll crap myself at about the 160 mark, lol.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page