Forgot to put my tune back in - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Forgot to put my tune back in

Hi everyone. It's been a min since I've been on here. Just been racing and enjoying my ride when I can. Still have the same 2003 Mustang Gt with full bolt ons running a 125 shot nitrous Compucar wet kit. Recently I installed a bottle Warmer, automatic bottle opener, American Muscle control panel that sits in the first cup holder behind the shifter and a new Nos pressure gauge and nitrous outlet Window switch to control it. I had to get the car inspected so I had to get my cats installed and remove my SCT superchip tune. Passed inspection and got the cats put back on. I get the car back and of course I'm happy to have it back as I haven't really raced it in a few months. I find a nice desolate piece of road, arm the system, purge it, turn traction control off, and mashed the pedal. Went through 1st 2nd & 3rd and then I realized I never re-installed my tune. I immediately get out of it and turn the system off. Suddenly my car starts running rough, almost like It's missing
. It's
running real rough but still running. I shut it off. Start it back up and still running rough. There's a definite power loss but no check engine light. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak to be honest. I know it took a min to get to the point but my question is, can running nos 1 time with out a tune be catastrophic?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnasty71 View Post
...but my question is, can running nos 1 time with out a tune be catastrophic?
Maybe. If it were me, I'd pull the plugs for a look see...they may tell some of the story. While the plugs are out, run a compression check. Depending on what I saw, I'd pull the string from there.

Truth in Ruin likes this.

Underestimate me, that will be fun.
GREEN WORM RACING--since 1959

These are my opinions...YOU are responsible for YOUR decisions and YOUR outcomes...AND, my not arguing with you does not indicate agreement with your opinion.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Remove the plugs first. If they are destroyed you need to do a compression test. Let's hope you didn't blow a ring land or two...ask me how I know.

Stock timing is normally OK for a 100 shot to the wheels but once you go over that it can be risky. You most likely detonated and melted some plugs. You could have broke a piston or two. Only way one way to find out...

Let us know what happened.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018
PONY Member

+1 on everything said above. Plus another thing to look at is maybe the intake to see if it isn't cracked anywhere. The majority of people don't run over 100 shot because of the longevity of the engine. I hope you didn't hurt it to bad bro, good luck with everything.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Hey guys...I thought I did something wrong cause I wasn't getting any notifications of any replies, so I kinda posted the same post again. So here's the latest. After all that funny business, my mechanic replaced one of the spark plugs and there was an exhaust leak near the manifold. He buttoned that up and everything seemed fine. Before I got ready to roll I reinstalled my tune. Started rolling down the street and hit my line lock so I could smoke the tires. Just on motor, no NOS this time. Started to hit the gas and it started misfiring and heard this knocking pinging noise coming from the right passenger side of the engine. The Rpm dropped and it almost shut off. Rpms came back up and then I shut it off for a min. Turned it back on, and it acted like it never happened. No misfire no knocking noise NOTHING. Drove it some more even got on it a few times. Nothing hard maybe 3/4 full throttle. It was pulling like normal. Later on, it did the same thing again. This time I didn't turn it off. Rpms dropped, misfiring loud knocking and all. About 1 min past and it went right back to normal again. Finally just Parked it. I'm a truck driver and I usually drive around 400-500 miles a day. So I'm gonna try over the weekend to take valve cover off and see what I can see before I take it back. I've been spraying this car for almost 3yrs. Best time was 12.1 @ 113mph. I just can't bring myself to believe that just 1 time spraying without a tune would of done anything but I'm starting to come to grips with the reality that it might have. Ughhh!!! So that's the latest.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Hey guys...I thought I did something wrong cause I wasn't getting any notifications of any replies, so I kinda posted the same post again. So here's the latest. After all that funny business, my mechanic replaced one of the spark plugs and there was an exhaust leak near the manifold. He buttoned that up and everything seemed fine. Before I got ready to roll I reinstalled my tune. Started rolling down the street and hit my line lock so I could smoke the tires. Just on motor, no NOS this time. Started to hit the gas and it started misfiring and heard this knocking pinging noise coming from the right passenger side of the engine. The Rpm dropped and it almost shut off. Rpms came back up and then I shut it off for a min. Turned it back on, and it acted like it never happened. No misfire no knocking noise NOTHING. Drove it some more even got on it a few times. Nothing hard maybe 3/4 full throttle. It was pulling like normal. Later on, it did the same thing again. This time I didn't turn it off. Rpms dropped, misfiring loud knocking and all. About 1 min past and it went right back to normal again. Finally just Parked it. I'm a truck driver and I usually drive around 400-500 miles a day. So I'm gonna try over the weekend to take valve cover off and see what I can see before I take it back. I've been spraying this car for almost 3yrs. Best time was 12.1 @ 113mph. I just can't bring myself to believe that just 1 time spraying without a tune would of done anything but I'm starting to come to grips with the reality that it might have. Ughhh!!! So that's the latest.
Put the stock tune back in it, don't use the NOS, go get a real tune. That's my only advice. Sounds like someone needs to go over your data. Take it to a good tuner somewhere around your area. I don't like nos on a stock engine, I'm assuming yours is since you haven't mentioned any upgrades. You also could have a mechanical problem since its only coming from the passenger side.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018
PONY Member

I forgot to add the timing was the issue here.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Yeah I'm at a lost right now honestly. As far as my mods go, BBK Underdrive Pulleys, 78mm Throttle Body, BBK shorty headers, Mac Cold Air Intake, Mac exhaust with Off Road H pipe, Aluminum Drive Shaft, Power Plus Typhoon Chrome intake, Upper and Lower Control Arms, Line Lock, AM 3.73 Gears, Eibach Pro Lowering Kit, 315 MT Drag Radials, 17x9 & 17x10.5 Fr 500 black rims, MGW short throw shifter, new coil packs and spark plugs, SCT Superchips Tuner other stuff I listed. A custom tune was next on my list this summer. I was just hoping to get at least another summer out of this engine, but more and more it's looking like I might be searching for a 32 valve Mach 1 engine in the immediate future. Think I'm done with the 2 valves after this. This was my 2nd engine.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018
PONY Member

At what rpm did you engage the NOS?
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Let us know what you find when you take the valve cover off.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

I have the window switch programmed to kick on the Nos at 3k rpm and then to shut off at a max rpm of 6k. It won't come on until those parameters are met.
PONY Member

Quote:
I have the window switch programmed to kick on the Nos at 3k rpm and then to shut off at a max rpm of 6k. It won't come on until those parameters are met.
OK so 3k is good. I'm more worried about your engine though. Do you or someone you know have a snake camera that you can use to take a peek through your spark plug hole? If you lived by me I would have you bring the car over so we could use mine. Also, you mentioned something about ditching the 2V, I wouldn't myself. Rebuild or find a great used 2V, and boost that baby. I personally love the underdog. I had a chance to buy a 4V engine from intake to oil pan and I passed. A 2v with a small cam and long tubes will run right beside a stock 4V C head DOHC. Unless you just want to have a 4V go for it man, you definitely have my blessing bro. Anyways, get that valve cover off and please let us know any info.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Oh believe me I love being the under dog. No better feeling in the world than pulling up at the track and lining up next to a new mustang or a new Dodge Skat Pack and out 60ft them...(1.7 60ft if anyone's asking) and beat them to the traps only to hear, that's not a stock 4.6 man?!? I'm like yeah just some bolt ons and gears...lol like I said earlier, my best et was 12.1 @ 114mph. I was hoping with the new bottle Warmer and pressure gauge to be able to get it into the 11.9 territory cause up until recently I was at the mercy of the elements because I had no was of getting my bottle to optimal pressure so many times I might of been a little too low or high which everyone knows will affect the power. As for the 32 valve, I'm not completely sold on it cause if I do I won't be able to use my headers, throttle body, flywheel and a few other things that I can't remember right now versus a used 2 valve that I can transplant everything from one engine to the next. So trust me I'm weighing all pros n cons at this point. After doing a little research today on my issue, I starting to lean towards something wrong with the lifters maybe, and I really don't want to wrap my mind around a rod knock cause I know what that means..lol but I know this, whatever it is, my baby will run again. Not letting her go...lol Just a matter of which way will I do. I'll def post on what I find out the prognosis is.
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
A junkyard 2V is like $400...go buy one, drop it in, and start building a bottom end. That's what I did. Well...I haven't started building my bottom end but it won't be long.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Unless you have 600+ rwhp goals it's kind of a waste to do a 4V swap. They break just as easy as a 2V, same internals. They do look nicer when you pop the hood though.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page