Notching pistons, how far can you go? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gt350HR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Notching pistons, how far can you go?

So my Teksid 2v is in the final stages of machining. The shop mocked up the 2v heads on the Mark VIII short block today, to check PTV clearance. With my Comp 270s, the valves just barely kissed the piston. The guy told me I needed .080" notched into the piston. But the problem is, the pistol crown thickness is only .25", so it'd leave me with .17". He is uncomfortable with how little material would be left, but of course it's up to me in the end. The pistons are stock Mark VIII hyper pistons.

After researching all day, I've read many things. .15" is minimum, it'd be fine with no boost, or you shouldn't notch hyper pistons at all. What say you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017
PONY Member

Hypers need .200 material thickness because they are cast. You need to be careful when cutting to make sure the valve relief to back side of the ring groove is thick enough.

Beechkid likes this.

I may not be a GT350 Member but I am a GT 350 owner , stay thirsty my friends
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017
GT Member

Garage
What valves are you using?

You can get a set of modified valves from CMS that has the margin cut down and that clears up A LOT of ptv room.

As far as reliefs go, my machinist buddy typically goes .050" on the reliefs in mark 8 pistons.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'm using stock valves. I ended up getting a set of -5.2cc diamond pistons with valve reliefs. A little more dish than the MK8s, but should be alright I think. A tiny bit less compression will let me run more timing in the tune I'd think.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017
PONY Member

Are the Mark VIII pistons flat top?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04Gt View Post
I'm using stock valves. I ended up getting a set of -5.2cc diamond pistons with valve reliefs. A little more dish than the MK8s, but should be alright I think. A tiny bit less compression will let me run more timing in the tune I'd think.
Yeah you should be ok. Dont forget though, more timing doesnt mean more power. There is a point where timing makes mbt and you could advance more without problems but it serves no purpose. A lot of people think that compression requires less timing due to detonation but thats only part of it. The compression makes the engine more efficient and it requires less timing to make mbt. Mine just made 368 rwhp with 25 degrees of total timing. Mind you, I didnt get to lean on it any more and try more timing because things went boom. However, I dont know how much more it would have made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40th GT View Post
Are the Mark VIII pistons flat top?
Mark 8's are almost flat top. They have 3cc of volume.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I have a set of those Valves that are shaved sitting in my basement. I didn't use them because the machine shop didn't like them; they were worried about that warping due to leff material around the contact area and them not being stainless steel. Take this for what it's worth.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Any idea what kind of power I'll be putting down with those pistons? I also have a trick flow track heat intake, Comp 270 cams, slightly ported/polished heads, 28lb injectors, BBK long tubes, full off-road exhaust. I'll be tuned for 93. I'm shooting for 325rwhp at least.

Any other ways to squeeze a little more compression out of it? My heads are being shaved just a few thousandths to smooth them up, but not enough to change compression. Don't want to deck them or the block since it'll mess with the front cover.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017
PONY Member

325wheel sounds like a good goal. Cams with a lower lobe separation angle can bump up the dynamic compression at lower RPM. You'll need a different rotating assembly or heads to change static compression.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

325rw sounds like a lot, but I'm a pessimist. With slightly worked PI heads and those cams, along with that intake I'm thinking maybe 310. Don't worry about dyno numbers though, only thing that matters is how it actually runs. I've seen lots of guys here over the years get a little heartbroken over their dyno numbers but ended up with a car that runs like it made 50 more hp than the dyno measured. With even minimal supporting mods - gears, chassis/suspension and tires, your car should have no problem getting into the upper half of 12's when you get that stuff under the hood done.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page