Tubular K-members? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I was hoping to do it for engine bay clearance, as I have long tubes and they are a pain to work around. And the fact that I'd be losing 20lbs or so on top of my Teksid block swap was just a bonus.

I've got some more researching to do about solid mounts tearing up the chassis. It sounds like the AJE will be plug and play as long as I don't mind solid engine mounts. And the UPR "should" be plug and play, but it likely won't be due to fitment issues.

JonR2006 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Your thread got me to thinking about the k-member as a next mod for my '95. It was slow at work today so I did a lot of k-member googling and there are tons of threads out there about tubular k-members pros and cons and such. I was thinking about this mod primarily for weight savings and for some of them the price isn't bad. But I think I'm going to pass on this one. It seems like the stock ones weighs around 45 lbs and the tubulars are weight between 20ish-30ish pounds so the weight difference isn't all that much if one was to use stock a-arms and springs. It's when you use a tubular k, tubular arms, new spindles and coilovers is when the big weight is reduced. Also it seems like there are a lot of "hidden cost" thrown in there. Some k members might move the wheelbase this way or that way, so you need to do this or that to correct it and other issues that seemed more of a hassle and more expensive than it's worth for a non track car. I dunno something over my head about the geometry with the stock a-arms on tubular k members and or bumpsteer. It didn't sound as plug and play as I was hoping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stock K-member weighs 65lbs. I still have mine and I put it on the scale to verify.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04Gt View Post
I was hoping to do it for engine bay clearance, as I have long tubes and they are a pain to work around. And the fact that I'd be losing 20lbs or so on top of my Teksid block swap was just a bonus.

I've got some more researching to do about solid mounts tearing up the chassis. It sounds like the AJE will be plug and play as long as I don't mind solid engine mounts. And the UPR "should" be plug and play, but it likely won't be due to fitment issues.

Consider the QA1 before UPR. Ive heard good things about that k-member. Although, I always thought qa1 and upr were the same, people have better luck getting the qa1 to fit correctly.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.

BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I will be going with the PA Racing K member when bonus and tax return comes in. I'll keep my stock a arms and spring setup...total will be $570 for a Chromoly unit. I'll do a arms and coilovers later...I will also be doing torque box reinforcements at the same time.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Question for whoever can answer it...

Do aftermarket K members tend to be more or less rigid than stock? This is something thats ony list but definitely a ways out, lots of other stuff to do first. I understand that for track use they are great, but if chassis rigidity were compromised then that really would make me think twice. Streets are not nice and smooth as tracks (SoCal freeways can be downright horrible) so handling is a concern. Of greater concern is how one of these might hold up in a collision.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I think the QA1 is out for me. It pushes your front end forward 2" and it sounds like it causes interference with the fenders on lowered cars. All the reviews also say it's a pain to get the stock a-arms to fit.

The PA Racing one looks promising though
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Question for whoever can answer it...

Do aftermarket K members tend to be more or less rigid than stock? This is something thats ony list but definitely a ways out, lots of other stuff to do first. I understand that for track use they are great, but if chassis rigidity were compromised then that really would make me think twice. Streets are not nice and smooth as tracks (SoCal freeways can be downright horrible) so handling is a concern. Of greater concern is how one of these might hold up in a collision.
Im pretty sure the tubular k-members are more rigid than stock. With the exception of the convertible x brace under there. I understand that once you get rid of the x brace you notice more vibration in the cowl area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04Gt View Post
I think the QA1 is out for me. It pushes your front end forward 2" and it sounds like it causes interference with the fenders on lowered cars. All the reviews also say it's a pain to get the stock a-arms to fit.

The PA Racing one looks promising though
Bummer. I didnt know QA1 moved wheel base. Sorry about that.

1998 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page