• 1 Post By 08'MustangDude
  • 1 Post By wmburns
  • 1 Post By Truth in Ruin
  • 1 Post By 08'MustangDude

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Bad alternator?

So I started my car this weekend (2003 GT), and noticed that there was a strange whining noise coming from under the hood. I go to the front of my car, and noticed a stinky smell, then I saw a little bit of smoke oozing from the front pony part of the grill. I shut the car off, opened the hood, but couldnít find the culprit. Then I noticed my alternator was stinking.

I see AM has an SR alternator for $105-ish. Does anyone here have experience with this specific alternator? I hope that itís just the alternator that took a s#!t, and not some underlying issue.

Hopefully one these days Iíll actually be able to buy go fast parts intstead of maintenance parts!

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018
08'MustangDude

Truth in Ruin likes this.

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 06-05-2018 at 06:37 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

+1 on above. Sometimes the low tech tests are great places to start. IE remove the front belt and give it the ole "visual" inspection. IF it is being dragged over pulleys that will leave it's mark.

Next turn the front engine pulleys by hand. Listen and feel how the bearings turn and sound.

If you are hard core and want to save a few $$'s here's some advanced information on alternators. Included is how to rebuild your own to save even more.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...-drop-test.56/

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks MustangDude!

@wmburns I see you helping a lot of people around here; you truly are the Stig.

Iím driving to Montana today, and wonít be home until next weekend, so I wonít be around the Mustang until then. I will heed the trouble shooting advice, and report back once I find out what it is. I can send videos of what it sounds like via email if anyone is interested. Thanks again guys!
neuron likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018
Apprentice

Just a bit of insight.. I had an alternator go bad on my '02, and when it went out there was a battery light that came on on the dash, indicating that the car was being electrically powered solely by the battery. Another simple way to check for sure if turning on all accessories with the car running yields no results is to leave them all on and unplug the battery with the car running.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018
08'MustangDude

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 06-05-2018 at 06:37 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Okay. Started, and pulled the Mustang out of the garage yesterday. I noticed the whine, and smell coming from the alternator area. The belt seems fine; no squeaking, etc.

After a couple minutes the whine and smell went away, so now Iím even more stumped. Maybe the alternator is falling in, and out of death? Lol

I did, however, notice a strang occasional on and off hissing sound coming from the rear of the motor; from the intake perhaps? It sounded like a spray can occasionally spraying. After awhile the sound was constant.

So Iím back with no results, or solutions lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018
Banned

Replace the belt and see what happens, if that doesn't fix it then replace the alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page