2001 GT auto can't shift into 3rd/4th gear - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dB Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

2001 GT auto can't shift into 3rd/4th gear

Hi guys, I just bought a 2001 Mustang GT with the 4-speed auto (152k miles), that was rebuilt at 141k miles, so should be relatively fresh (also had 3.73 gears installed). All that work was done with the second to last owner.

Just recently had a overheating problem fixed (thermostat), and out of the blue I am no longer able to drive into 3rd/4th gear. The car just accelerates from 1st to 2nd normally, and that's it.

A curious symptom is that when left in drive, and I'm pushing on the gas pedal, the car acts like it's revving in neutral, until you rev past 3500 (which is where you get acceleration again in 2nd). What could be the problem? Solenoid? Shifter not being recognized from being in Drive?

I have no CELs at this time showing up (may not be showing up at all, as that same second to last owner straight-piped the car and had a custom O2 sensor to hide the missing catalytic converters).

Appreciate the help I can get. I have attached the original workpaper from the transmission shop that did the work (number is disconnected, and text is very faded, I can't read it).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair Diagnosis (Censored).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	573769  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017
Apprentice

Could be mechanical/hydrolic, could be electrical, could be in the vb, or the pcm, or the converter . . .
the lack of codes isn't going to tell you what you need to know (and the mil eliminators won't stop the pcm from throwing other codes - or a rear o2 code for that matter if the "device" fails)
I think you're going to need a proper scantool to run this down but maybe not, hopefully burns or someone else will chime in

I was initially going to say two things:
1) Did you run the car a long time under load with it running really hot or overheating? The 4R70W transmission does NOT like heat - no automatic does, but you'll be able to tell if that's the problem by checking your fluid. Even presuming it hasn't been changed since that 2015 "rebuild" it shouldn't be burnt. Check it.

2) the failure to shift into 3 or od IS a common failure symptom for these (and its likely not actually going into neutral although it feels like it), it might be a semi-simple valvebody fix, it might be something more serious (which means new tranny time). I believe - if you find that the fluid is acceptable - I believe without a scantool the diagnostic procedure is going to be drop the vb

3) I see something more concerning in that faded receipt . . . combined with the mil eliminators and the 3.73 rar change.
On the top right PART column it appears to say something like "Banner kit" or "Bonner Kit" . . . and I shudder and think . . .
OH NO, COULD THAT SAY OR MEAN BAUMANN KIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!!!

Did the car seem to shift extra hard when it was running right? Have you driven other stock similar year autotrans mustangs?
Like squeel the tires on the 1-2 and 2-3 under wot extra hard?

If someone put some shiftkit crap in that transmission I'd say all hope is freakin lost.
You would need to know who's kit and what mods and then probably go to THEIR tech line and tell them symptom.

Now, I'm maybe going to get flamed by folks who have them
and maybe this is going to show my being out of the modular game for like 10 years
BUT in my day, the only thing you did to a 4R to make it killer and not a disaster waiting to happen . . . was one of the various levels of the "J-mod"
You did NOT put Baumann or BnM or anyone elses fracked up valvebody kits in it

SO
1) hows the fluid?
2) did the transmission seem performance modified (harsher shorter shifts) and/or were you told it had a valvebody or shiftkit in it when you bought it?

Urambo Tauro likes this.

Renegade Racing 4.6 SOHC: Cobra Crank, Manley Rods, Coated Diamond Pistons 10.75:1 comp w/valve reliefs, PnP CNCd NPI heads, PI intake, Comp Cams 262ah, Ferrea Valves, 70mm TB, TrickFlow, BBK LT o/r X, SCT, Exedy, FRPP 4.10 rar
2001 GT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017
GT Member

Garage
DB, the J-mod is still the way to go for the 4r70w.

4r70w's are also known for breaking accumulator springs, maybe thats the problem here?

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017
GT Member

Garage
Also, I think that says "banner". Thats what the gasket kit is referred to by some transmission parts places.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017
GT Member

Garage
Looking through some troubleshooting steps I have, a failed shift solenoid 2 (SS2) can cause a 3rd and 4th gear only condition if failed on and can cause a 1st and 2nd gear only if it is failed off. The solenoid could be failed mechanically.

1998 GT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

@dB Racing :

1) I suppose I did, came to about 3/4s of the way to overheating a couple of times while trying to make my way home.

2) I will be taking a look at the fluid later today. I don't think it'd be burnt, but of course it doesn't help to check.

3) All symptoms check out. I was hoping it was the j-mod, but apparently (have this thread x-posted on other forums) somebody said they messed around with the repair receipt in photoshop and found this to be on there:

"The transmission was rebuilt in June 2015 by installing a "Banner" kit, a re-manufactured torque converter, and a TransGo HD2 valve body reprogramming kit.

Parts were $500, transmission fluid $68, labor $780.88, and tax $51.12.
Warranty is 90 days or 4000 miles, whichever occurs first."

Banner kit it is, ****. Seller told me he had that receipt for a transmission rebuild with 3.73 gears, but it was unreadable time and it was before he bought it, so he likely had no idea what else work was done.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017
Apprentice

So one of the guys above posted that the banner kit is a gasket/frictions kit typical for rebuilds

but transgo is indeed one of the valvebody defilers
I mean depending on WHEN it was done it might simply be the Jerry mod (and btw, named for Jerry Wroblewski, Ford Powertrain Engineer and one of the original SCT guys)
but it could be all sorts of batS crazy too

If the vb is not stock I'm not sure how you troubleshoot this without knowing WHO it was made by and what THEY think of the symptoms.

Renegade Racing 4.6 SOHC: Cobra Crank, Manley Rods, Coated Diamond Pistons 10.75:1 comp w/valve reliefs, PnP CNCd NPI heads, PI intake, Comp Cams 262ah, Ferrea Valves, 70mm TB, TrickFlow, BBK LT o/r X, SCT, Exedy, FRPP 4.10 rar
2001 GT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

I might as well saving up for a diagnosis and transmission rebuild to go to a shop.

Anyone you recommend in the SoCal area, preferably one who's fees are very reasonable and low?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017
GT Member

Garage
Yup, banner kit is just a paper and rubber kit (seals and gaskets). Consider the solenoids though, it makes sense and it the only thing I saw in my troubleshooting book that I saw with the same symptoms you have.

1998 GT
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1335 View Post
I might as well saving up for a diagnosis and transmission rebuild to go to a shop.

Anyone you recommend in the SoCal area, preferably one who's fees are very reasonable and low?
Don't give up yet.

1998 GT
Apprentice

So looks like you have a
Transgo AODE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit

Per transgo's website:
Fits AODE, 4R70W and 4R75W 1991-2013 Ford/Lincoln Mercury

Upgraded in July 2013 to include new Steel Pressure Regulator valve and accumulator springs. Includes new Solenoid Regulator valve, EPC Relief system, 3rd Accumulator Plate saver, and special High Tech Forward Clutch sealing rings.

Addresses: 4th band failure; 2nd roller failure; long soft 1-2 and 2-3 shifts; reduces accidental high-pressure parts breakage. Saves cracked and worn separator plate.

Features: Progressively Firmer performance type shifts with class, great for Hot Rods, Race vehicles or hard working vehicles. Gear Command Back shift to any gear at your command. Holds the gear you select to any rpm.

Installation recommendation: Experienced technician
Transmission removal necessary: No

I'd call transgo's product support and tell them the symptoms and see if they can suggest anything to look at.
But either way its going to just involve a pan drop to check - If you can't do that and check yourself you need to find a performance shop

2001 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page