What's needed to properly lower a 1999-2004 mustang? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007 Thread Starter

What's needed to properly lower a 1999-2004 mustang?

What should be bought 1st? At what point are CC plates manditory? My car sits higher in the front than the back...Do off the shelf lowering spring address this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to lxarlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris99GT View Post
What should be bought 1st? At what point are CC plates manditory? My car sits higher in the front than the back...Do off the shelf lowering spring address this?
yes they do. extra stuff depends on how much you want to lower your car.

Why drive a Prius when you can have a Fiesta!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007
Rookie

All you need is lowering springs if you buy springs that lower your car more than 1 1/2'' you will need CC plates.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris99GT View Post
I'd recommend you look at what the car needs to do for you before you decide how much to lower it.

Maintaining that OE ride is easiest done with the Ford Racing spring sets out there, with about 3/4" drop the most before you start sacrificing ride quality.

If ride quality is less important than handling, consider buying your springs from a company that sells the whole ball of wax. Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension , Steeda Autosports | Everything Mustang Performance , or many other sources offer everything you need to transform that car to a real road track handling machine.

If you want the car to drop more than the 1.5 inches mentioned by lxarlo, it does indeed get more complicated. Steeda suggests adding their torque steer kit at that point, and I agree with them. CC plates are a good idea because they can help correct the changed geometry created by the drop in ride height, and allow adjustments on the track, which can greatly aid handling in those conditions (though you want to keep those adjustments more neutral for the street).

There ARE other alternatives for lowering your car. The most expensive is Air Ride, which will allow you to drop it at shows down to the ground - raise it high for street driving over speed bums and such - and lower it to match the needs of a road course. The other, less expensive (though considerably more expensive than a simple spring swap) alternative is coil-overs, which replace both your existing shocks and struts and springs. These come 2 ways, with single and double adjustable versions (the double adjustables cost considerably more).

A lot depends on where you are going with your plans for the car.

For a simple street car daily driver, my advice would be to drop it 3/4" and compromise...

But for that mean look, I know that more is more...

Its the choice you ahve to make. I went toward the edge of the road course route with my 2002 and a bunch of Steeda parts. She rides a bit rough, but handles like she's on rails compared to where the car started.

stan

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008
Apprentice
4.6L Member

What he said..........

John

'03 Mustang GT, Maximum Motorsports Max Grip Box, Wilwood SL6 front/DL4 rear Big Brake Kit, Corbeau F1X Racing Seats, MGW Short Shifter, MAC Long Tube Headers/Prochamber mid pipes/Flowmaster 40, FRPP 4.10 gears, TrickFlow Diff Cover/ 75mm TB/Plenum, Moser 31 spline Axles, UDP
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Cool

Agree with stan, recommend looking 'whole' systems vs buying piece meal or ebay a la carte.
Also, do you have any mustangs in your local area you can ride with to test? Experience always helped me with those decisions.

03 ROUSH Cobra 1 of 6 *SOLD*
98 ROUSH Stage 2 GT *SOLD*

./_ ___ ___ __\.
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_FORD_o_/|
|__|..........|__|
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Isolated

Regardless which spring option is chosen, replace those worn out rubber isolators! A 9 year old isolator is junk, period. And DO NOT go without the upper isolator just to get an additional 1/8 inch drop - the difference in noise and vibration transmitted to the body is real.

stan

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008

I went with H&R super sport springs which slammed the car and I had it aligned and seems to be wearing tires fine with out any kind of CC plates. You can really feel the big bumps in the road though hahah..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page