Car shut off - won't start - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wmburns

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Car shut off - won't start

Hello all, need some suggestions or ideas on what could have occurred. As I was driving yesterday and I was slowing down for a stop my '98 5M just shut off. At first I though maybe I stalled it, but it won't crank at all. I tried jumping it and nothing. The lights and a/c work.

Fuel pump? I don't think this is the problem as the car doesn't turn over

Battery terminals are tight, but maybe it's the ground?

Something to do with the ignition? I hope not, I put new msd coils when I did the tune up earlier this year.

I'm out of theories, help me out ...

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

My vote. Bad battery. Perhaps an open or shorted cell.

I know what you are thinking. "but I jumped the battery and it still didn't crank". Consider that when jumping a battery the jump provides assistance. Rarely can a jump provide enough current on it's own to crank a car with a TOTALLY dead battery.

Further there are some battery failures such that the old battery actually consumes some (or most) of the jump current.

The other thing you might be thinking is "how can a bad battery cause the motor to shut down". For a modern car with a modern alternator:

no battery = no alternator
No alternator = no motor

Here's some more information that may help:

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...-drop-test.56/

But why guess? Test.

Either take the battery to your local Auto parts store as most will test for free. But regardless the out come of the battery test, you will KNOW if the battery is good or not.

The other quick DIY'er way to test is with a volt-ohm meter (VOM). Measure the no load voltage at the battery. Now attempt to crank. What exactly does the voltage do? Stay the same, drop? If it drops, what does it drop to?

The "on the side of the road method" is to turn the head lights on. Are the bright? What happens when the motor is attempted to crank? Do the head lights Dim? Go out? Stay the same?

If the head lights stay the same, that means the starter isn't drawing much if any current.

If the head light get very dim or go out, that means battery voltage is dropping very low.

If the head lights don't dim much or very little, that would be normal starter operation.

But it's not a bad idea to perform a through check of:
  • The battery terminals.
  • the battery cables.
  • the grounds around the radiator core support
  • Confirm there is +12 volts at the main alternator B+ terminal.

It's almost always a good idea to start every car trouble shooting session with a through review of the battery and charging system. Don't be "that guy" who replaces a bunch of parts only to find out it's something basic as a bad battery.

wuaname likes this.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks WMBURNS for the detailed info. Yeah, the alternator was the other thing I thought. I take a look at what you mentioned tonight. Thanks

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018
PONY Member

^^^^Definitely what WM Burns has said. Get a fully, fully, fully charged battery in their, and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page