Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
2002 Ford Mustang GT Brake Issues. HELP!!

Little back story to help set this all up.

I bought the 2002 Ford Mustang GT Monday from a individual with only 12,9XX miles for roughly $9,000. Yes actual miles per Autocheck. After the 20 min drive home getting home I smelt hot clutch or brake smell. Told my friend I was going to bring to his shop to check out as the front wheels felt a little hot. I did so the next day. They frond the front brakes hanging and couldn't find out why... Fast forward a ford master tech who is my friends friend came later that afternoon and checked the car out and his opinion is a seal in the brake booster or master cylinder (can't remember which as I am NOT 100% mechanical) has gone bad and leaked power steering fluid which the guy said is actually the same as trans fluid and the whole brake system needs to be replaced. Meaning he said anything to do with brake system like hoses, pumps, and all... Estimating $3,000 in parts and labor for all this... If it wasn't my friend and his friend telling me this I would be calling BS. Still wondering if I should.... Just doesn't make sense.

Can somebody with much more knowledge than me chime in and help guide me here???

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017
PONY Member

Hmmmm... For starters, that doesn't seem to add up quite right to me either.
the possible wheel/caliper heat you where describing is a symptom of friction (like a seized caliper) and not necessarily a symptom of a faulty master cylinder or booster.

Usually you would notice this kind of thing in the brake pedal right away. Brake master cylinder creates the pressure in the braking system, so when that goes the pedal feels very spongy.
think of a booster (like a power steering pump), in that it makes the pedal user friendly (with all the pressure), so when it fails you get the complete opposite, where the pedal is stiff as **** and hardly moves. Both result is reduced braking ability.

You never mentioned anything like that to us, and given that you have owned a few other stangs, I would think you would have noticed that being off, which leads me to believe the breaking all felt pretty normal.

did you check to see if there is any brake fluid in the master cyl. can you confirm it is leaking?

worse case if you have to replace one or the other, that does not necessarily mean you have to replace the whole braking system (unless there is a lot more wrong). I think you need to take it to a reputable shop and get a second opinion.

I just fail to see how you could have missed something like the whole brake system, leaking and not working, during your test drive.

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

If I read that whole thing right.... He says that the ATF used by the p/s pump (which also powers the brake booster) has, as a result of a seal issue in the booster, infiltrated and mixed with the DOT3 brake fluid? And as a result, now every single braking system component needs to be replaced?

I do know that the materials used for seals etc are often not compatible with fluids they were never designed to come into contact with and can result in failure of some sort, but if the above is true then it should be pretty easy to find evidence of (dark red) ATF being mixed in with (light/golden brown) brake fluid via bleeding, seeing what's in the master cylinder reservoir, etc. Is the p/s reservoir level going down? Is the brake fluid reservoir level going down? Easiest way to spot a leak besides actually finding it is if the level within such a reservoir were observed to be dropping.

The guy could absolutely correct, but I would want to pick his brain a lot more and get a detailed explanation along with proof positive of his diagnosis. Especially since only one of four total brake calipers seem to be affected.

This still comes back down to the usual culprits, IMO..... Caliper pins, issue with the caliper itself, rubber flex line, or other misc brake hardware like the pad shims. My gut says that this will get fixed for far less than $3,000.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlue02 View Post
Hmmmm... For starters, that doesn't seem to add up quite right to me either.
the possible wheel/caliper heat you where describing is a symptom of friction (like a seized caliper) and not necessarily a symptom of a faulty master cylinder or booster.

Usually you would notice this kind of thing in the brake pedal right away. Brake master cylinder creates the pressure in the braking system, so when that goes the pedal feels very spongy.
think of a booster (like a power steering pump), in that it makes the pedal user friendly (with all the pressure), so when it fails you get the complete opposite, where the pedal is stiff as **** and hardly moves. Both result is reduced braking ability.

You never mentioned anything like that to us, and given that you have owned a few other stangs, I would think you would have noticed that being off, which leads me to believe the breaking all felt pretty normal.

did you check to see if there is any brake fluid in the master cyl. can you confirm it is leaking?

worse case if you have to replace one or the other, that does not necessarily mean you have to replace the whole braking system (unless there is a lot more wrong). I think you need to take it to a reputable shop and get a second opinion.

I just fail to see how you could have missed something like the whole brake system, leaking and not working, during your test drive.
Test drive was short due to low miles and owner wanted it short he said due to that. Makes me now wonder if due to brakes....

The pedal on day 2 once I started thinking brake issues and started really focusing on the brake operation I did notice the pedal was firm at first and under normal use then if jammed or hard braking it was firm then not firm and then firm at the bottom. This is when I was jamming on the brakes. Stoping seemed normal under normal driving.

So speed to yesterday. Tech who is my friend lifted up and spun brakes and we saw wheel was hard to turn. So he took wheel off and then preceded to inspect calipers. Took calipers off and pushed pistons in and then seemed to move so seized not the deal. By this test he said lines shouldn't be collapsed which he said was second guess. He then looked at fluid in reservoir again and looked at fluid cover and noticed it was darker than it should. We assumed never changed since no records in the book I was given with all the things purchased for the car and no maintenance. So he said water in the system can cause this color so he did a flush. After that vacuum flush/bled it seemed to work as the wheels spun freely. Went on test and all seemed better and good at first. Could defiantly tell a difference in the brake pedal then as firm 100% of the time and I mean FIRM. Went to lunch with him and by the time we got lunch and back to the shop we could tell dragging again. So we started looking again and this is where he called his friend who is Ford high up master tech or w/e the highest tech is there to come give opinion. That is when all the bad news mentioned in post was determined.

How does that all sound. Let me know if more info is needed.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
If I read that whole thing right.... He says that the ATF used by the p/s pump (which also powers the brake booster) has, as a result of a seal issue in the booster, infiltrated and mixed with the DOT3 brake fluid? And as a result, now every single braking system component needs to be replaced?

I do know that the materials used for seals etc are often not compatible with fluids they were never designed to come into contact with and can result in failure of some sort, but if the above is true then it should be pretty easy to find evidence of (dark red) ATF being mixed in with (light/golden brown) brake fluid via bleeding, seeing what's in the master cylinder reservoir, etc. Is the p/s reservoir level going down? Is the brake fluid reservoir level going down? Easiest way to spot a leak besides actually finding it is if the level within such a reservoir were observed to be dropping.

The guy could absolutely correct, but I would want to pick his brain a lot more and get a detailed explanation along with proof positive of his diagnosis. Especially since only one of four total brake calipers seem to be affected.

This still comes back down to the usual culprits, IMO..... Caliper pins, issue with the caliper itself, rubber flex line, or other misc brake hardware like the pad shims. My gut says that this will get fixed for far less than $3,000.
Having to reply individually as no working multi quote function right now. Please also read post above.

"If I read that whole thing right.... He says that the ATF used by the p/s pump (which also powers the brake booster) has, as a result of a seal issue in the booster, infiltrated and mixed with the DOT3 brake fluid? And as a result, now every single braking system component needs to be replaced?" That is a correct statement and understand of what was said.

"The guy could absolutely correct, but I would want to pick his brain a lot more and get a detailed explanation along with proof positive of his diagnosis. Especially since only one of four total brake calipers seem to be affected." My fear is from what I can research correct if his diagnosis is correct the whole system is compromised if that kind of leak did happen.

So what is a good way to tell if this in fact did happen?

Suck as issues noticed same day purchased for just shy of 9K... Got around $9600 in it right now as I had to put tires on as the ones that came on it were 2001 stock tires....... Terrible situation and the guy of course when I called to ask and see what could be done says sorry not my car anymore... That leaves me with eat the loss and hoping this is all that breaks dropping 3K (or w/e it costs) in to fix and hope the rest holds up for years to come, hire and attorney and hope and pray, or fight in small claims court. However this can be a conversation later and maybe another area. I want to stick to the issue and get as much info and guidance to help me fix this issue and move on with my life before my wife kills me or stress from the situation kills me....

HELP!! Thanks already to both of you for the help and look forward to discussing further.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017
Apprentice

i cant see why you cant replace the hydroboost unit(brake booster) power bleed,flush the whole system and move on.maybe replace brake hoses for good measure.
SonicBlue02 likes this.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper bird View Post
i cant see why you cant replace the hydroboost unit(brake booster) power bleed,flush the whole system and move on.maybe replace brake hoses for good measure.
See that is a valid question and one that I have. It does seem @SoCal2V says that can't be done along with the techs that I talked to yesterday. Looking forward to what SoCal2v and @SonicBlue02 have to say to the replies I made to them. (With the site issues I hope they see my replies adding information...) What you said makes sense to me, but I don't know a lot about the mechanical aspect of how it all works. I can do basic things myself and I have gotten pretty good at diagnosing most things as I have learned from a lot of friends I went to high school and college with many years ago as most are in mechanical fields now. Business, communication, and pre-law is my strong suites of knowledge. Mechanical and mechanics was a side trait and interest as I LOVE cars so I natural made friends with lots of car people and in turn lots of those friends went into the mechanical field.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017
PONY Member

your last post did offer some greater insight.

first off, I do not have experience with the brake boosters on our cars. I thought it was a vacuum with no fluid. SoCal learned my something new and that bad news is if our boosters have power steering fluid running through that contamination is why your friends friend is telling you the whole system needs replaced. Brake and power steering fluid are nothing alike. The first time the brake pedal was pushed power steering fluid was all through the entire system, and it will destroy every seal in your break system it touches. I do not know of anyway to flush the entire system. and more than likely the damage has already been done.

I'm sorry dude, that really sucks. not surprising the guy does not want to talk with you. I don't know much about lawsuits and what not, so I dunno how that turns out.

Regardless I agree with SoCal, that it should not cost 3 grand to fix (even replacing everything). I think you could gets all the parts for half of that or less.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017
PONY Member

Trying to learn more about the hydroboost system, so i can offer more help. From looking at my mustang and reading a little online. I am not sure that that brake fluid (even thpugh powering the booster) actually could get into the brake system via a bad seal. Again I am not familiar with the hydroboost, so i am not certain of this. If the fluids are in seperate casts, the only way ATF could be introduced into the brake system is if the previous owner directly poured it into the brake resv. If that is that case than it sounds like your s.o.l. again like SoCal said, it should be easy to tell (based on color) if it is actually ATF. Best case is that they have not mixed and the brakefluid is just in need of replacement.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
your last post did offer some greater insight.

first off, I do not have experience with the brake boosters on our cars. I thought it was a vacuum with no fluid. SoCal learned my something new and that bad news is if our boosters have power steering fluid running through that contamination is why your friends friend is telling you the whole system needs replaced. Brake and power steering fluid are nothing alike. The first time the brake pedal was pushed power steering fluid was all through the entire system, and it will destroy every seal in your break system it touches. I do not know of anyway to flush the entire system. and more than likely the damage has already been done.

I'm sorry dude, that really sucks. not surprising the guy does not want to talk with you. I don't know much about lawsuits and what not, so I dunno how that turns out.

Regardless I agree with SoCal, that it should not cost 3 grand to fix (even replacing everything). I think you could gets all the parts for half of that or less.
Quote at the shop today for first shop formal estimate was $4,050. The ABS module alone is like $1300 apparently... I was in the room when they called the local Ford dealer as no part can be found at NAPA or the like. The local Ford dealer said customer retail is $2,200. That is insane.... I can't disclose the actual cost the shop I was at pays as that is confidential, but the price they are able to offer me on the part is right around $1300.

Plan to go to Ford tomorrow, but assuming they will be more if they don't discount their ABS module... ha

Problem with getting quotes from places is their techs may be like my friend who doesn't really know the issue and they start guessing it could be this or that. So I have to wonder how this process will go...

As far as the legal matter I will have to post back on that as I know from pre-law classes it is not advisable to discuss on going legal matters should this situation escalate and move to that... The main reason for this post is to hopefully obtain information on my situation and assess how to move forward as ultimately I want to get the car on the road and have the car live the good life it was built to do...

Quote:
Trying to learn more about the hydroboost system, so i can offer more help. From looking at my mustang and reading a little online. I am not sure that that brake fluid (even thpugh powering the booster) actually could get into the brake system via a bad seal. Again I am not familiar with the hydroboost, so i am not certain of this. If the fluids are in seperate casts, the only way ATF could be introduced into the brake system is if the previous owner directly poured it into the brake resv. If that is that case than it sounds like your s.o.l. again like SoCal said, it should be easy to tell (based on color) if it is actually ATF. Best case is that they have not mixed and the brakefluid is just in need of replacement.
I am not sure how the hydroboost system works either. If you find a good diagram let me know. One that shows you that fluids shouldn't mix would be helpful as it sounds like that may be what you found...

Fluid looked dark and not like normal brake fluid. Orignally thought to be water and dirty causing this considering the fluid was 15 years old.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

He isn't on here as often as he used to be and I hate to draw attention to people that weren't somehow asking for it, but since he is without any doubt the most technically knowledgeable individual on this forum then I think it would be a good move to send wmburns a PM on this, be sure to link this thread so he can see what's going on. If anybody here possibly has reasonably advanced knowledge of the inner workings of this magical thing we call Hydroboost and clear direction on how to move forward, he is your guy.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post

Fluid looked dark and not like normal brake fluid. Orignally thought to be water and dirty causing this considering the fluid was 15 years old.
Dude I've seen brake fluid more than once that was so fk'd up it was green. Like seriously, dark effing green. It all flushes out though, no biggie. Parts like the ABS module can be found much less expensive, just a couple hundred $$. Check Ebay, lots of refurbished ones w/ warranty or guarantee of some sort for a much more reasonable price.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
He isn't on here as often as he used to be and I hate to draw attention to people that weren't somehow asking for it, but since he is without any doubt the most technically knowledgeable individual on this forum then I think it would be a good move to send wmburns a PM on this, be sure to link this thread so he can see what's going on. If anybody here possibly has reasonably advanced knowledge of the inner workings of this magical thing we call Hydroboost and clear direction on how to move forward, he is your guy.
I reached out to wmburns, but haven't gotten a response back. Hopefully hear something soon and learn what I need to in order to get things going in the right direction. Thank you for sharing and recommending wmburns.

I really appreciate your help and any help I can get from anyone on the topic as I am very lost when it comes to this and it seems the system is a very different system than other braking systems.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
The more reading I do the more I find this is correct. I can't find anything on a seal breaking causing fluids to be able to mix.

On the other side I can't find anything to show me just how the whole system works so I can't confirm that one way or another...

So lost on my understanding of how this all works...

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Are you planning to do the work yourself? Are you willing to do some tests and see where they take you?

A car that has spent a great deal of it's time setting is not ideal. Setting is also very HARD on cars. To me, it's no surprise that the front calipers are hanging. Moisture will get behind the piston seal and rust the piston to the caliper bore. The piston will extend but will not retract. Same thing happens to the slid pins.

If this were my car one of the first things I would do is to perform a through visual inspection of all of the brake parts. Especially the calipers. Take them off. Find out if the slid pins move freely. Open the bleeder valve and see how easily the piston compresses.

Next bleed/flush the brake system. Just keep bleeding the brakes until the fluid runs clear. Don't let the master cylinder run dry.

I honestly think that you have TWO problems. A sticking brake issue and a leaking power steering/hydro-boost system.

Here's some information that you may find helpful.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page