Cat Back exhaust , - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
I stayed home sick the last two days and I got pretty bored and I ended up watching random YouTube crap. I stumbled upon this guy who does a “how to” on installing a mid pipe and cat-back on his mustang. He also did a before and after dyno. The video is kind of long, but he gained 10 rear horsepower.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-s4ZCsC1oY
I didn't have mine dyno tested when I done my exhaust setup, but my exhaust went on the same time my new engine went in, and of course it was a lot more powerful. A mid pipe on the 4.6 picks up a good bit a power, but it's really from 2,800 rpm and above. On average I've seen a full exhaust with long tubes are 25-30 rwhp which isn't bad considering that's rwhp, so your looking at around 35-40 flywheel. What i would like to see is a test on different chambered mufflers, now that would be cool. But as for my x pipe, I guarantee it picked up 10rwhp, and that goes for any stang.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astangthang2 View Post
Quote:
I stayed home sick the last two days and I got pretty bored and I ended up watching random YouTube crap. I stumbled upon this guy who does a “how to” on installing a mid pipe and cat-back on his mustang. He also did a before and after dyno. The video is kind of long, but he gained 10 rear horsepower.
I didn't have mine dyno tested when I done my exhaust setup, but my exhaust went on the same time my new engine went in, and of course it was a lot more powerful. A mid pipe on the 4.6 picks up a good bit a power, but it's really from 2,800 rpm and above. On average I've seen a full exhaust with long tubes are 25-30 rwhp which isn't bad considering that's rwhp, so your looking at around 35-40 flywheel. What i would like to see is a test on different chambered mufflers, now that would be cool. But as for my x pipe, I guarantee it picked up 10rwhp, and that goes for any stang.
That was an expensive-azz ten horsepower. Probably close to $1k and he’s almost to 200 rear horse.
I don’t think there’d be much difference between X muffler and no muffler at all really. You gotta think most of the “work” is all but done by the time the exhaust gets to the mufflers.
Heads will always be the choker. Bolting stuff around the heads is just trying to get the best out of the head.

Apprentice

[QUOTE=Astangthang2;9205747] What i would like to see is a test on different chambered mufflers, now that would be cool.

Hard to find data but I found this interesting:

Ford Mustang Muffler Comparison Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
[QUOTE=neuron;9205813]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astangthang2 View Post
What i would like to see is a test on different chambered mufflers, now that would be cool.

Hard to find data but I found this interesting:

Ford Mustang Muffler Comparison Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
Lots of variables with dyno’s. Two back to back runs can give different readings even if no parts were changed. The differences were from like 369 to 371 in some instances. That could be the differnce between a hot motor and a cold one.
Also the amount of power the car tested is making plays a factor in gains or no gains with any bolt-on. The Db readings might be good data, but the hp numbers I’m taking with a grain of salt. The YouTube guy “only” gained 10 hp with an x-pipe and the SLP cat-back, and if you go by Ford 360 is showings it would mean that nearly half of the 10 hp was made by the mufflers and the mid pipe made up the rest. I dunno, y’all say a mid-pipe is good for 8 hp and a set of mufflers w larger diameter exhaust pipe was/is good for the other three?
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron View Post
I've seen that chart shared around a few places, but this is the first time I've seen a link to the full article. I'm saving this for later reference. Thank you!
neuron likes this.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
Apprentice

Awsome!
neuron likes this.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron View Post
I've seen that chart shared around a few places, but this is the first time I've seen a link to the full article. I'm saving this for later reference. Thank you!
It’s interesting looking at the open exhaust numbers. It looks like it produces more power until around 6k rpm than w mufflers but fall after that. Velocity maybe? I wonder how “open” is open? Headers only or no muffler after the mid pipe?
I’ve toyed with the idea of putting cut-outs on. But I’m kind of thinking they’d end up leaking causing more trouble than what they’d be worth. Not the electric kind either, just the crawl under ane unscrew.
neuron likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page