Help figuring out the new toy - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 90lxwhite

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Help figuring out the new toy

Oorah Devil Nuts! Any Marines out here?

I bought a 5 Speed 2000 Mustang GT 4.6L recently. I must admit I am not very knowledgeable with cars. In the Corps I was an aircraft mech so I like getting my hands dirty and I want to use this car to learn.

From a first glance this car is modified. It has:

Steeda Body Kit
Steeda Suspension
Steeda Brake Kit
Steeda Exhaust
Cold Air Intake
And after doing some math based on some reading I have been doing it has a 3.55 differential ratio.

I would like to find out if there are other mods on this car that I may not easily catch. For instance, How do I know if the ECU was updated or programmed? Under the hood it all looks stock except the air intake, but I find it weird that the previous owner spent so much money on the above modifications and did not try to boost the HP.

Any pointers?
Semer Fi!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome to the site and thank you for your service! Not a Marine myself but I was raised by one!

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
Welcome to the site and thank you for your service! Not a Marine myself but I was raised by one!
Thank you! I'm sure it was interesting having a Marine as a parent. I try not to be all "Drill Instructor" with my kids, but sometimes it just comes out of me naturally hahahaha

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Doublecheck your gear ratio. Stock gearing was 3.27, it's of course not impossible but I find it unlikely that anybody would go to the trouble and expense of installing gears that are only 0.28 shorter than stock. The overwhelming majority of people don't bother with anything numerically less than 3.73's.

As far as tune, that's hard to know for sure. If you feel like paying a Ford dealer to plug in and look at it then that's one possible way. Since the car has so much Steeda stuff though I am willing to bet that if it is tuned, the previous owner probably purchased a device and custom tune from Steeda as well. I am not positive at all, but just as a guess I'm thinking they may have a way of looking up the car in their records via VIN and may be able to tell you if they've written a tune for that car.

Another good indication is if it runs crappy (detonates under load) on 87 gas but run great and no detonation with 91/93 gas. Although of course the p/o could have just installed a "gas saver" tune for 87 as well, but most people are cool enough not to do that.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Doublecheck your gear ratio. Stock gearing was 3.27, it's of course not impossible but I find it unlikely that anybody would go to the trouble and expense of installing gears that are only 0.28 shorter than stock. The overwhelming majority of people don't bother with anything numerically less than 3.73's.

As far as tune, that's hard to know for sure. If you feel like paying a Ford dealer to plug in and look at it then that's one possible way. Since the car has so much Steeda stuff though I am willing to bet that if it is tuned, the previous owner probably purchased a device and custom tune from Steeda as well. I am not positive at all, but just as a guess I'm thinking they may have a way of looking up the car in their records via VIN and may be able to tell you if they've written a tune for that car.

Another good indication is if it runs crappy (detonates under load) on 87 gas but run great and no detonation with 91/93 gas. Although of course the p/o could have just installed a "gas saver" tune for 87 as well, but most people are cool enough not to do that.
Thanks a lot for your reply! I did contact Steeda and they sent me a page long list of mods that were done to my car. The guy spent over $13K on it! They did install a 3.55 so my math was right. And it looks like the only HP enhancements are a K&N Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing Throttle Body and the Exhaust package.

I did find an old GTech Pro SS Performance Meter in the trunk. Seems to come on fine when I plug it in. How does this work?? Where does the info come from?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

No idea on the G-Tech device.... That's one of those things that you plug it in and it tells you 0-60, quarter mile times, stuff like that right?

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplBreezeman View Post
Quote:

Thanks a lot for your reply! I did contact Steeda and they sent me a page long list of mods that were done to my car. The guy spent over $13K on it! They did install a 3.55 so my math was right. And it looks like the only HP enhancements are a K&N Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing Throttle Body and the Exhaust package.

I did find an old GTech Pro SS Performance Meter in the trunk. Seems to come on fine when I plug it in. How does this work?? Where does the info come from?
Ex squid here. I believe the gtech pro is just an accelerometer. I think it gets its data from the starting and stoping motion it "feels," but I've been wrong at least three times.
40th GT likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
No idea on the G-Tech device.... That's one of those things that you plug it in and it tells you 0-60, quarter mile times, stuff like that right?
Google is a wonderful thing. It is a measuring device, I believe it uses the electric system through the cigarette lighter to measure RPM. With that it gives you a lot of other info. It also has shift lights and measures 0-60, 1/4 mile times and HP. Pretty cool toy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page