SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
2002 Mustang GT Brake Issue?

2002 Mustang GT Brake Issue?

I purchased the car yesterday and it has 12,950 miles... Yes you read that right and those are actual miles...

Anyway I noticed a clutch or brake smell last night and today. I felt the wheels and the right passenger wheel felt hotter than the others. Figured brake hang. So I lifted the car up and turned both front wheels to compare hot wheel to cooler wheel. Both wheels spin and sound the same as videoed. Is the sound normal? I don't know if I recall that metal grinding sound being normal. Been a long time since I have needed to do such a test. Wheel seems to spin freely and just the sound and wheel being hot with them smell has me questioning...

Can't figure out how to convert my iPhone video into an acceptable format to attach... Video link is below let me know if this doesn't work as I just created the account for this thread...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150011.../shares/8H22W3

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Going purely by the evidence that one wheel is warmer to the touch than the other definitely suggests a sticking caliper. I would start by removing the affected wheel and inspect the brake pads. Even wear between inboard and outboard is what you're looking for here.

If uneven wear (but pads are still good), I would remove, inspect, clean and regrease the caliper pins. Put it back together and see how things go. If you need to or want to replace pads then go for it. On that note, I would probably visit all 4 corners and clean/lube the pins.

You have a car that has spent most of its life sitting. I'm sure you've been here long enough to notice the abundance of sticking/hanging caliper threads every spring when the winter crowd brings their cars out of hibernation, it's a fairly common issue with cars that have been subjected to long term storage or infrequent driving.

The problem could also be the caliper itself, but since the above is cheaper and easier then that's where I suggest you start.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Going purely by the evidence that one wheel is warmer to the touch than the other definitely suggests a sticking caliper. I would start by removing the affected wheel and inspect the brake pads. Even wear between inboard and outboard is what you're looking for here.

If uneven wear (but pads are still good), I would remove, inspect, clean and regrease the caliper pins. Put it back together and see how things go. If you need to or want to replace pads then go for it. On that note, I would probably visit all 4 corners and clean/lube the pins.

You have a car that has spent most of its life sitting. I'm sure you've been here long enough to notice the abundance of sticking/hanging caliper threads every spring when the winter crowd brings their cars out of hibernation, it's a fairly common issue with cars that have been subjected to long term storage or infrequent driving.

The problem could also be the caliper itself, but since the above is cheaper and easier then that's where I suggest you start.
Yeah with me being in NC and DD my Mustangs I haven't paid to much attention to people bringing them out of storage and having issues. I am aware buying a car that has sat it's whole life would possibly have some issues, but mainly asking for thoughts on the video to see if the issue is brake hang or something else. Like you by smell and heat of one wheel I jump to brake hang which is why I jacked the car up and started to do inspection, but found free spinning wheel just with slight noise on both sides and both spinning the same it makes me second guess that...

About to go out and do a hard stop or two to see if that frees some stuff up.

I know they PO's painted the calipers and brackets at least 3 times different colors for different shows I guess... So maybe something wasn't installed back right or something or maybe just need to be set. That or next guess was the piston needs to be reset.

No idea. Been a while since I was in a SN-95(2).

Did you have a chance to listen to video clip to see if you think looks and sounds normal?

Thanks!

(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017
PONY Member

If the caliper checks out okay the next thing I'd check is wheel bearing.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yeah I am hoping not that as both sound the same...

I went for a drive just now to see if same smell and heat on the wheel came back and it did. Just the passenger front seems to have the smell and wheel feeling hot. So I guess brake caliper issues... Hopefully this is an adjustment and not a replacement as they are painted.... At least the calipers are painted silver so the parts store silver won't be to far off.... The bottom bracket is black, but that should be reusable even if caliper needs replacement. Hoping just piston reset, clips, or adjustment... Will know in the morning as I am taking to my friends shop.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017
PONY Member

Replied to your other post. Ran into a similar issue on my wifes old Altima, thought the caliper was shot, but after i got it apart found that the pad had rusted to the clip and was stuck against the rotor. Caliper pressed in fine. Replaced pads and good as new. Hope its something simple like that.
MustangLife likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlue02 View Post
Replied to your other post. Ran into a similar issue on my wifes old Altima, thought the caliper was shot, but after i got it apart found that the pad had rusted to the clip and was stuck against the rotor. Caliper pressed in fine. Replaced pads and good as new. Hope its something simple like that.
I really hope so!!!! Not ready to start having to throw money at this car just yet. My wife may kill me if I have to already start throwing money at it... haha

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Yeah with me being in NC and DD my Mustangs I haven't paid to much attention to people bringing them out of storage and having issues. I am aware buying a car that has sat it's whole life would possibly have some issues, but mainly asking for thoughts on the video to see if the issue is brake hang or something else. Like you by smell and heat of one wheel I jump to brake hang which is why I jacked the car up and started to do inspection, but found free spinning wheel just with slight noise on both sides and both spinning the same it makes me second guess that...

About to go out and do a hard stop or two to see if that frees some stuff up.

I know they PO's painted the calipers and brackets at least 3 times different colors for different shows I guess... So maybe something wasn't installed back right or something or maybe just need to be set. That or next guess was the piston needs to be reset.

No idea. Been a while since I was in a SN-95(2).

Did you have a chance to listen to video clip to see if you think looks and sounds normal?

Thanks!

You all are forgetting the brake hoses here. A brake hose can collapse and not allow brake fluid to return to the master cylinder. Try to push the caliper piston in without opening the bleeder, if the piston doesn't move suspect the brake hose, then clamp the hose off close to the caliper, open the bleeder and push in on the piston. If the piston moves the caliper is fine and the hose is bad. Also some paint's aren't good to use on the calipers especially if they're layered. I'd strip off the paint then clean and grease all slide points.

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017
PONY Member

The noise in that video is normal. Every vehicle in my driveway would do that right now.

The calipers are somewhat problematic on these. Actually, the entire brake system sucks in my honest opinion. I think you've got a real cherry on your hands...very nice purchase. But doing a full brake job on it would be a wise choice. Brake fluid is hygroscopic so it tends to absorb moisture easily. I'd flush that out too.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page