Help mustang having a strange problem want to see if someone can answer this - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Help mustang having a strange problem want to see if someone can answer this

Hie Guy! I have a 2003 mustang gt 4.6l that I bought 2 years ago. When I bought the car it had been sitting up for a year at the previous owners home. When I got it I replaced the top plastic intake system because it was cracked(heard this is a common problem), spark plugs, put performance coil packs, oil, fuel filter, electric fan, water pump, put a cold air intake and battery (believe that’s all). Well the car drove and ran fine for a month then died out on me driving in town. Before it died I heard a low ticking noise, sounded like it was coming from my dash by the steering wheel. Didn’t pay any mind to it then it died at the red light. Check engine light came on. I hurried and plug my scanner to it and cleared the code(can’t remember if I wrote the code down r not) it started right back up. Drove for another 2 miles then it started to sputter on me then died. Tried to crank it up, it wouldn’t turn over but it didn’t make the click click noise like a dead battery but made a whining noise from the starter. if I remember correctly I do believe I seen a little oil on the ground under the backside of the motor on the ground. Loaded it the trailer brought it home. Tried it again few days later same thing then a month later same thing. Now it been sitting up for almost 2 years and I finally decided to mess with it again. Of course the battery is dead so I hooked up a battery charger to it lastnight. Then this morning I put the charger is jump start mode. This time the motor turns over but very very slowly. The starter sounds fine still needed a little more juice but the motor turning over was slow. Finally after a few attempts keeping the key forward for 10 sec and holding the gas pedal all the way down it started but idling like crap. Rev it up it sounds great but as soon as I put it in gear it dieds. I’m sure where I need to start on the starting problem would to be to put a new battery and the idle problem would be put new gas. But my main concern is why did it die, why did a check engine come on, and why all of a sudden now after sitting up forever it turns over. Also if that really was oil from my motor. Any input on this would be great

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018
BOSS Member

well, start with the codes and see what it says...…………..the gas might be bad as well...definitiely need to change it and the fuel filter out

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

There are no more codes at the moment check engine light never came back one

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018
PONY Member

What beechkid said, proper gas, fuel pressure, injector pulse, spark. Then you can advance from there. Sittting time is hard on cars, its very hard on them. To be thorough you have a lot to check to make it safe, and road worthy. Sensors play big roles, get you a volt meter, get that battery charged, and get to checking. Good luck bro.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
This is my post from the other thread you have as this topic seems to be double posted...

It would be nice to know codes. Is the car relatively stock? It does very much sound like what happened to me and it was indeed the fuel pump. Have somebody bang on the fuel tank while you try to start it. If it starts and runs while banging, but dies when they stop banging it is likely the fuel pump. That is at least how my good friend who is a mechanic diagnosed mine and I knew that is a common method used as crazy as it sounds. haha

It could also be bad gas, power issues to the fuel system, bad fuel pressure, and amoung many other things. It is really had to diagnose something like this without being with the car and trying some things out. So the more you can try out and report back the more we can help.

If you want to start with the fuel pump check out the thread I just had as their is some great advice provided and you can see what I did as well.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...art-issue.html

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Fuel filter is doubtful. It wouldn’t hurt to change it but I’m pretty sure it won’t get you up and running.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Fuel filter is doubtful. It wouldn’t hurt to change it but I’m pretty sure it won’t get you up and running.
I am wondering if Beechkid left out fuel pump. As you would of course change the fuel filter when changing the fuel pump.

Also OP do note that I recommend replacing the whole fuel pump assembly and not just the small tube part of the pump. The whole fuel pump and all should be replaced since we are at this age it will do more good than harm and it doesn't cost all that much more and is even a little less work.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

A couple of things to note that may help out here.

It takes a large professional cart sized battery charger to produce enough amps to start a car with a totally dead battery. A home based battery charger can only "assist" a weak battery. Do yourself a favor and start any trouble shooting session with a known good fully charged battery.

Next thing is it would be EXPECTED for the motor to have a poor idle after a battery disconnect. It takes some stable motor running time for the PCM to re-learn new idle trim settings. I had a 1996 GT that was undriveable after a battery disconnect unless you allowed it to idle for several minutes with the AC off and then a few more minutes with the AC on after a battery disconnect.

After setting for 2 years bad gas is a real possibility. This depends upon your local weather and how well the fuel system is sealed. Add to this the possibility of gas gummed up fuel injectors. It's all a "possibility".

Recommend working through the "crank with no start" check list and see where it takes you. Good luck.

1996+ Crank with no start check list:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...e.html#2984838

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks guys for the responses. And yes like I said in the post to fix the issue with with how it’s running now will most likely be a easy fix new battery, new gas, new pump, ext. My main concern is why it killed on me in the first place/when I tired to start it back up back then why did the starter sounded like it just would spin not turning over the motor when it had a good pump and battery. Why now after a year it all of a sudden cranked up with a battery being jumped and bad gas. To me if the fuel pump when out then the motor would have still tried to turn over and if the battery was dead why it didn’t click but instead just spend the starter. I had a buddy of mine tell me it might have been a pulley seize up witch killed the car and not allow it to turn the motor over and the reason it starts now is because the hot and cold weather may have unseized it. Also when the car broke down the guy who came get me off the side of the road and pulled me back said it sound like the timing Chain. What r y’all thouggts about this?
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Is it running now? If your timing chain was broken it won’t run.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Is it running now? If your timing chain was broken it won’t run.
What if it jumped timing?
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsav69 View Post
What if it jumped timing?
Back in the old days skipping timing around 100K(OHV Engines) was practically a given(especially with the nylon gears, yes nylon). Since ours have a chain(or two) then theoretically I would think it is entirely possible, however I have never seen this problem mentioned on any forum I have been on yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page