2004 GT Mustang - 5 Speed Manual Transmission - Lost 3rd and 4th Gear - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Question 2004 GT Mustang - 5 Speed Manual Transmission - Lost 3rd and 4th Gear

Hey everybody, I'm new to the AFM site and I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance/direction. This morning on the way to work I dropped into 3rd gear to pass someone going 50 in the fast lane and that was fine, went back up to 5th with no problem then ( a few miles later ) I went back into 3rd and nothing. 4th gear worked but then on the way home I lost 4th gear as well so now all I have is 1st, 2nd, and 5th (not good).
I haven't done any tranny work since I swapped out an FMX with a B&M Street Strip C6 and I've never done a manual transmission swap. 15 K worth of Snap-On tools and I just don't have the time or another car to drive while I fix this (what a shame - I know).
Of course the warranty ran out about 10k miles ago and this is my primary/only vehicle so I've already scheduled an apointment at the local dealer (trust me I don't want to do this but I'm running out of time).
The dealer gave me a ballpark of 1000 to 1500 and I just want to make sure that I'm not getting hosed too bad.
Can someone tell me:
1.) what might be the problem (I'm thinking the synchro is pooched)
2.) the car has got ~50k miles, is there any other maintenance I should definitely do while the tranny is out since I have to pay for an R&R anyway?
3.) why this kind of crap always happens when I have no money - LOL

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008
Site Sponsor
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_def_j View Post
Hey everybody, I'm new to the AFM site and I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance/direction. This morning on the way to work I dropped into 3rd gear to pass someone going 50 in the fast lane and that was fine, went back up to 5th with no problem then ( a few miles later ) I went back into 3rd and nothing. 4th gear worked but then on the way home I lost 4th gear as well so now all I have is 1st, 2nd, and 5th (not good).
I haven't done any tranny work since I swapped out an FMX with a B&M Street Strip C6 and I've never done a manual transmission swap. 15 K worth of Snap-On tools and I just don't have the time or another car to drive while I fix this (what a shame - I know).
Of course the warranty ran out about 10k miles ago and this is my primary/only vehicle so I've already scheduled an apointment at the local dealer (trust me I don't want to do this but I'm running out of time).
The dealer gave me a ballpark of 1000 to 1500 and I just want to make sure that I'm not getting hosed too bad.
Can someone tell me:
1.) what might be the problem (I'm thinking the synchro is pooched)
2.) the car has got ~50k miles, is there any other maintenance I should definitely do while the tranny is out since I have to pay for an R&R anyway?
3.) why this kind of crap always happens when I have no money - LOL

Thanks in advance.
Does it make any grinding noise or anything when you try to go back into 3rd or 4th? Does the shifter go into the gate and theres nothing there or will it not even go into the gate?

Richard

Richard
Resident manual transmission/driveline guru :hihi:
Tech Sales Support
American Powertrain
A Tremec Elite Distributor
TKO, T45, 3650, T5 & T56 Transmission Systems
2199 Summerfield Rd
Cookeville, TN 38506 (931) 646-4836
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009
Rookie

hmmm

i had similar prob with my gearbox i lost 2nd den 1st
i use to drive in 3rd n den in da end i lost my clutch plate
den got a new transmition n clutch kit
all the GTs 99-04 5speed there gearbox suck the best way is get a 6speed or drive a five speed bt shift on high RPM

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009
Apprentice

well reading your comment and without actually knowing how your car is physically acting. id say a common problem that ive seen has been loss of grip in your blocking ring. your blocking ring is made of a soft metal material usually made of brass or copper so when you rebuild your transmission you dont have to replace much more expensive parts. the blocking ring is part of your synchronizer and is controlled with your shift forks. that could be why you were getting "nothing" because the sharp ridges on your blocking ring for your 3rd gear arent cutting through the oil in your transmission to lock it into gear. usually this happens in 1st gear and 2nd gear because they get most of the abuse.

i hope that big hunk of information helped some! let me know if i can help if you have any questions

Last edited by GreenMachine911; 11-23-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: grammer
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
The 5 speeds in the GT's aren't horrible transmissions if treated decently. I'm no transmission guru but rj is thankfully.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Sounds like you broke the shift fork. Try shutting the car down, put it in third, start it and let the clutch out, if the shifter is where 3rd should be and you get nothing, the shift fork is toast. Start thinking about a rebuild, sounds like you're going to need it.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009
Site Sponsor
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine911 View Post
well reading your comment and without actually knowing how your car is physically acting. id say a common problem that ive seen has been loss of grip in your blocking ring. your blocking ring is made of a soft metal material usually made of brass or copper so when you rebuild your transmission you dont have to replace much more expensive parts. the blocking ring is part of your synchronizer and is controlled with your shift forks. that could be why you were getting "nothing" because the sharp ridges on your blocking ring for your 3rd gear arent cutting through the oil in your transmission to lock it into gear. usually this happens in 1st gear and 2nd gear because they get most of the abuse.

i hope that big hunk of information helped some! let me know if i can help if you have any questions

Great info.

The T45's have brass blocking rings and a smooth surface that rides on the syncro "hub". When we rebuild our T45R's and RS's we actually have a cure for that and it provides instant engagement in all gears.

The factory T45's were quite good actually. The biggest problem is the driver, not the transmission. All too often, a car owner does not take the time to properly adjust the clutch and make sure his/her "linkage" is in perfect working order. This wreaks havoc on a transmission and then they "blame" the transmission.

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

Richard
Resident manual transmission/driveline guru :hihi:
Tech Sales Support
American Powertrain
A Tremec Elite Distributor
TKO, T45, 3650, T5 & T56 Transmission Systems
2199 Summerfield Rd
Cookeville, TN 38506 (931) 646-4836
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010
Rookie

similar problem

i have a similar problem. i have a 96 gt and i can shift into all gears just fine but it doesnt want to come out of 2nd,4th,or reverse. would that be my blocking ring and sycro also?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

I'd start by checking the shifter. If you have an aftermarket one the stops may be adjusted wrong. Also check the clutch cable and make sure that is set right.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page