Viscosity of oil for Mach 1 - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
AlloyPony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 739
 
Viscosity of oil for Mach 1

Manual states 5W20 but my primary concern is engine longevity. It gets hot here during summer and I do a lot of stop/go at a particular car cruise I go to monthly. Should I step up to 5W30? Or will the 5W20 protect the engine long term just fine?


2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
AlloyPony is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018
PONY Member
 
Coosawjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: Beaufort
Posts: 429
 
I run 5W30 in Summer but not sure it makes any difference just seems 30W hot would be better than 20W hot to me??

Coosawjack is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
 
JonR2006's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 4,990
             
Garage
5w30, 7qts, FL-820s filter. That's if you listen to me

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
JonR2006 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
 
SoCal2V's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: see user name
Posts: 8,705
               
And the 5/20 vs 5/30 debate rages onward....

PaladinMicro.com

That site doesn't link well as far as it's specific pages.... Drop down menu at the upper left corner, click Tech/Opinion Articles, then click the one that says something about 5/20. Interesting, indeed.


2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
SoCal2V is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018
PONY Member
 
Coosawjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: Beaufort
Posts: 429
 
It really makes no difference in "Mod Motors" with tight clearances but you may see a "minor" fuel mileage improvement with 5W20!!
Coosawjack is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
 
SoCal2V's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: see user name
Posts: 8,705
               
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
It really makes no difference in "Mod Motors" with tight clearances but you may see a "minor" fuel mileage improvement with 5W20!!
Under theoretical or otherwise laboratory conditions, yes. Which is my understanding why Ford revised to 5/20 from their previous 5/30 recommendation. In real world apllication, no. Manufacturers strive to acheive a given average mpg rating across their model line, and the higher that number then the less $$ they have to pay out to the federal government via CAFE legislation.


2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
SoCal2V is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
AlloyPony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 739
 
I think I'll stick with the 5W30 Motorcraft oil. That way I can just keep it stock piled in my garage. My F-150 takes 8 quarts of it. And you're saying 7 quarts for the Mach 1. So I'm going to go through quite a bit of oil and using the same thing across the board will be easier.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
AlloyPony is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018
Apprentice
 
dB Racing's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 185
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
I think I'll stick with the 5W30 Motorcraft oil. That way I can just keep it stock piled in my garage. My F-150 takes 8 quarts of it. And you're saying 7 quarts for the Mach 1. So I'm going to go through quite a bit of oil and using the same thing across the board will be easier.
Agreed as long as you're getting it in bulk and saving $ too.

Renegade Racing 4.6 SOHC: Cobra Crank, Manley Rods, Coated Diamond Pistons 10.75:1 comp w/valve reliefs, PnP CNCd NPI heads, PI intake, Comp Cams 262ah, Ferrea Valves, 70mm TB, TrickFlow, BBK LT o/r X, SCT, Exedy, FRPP 4.10 rar
2001 GT
dB Racing is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018
Apprentice
 
neuron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 206
 
Can't see a downside to 5W30, especially if your engine has a few miles on it. The winter rating is the same with a little more viscosity when warmer than 5W20.
neuron is offline  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
 
SoCal2V's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: see user name
Posts: 8,705
               
Quote:
Originally Posted by dB Racing View Post
Agreed as long as you're getting it in bulk and saving $ too.
Walmart.... 5qt bottle of Motorcraft semi-synth goes for $17.


2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
SoCal2V is offline  
Rookie
 
pdogg74's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 49
 
Garage
The other question that should be asked is how many times are you changing your oil during the summer verses the winter. I live in VA, the winters are cold and summer can be very hot. I drive my car a lot specially during car meet season, since I have my weekends off, I usually hit up 3 or 4 cars meets in one day and can put almost a 1000 miles on my car during a weekend run. For me I use 5 w20 year round however, I change my oil more frequent during the summer months (every 5000 miles) and during the winter (every 8000 miles) since my engine does not run as hot. Plus every oil change I put my favorite BG product MOA, for extra insurance year round as well. So far my engine is humming along, no ticks, no loss of power and great MPG. But hay that is my two cents you can use it or lose it, let us know your final out come and how well your engine is performing.

Ford Mustang 2003 Mach1 Torch Red (D3)
8in black antenna / Exceedy Stage 2 Clutch 450
Ford Racing Billett FlyWheel / JLT CAI/JLT OIL CC/MGW SS
17/275-315 Nitto 555 / Offset Semi-Black Gloss Saleen Rims
Pioneer Touch Screen / J&L Amp /2 J&L 10" Subwoofers in a Box/ SLP Catback Exhaust/ BAMA Tuner
pdogg74 is offline  
PONY Member
 
Coosawjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: Beaufort
Posts: 429
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg74 View Post
The other question that should be asked is how many times are you changing your oil during the summer verses the winter. I live in VA, the winters are cold and summer can be very hot. I drive my car a lot specially during car meet season, since I have my weekends off, I usually hit up 3 or 4 cars meets in one day and can put almost a 1000 miles on my car during a weekend run. For me I use 5 w20 year round however, I change my oil more frequent during the summer months (every 5000 miles) and during the winter (every 8000 miles) since my engine does not run as hot. Plus every oil change I put my favorite BG product MOA, for extra insurance year round as well. So far my engine is humming along, no ticks, no loss of power and great MPG. But hay that is my two cents you can use it or lose it, let us know your final out come and how well your engine is performing.
You may want to change your oil more frequently in Winter since you will get more moisture and fuel contamination with cooler oil!!

The PCV works best at higher oil temperatures that allows the vaporized contaminants to be removed!!

5k to 8k oil changes are fine with modern synthetics regardless and you will probably never see a problem either way!!
Coosawjack is offline  
Rookie
 
pdogg74's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 49
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
You may want to change your oil more frequently in Winter since you will get more moisture and fuel contamination with cooler oil!!

The PCV works best at higher oil temperatures that allows the vaporized contaminants to be removed!!

5k to 8k oil changes are fine with modern synthetics regardless and you will probably never see a problem either way!!

Thank you never thought about that, this is why love this forum so much knowledge out there at your finger tips.

Ford Mustang 2003 Mach1 Torch Red (D3)
8in black antenna / Exceedy Stage 2 Clutch 450
Ford Racing Billett FlyWheel / JLT CAI/JLT OIL CC/MGW SS
17/275-315 Nitto 555 / Offset Semi-Black Gloss Saleen Rims
Pioneer Touch Screen / J&L Amp /2 J&L 10" Subwoofers in a Box/ SLP Catback Exhaust/ BAMA Tuner
pdogg74 is offline  
PONY Member
 
Coosawjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: Beaufort
Posts: 429
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg74 View Post
Thank you never thought about that, this is why love this forum so much knowledge out there at your finger tips.
Glad you took it this way because that's how I meant it "pdogg"!!
Coosawjack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1