Forgot to put my tune back in - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

But wait SoCal..a cobra or Mach 1 doesn't have forged internals? Please let me know cause that will really help narrow my decision down if it comes down to choosing which engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnasty71 View Post
But wait SoCal..a cobra or Mach 1 doesn't have forged internals? Please let me know cause that will really help narrow my decision down if it comes down to choosing which engine.
The 96-01 Cobras and 03-04 MAch 1 have the same rods and same piston material as the 2Vs. The cranks are forged and thats it.

03-04 Cobras have a fully forged bottom end.

Acceptable limits of a non-forged 4V is 450whp (2V is 400whp). 03-04 Cobras are probably 600-650whp (might be more, I'm not sure).

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Wow...I had no idea...I appreciate the info. That definitely helps me in my decision process for sure. Thanks..👍🏾

PONY Member

2V cranks are good enough for probably 80-85% of builds. They will handle 500-600rwhp, 7,000-7,500rpm. MMR uses them in their 600 HP short block package. A good set of forged pistons, and forged H-beams with the 2v crank, and you got yourself a nice strong, balanced, lightweight rotating assembly that will turn 500hp and 7,000 with ease. And of course a good tune.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

It might have been better to use N2O instead of an energy drink.. 😉
Yeah man tuning is the name of the game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	915DA595-2AD0-4A00-BC5F-6A8978B88692_1529483070188.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	603641   Click image for larger version

Name:	A728CB16-A876-4174-AED0-7B11299DE2E8_1529483245310.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	603643  
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

I've been spraying my ride with a 125 shot now for the better part of 3 yrs with no issue. Other than 2 Back fires which were my own fault. She's held up remarkably. I don't think spraying it 1 time without the tune would of done anything. I think I may have had some underlying issues that I didn't know about and tune or no tune it finally gave way. That's my 2nd engine...I bought used with 65k on it and it held up like a champ!! I put another 70-80k miles on it. So I def for my money's worth given the fact of what I was doing with it. If anything it's a testament to how tough those little 2 valves are. I knew this day would come eventually and I'm prepared to do whatever I need to do get my baby to run another day. And I'm gonna spray it again lol
neuron likes this.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Drove it over to my buddy's shop yesterday. Despite What's wrong with it...it drove like a champ. My buddy revved it up and sure enough he hears the pinging / knocking. He also looked at my spark plug and without taking the valve cover off immediately says, that's a broken valve. Says it can be fixed but given what I'm doing with the car it would be in my best interest to get a new / used engine. So at this point, there will be no racing in my immediate future. On I guess a somewhat good note, I can still drive it, just can't race it. Well I can race it but it'll probably be the last time the engine will run If I do...lol So now begins the search for a suitable replacement. Anyone have any ideas on where to look I would welcome your suggestions. Thanks for all your help guys.
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Drove it over to my buddy's shop yesterday. Despite What's wrong with it...it drove like a champ. My buddy revved it up and sure enough he hears the pinging / knocking. He also looked at my spark plug and without taking the valve cover off immediately says, that's a broken valve. Says it can be fixed but given what I'm doing with the car it would be in my best interest to get a new / used engine. So at this point, there will be no racing in my immediate future. On I guess a somewhat good note, I can still drive it, just can't race it. Well I can race it but it'll probably be the last time the engine will run If I do...lol So now begins the search for a suitable replacement. Anyone have any ideas on where to look I would welcome your suggestions. Thanks for all your help guys.

You wouldnt happen to still have your old engine would you? You can build these things pretty easily and cheap if you search around. I mean hell, Ive got a 13:1 compression teksid longblock with ported pi heads and diamond forged pistons that would suit your needs just right.......

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
PONY Member

Choose your next engine wisely. Take the complete conditions of the donor car into consideration. It's kinda funny but if the car is shinny, and the interior is in good shape, but the car was just in a wreck. Odds are that the engine was taken care of. I love old people crown vic's, town car's, merc's ect.. I know these cars are heavier, but 9 out of 10 times they were driven easy peasy. Try to stay away from the police cars, these poor cars get the sh** driven out of them. Of course find the lowest millage you can. See if you can get a 30 day warranty if it's from a shop. If its from an individual, don't pay to much unless you have absolutely flawless proof it runs. Sorry for your misfortune bro. Good luck finding another engine. If you was close to Kentucky I would say come on, I've got an extra one w/ 72k.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Yeah I still have my old engine as it's still in the car. Car still runs and drives, remarkably well I might add, it's only when you mash the pedal that bad things start happening..lol Part of me wants to take it to the track and dispatch the engine in epic fashion..lol Don't think the track officials would like me to much afterwards though lol so like the last guy said I'm gonna take my time and do my homework and search around for the right engine. Money isn't really an option but obviously I don't wanna get bent over and screwed either..lol So in between working 65-70hrs a week I'll be searching Craigs list and other forum groups and see what I come up with. I'm also debating just going right to ford racing and buying a crate 2v. I really don't know exactly what I'm gonna do. I will def keep you guys posted on what happens. I def wanna do it right whatever I decide to do.
JonR2006 likes this.
PONY Member

Hey bro, I wish you all the best luck. I will give you a option to think about. My 97 sit for 4 years while I was in the service, so the block cracked. It still ran too lol. Anyways, I started looking around for engines in my neck of the woods, but couldn't find one worth having. I have a good friend thats a general manager at advance auto, he spoke of a brand of remanufactured engines called ATK/Spartan. I looked them up to see what all they did to the engine. They magnaflux everything, deck the heads, block, line bore, bore the cylinders via torque plate, 3 angle valve job, valve guides, all new timing components, seals. They are dry run from ATK/Spartan. It's a long block, so heads, timing cover and oil pan is installed. All you need is intake, valve covers, coolant pipe under the intake, and of course all your front accessories. My car runs great, and never had any issues. I know it's only a npi, but I would put it up against any npi that's not extremely modified. I've actually took down 3 pi cars, 1 auto, and 2 5-speeds, boy they was shocked. I can only imagine how a fresh pi would run like from them, from any good engine builder for that matter. It took 5 days for my engine to come in. With my engine as the core, I ended up paying $2,700. I feel that I got my $ worth. It runs so good I really don't want to swap on the new heads I've got at the engine shop. I've thought about taking my new cams and just running my nextec springs w/ +60 retainers, but that's another topic for another day. Let us know if we can help you anymore bro.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

That's pretty sweet what you were able to do with your ride. The money def sounds right. I def don't wanna go over $3k for everything total. I know you can find some decent used 2 valves engines with decent miles around $1000-$1200. I wish I was more mechanically inclined and had the time to do the install myself. I hear these Motors are pretty much the easiest motors to swap in out in a matter of 1-2 days. I'm Also considering what you suggested earlier or even having the current engine rebuilt completely. I think it's all gonna come down to really doing my homework and seeing cost wise what's gonna net me my best options. Now here's a question I hope you or anyone can answer for me. If I decide to just swap out engines from one car to another. No upgrade just an even Steven swap. 2 valve for a 2 valve. What should I make sure it has so I'm not chasing my tail because I forgot to make sure it has a wiring harness for example. I want to mane this is a hassle free for me and my mechanic. I appreciate any and all help. Oh and nice job on Spankin those guys with your npi engine by introducing them to some old 70s & 80s soul music from the GAP band lol
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Smarta$$ answer, Anything CAN be catastrophic but it is not guaranteed WILL be... LOL

2002 V6 Oxford White (Traded in for $5300 off the 2014)
2014 GT Ruby Red, planned 1st mod, MGW Shifter.
Biggest Pet peeve, People stealing the parking spot I'm waiting for.

PONY Member

Quote:
That's pretty sweet what you were able to do with your ride. The money def sounds right. I def don't wanna go over $3k for everything total. I know you can find some decent used 2 valves engines with decent miles around $1000-$1200. I wish I was more mechanically inclined and had the time to do the install myself. I hear these Motors are pretty much the easiest motors to swap in out in a matter of 1-2 days. I'm Also considering what you suggested earlier or even having the current engine rebuilt completely. I think it's all gonna come down to really doing my homework and seeing cost wise what's gonna net me my best options. Now here's a question I hope you or anyone can answer for me. If I decide to just swap out engines from one car to another. No upgrade just an even Steven swap. 2 valve for a 2 valve. What should I make sure it has so I'm not chasing my tail because I forgot to make sure it has a wiring harness for example. I want to mane this is a hassle free for me and my mechanic. I appreciate any and all help. Oh and nice job on Spankin those guys with your npi engine by introducing them to some old 70s & 80s soul music from the GAP band lol
judging by your year get a Romeo PI engine. They are plentiful. Don't get a Windsor or you will have to by a flywheel. Romeo list is 01-04 Stang's, 01-11 granny cars, vans. I've heard some 01 Stang's at the very beginning of the year came out with Windsors, but it was a limited supply so watch for that. I have yet to see one but you never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page