Check out my dirty, dirty pistons. And head. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Check out my dirty, dirty pistons. And head.

Hi all.

Finally got the driver's side head off my '96 Cobra, to fix a failed helicoil repair for the ol' blown-out-plug defect. I need to ream out the hole and put a Time-Sert in there.

Meanwhile, though, would anyone like to weigh in on the condition of this engine? Obviously the surfaces are caked with carbon and gunk, but I'm intrigued by the differing condition of the cylinders. The front two have flaky deposits in the center of the pistons, whereas the back two are more evenly coated.

The #6 cylinder (second from the left here) is the one that stopped firing.

What's a safe way to go about cleaning these surfaces?

Thanks for any insights.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LH pistons and head.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	520.9 KB
ID:	605793  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018
PONY Member

You can use carb cleaner and a scuff pad. Intake cleaner is also an option. My 66 looked better than that when I opened it up. Not sure what you have been running through that thing to make it so bad. Bad rings?

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks. Nothing but gasoline (well, gasohol) for 22 years.

I donít know about the rings. Thatís why I asked.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018
GT Member

Garage
Make sure your pcv system is up to snuff, and I would recommend an oil separator for the driver side cover. You can see that the head gasket was blown on 5 & 6. Are you planning to get the heads surfaced? Look closely at the block also. Your IMRC's are probably going to look like crap also. I would roll the engine over till the piston is all the way up and spray it with some brake parts cleaner and use a small brass brush to clean them off.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks. The IMRCs do indeed look like crap, so I'm going to clean them.

I don't know how to test the PCV system, but I suppose that info's out there somewhere...

I did note the breaches of the gasket at 5 & 6. I wasn't planning to get the heads surfaced, but given that gasket issue and the difference in coloration on those cylinders, maybe high temps have warped the head. Does that seem likely? Also, is the block always assumed to be flat, so only the heads need to be assessed for flatness and surfaced?

As far as rolling the engine over goes, I still have the RH head on and the cams are all secured in position. I'm concerned about getting it out of time if I turn the crank.

Finally: With all of this, I am revisiting the idea of putting the 2003 tumble-port heads on, but I know they need a different manifold and adaptation to work on the '96. I haven't found any definitive list of instructions for doing this retrofit.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018
Apprentice

How many miles? Oil consumption amount? These do benefit from an oil separator in the PCV System. Hated the IMRC's on my '98 so I bought the eliminators cheap used(you can modify yours to just become a spacer, composite ones are best for this)and got a tune to fix the changes the PCM makes at about 3300 RPM when the IMRC's open. It you are patient the heads,intake etc from the 1999 & 2001 Cobra come up for sale on a Mustang Forum every so often.

PS- I just saw two '99-'01 Cobras complete manifolds with TB's for sale on another Forum.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
When we clean engine parts we use Mineral Spirits and a brush.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron View Post
How many miles? Oil consumption amount?
160,000. I haven't measured oil consumption, but it wasn't at the level where I was particularly concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron View Post
PS- I just saw two '99-'01 Cobras complete manifolds with TB's for sale on another Forum.
Thanks. Those don't have the fixed threads though, do they?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018
Apprentice

duplicate

duplicate
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokestack View Post
160,000. I haven't measured oil consumption, but it wasn't at the level where I was particularly concerned.

Thanks. Those don't have the fixed threads though, do they?

Fixed threads? These are the Intake Manifold's upper and lower that are the hardest conversion part to find normally, C Heads can be found easier usually.
160K there is most likely a bit of blowby past the rings plus wear in the valve guides/seals too. Mine had a puddle of oil in the intake manifold(157K) and I believe it is not unusual without the separator.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

OK I have no idea what I was talking about with the threads (which obviously are in the heads).

I just picked up a 2001 Cobra manifold and Iím eyeing some Aviator heads.

What happens with the IMRCs when you swap heads, and does the timing cover still fit?
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokestack View Post
OK I have no idea what I was talking about with the threads (which obviously are in the heads).

I just picked up a 2001 Cobra manifold and Iím eyeing some Aviator heads.

What happens with the IMRCs when you swap heads, and does the timing cover still fit?
The IMRC's are not used at all, I believe the cover does fit but I would check to make sure.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ah, I just realized my concern is silly: I was wondering how the manifold was going to attach to the heads without the IMRCs, but duh... I'm replacing the manifold too.

Thanks for your reply.
Apprentice

Here is some more info.:

Here are the facts about swapping to C or 03/04 heads:

You will need:
- throttle and cruise cables
- an intake
- 99/01 fuel rails or mod the existing rails..see below
- a CAI or RAI for a 99 or 01
- a coolant crossover
- to adapt the temp sending unit which is located on the drivers side of the coolant crossover (because the 96-98 has two, the 99s and up have two)
- you can use the 99/01 fuel rails with an adapter block that allows the use of returnless rails on a return system. If you want one let me know

What you will not need:
- accessories for a 99 and up; your 96-98 accessories will work
- front cover; your 96-98 front cover will work and is the same as the 99/01
- Headers or manifolds, your 96-98 exhaust setup will work

Misc facts:
- the swap is worth about 20ft lbs and a maybe 10 up top, the real gains are in driveability and torque, ported heads or heads with a good valve job will produce more
- C or 03/04 heads are better for any n/a or FI street engine
- C or 03/04 heads outflow the B heads up to .500" valve lift, since all the 4v street cams have a mix of .480" lift.
- The intake velocity of the newer heads is higher up to .500 lift, that equals more useable power.
I believe you will get a CEL when eliminating the IMRC's and need a tune for it and the PCM change at 3200RPM. I think I remember a resistor placed in the circuit to alleviate the CEL, not sure though.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey, thanks. Good to know about the cover and exhaust.

What's the difference with the throttle and cruise cables, from the '96's?
Do I need a new CAI because the angle of the manifold is different from the earlier ones?
Likewise is the coolant crossover different from the '96's?
I'm inclined to modify my existing fuel rail, but how does this adapter block work?

I have an '01 intake assembly on the way, but with no throttle body. Will the '96 throttle body fit the '01 manifold? It looks like it will, although the orientation of the throttle lever & electrical plug has been reversed if I remember correctly. I was hoping that by using the old TB, my old cables would still work.

Oh, and cams: I'm probably getting 2003/2005 Aviator heads, but one post I read says the '96-'98 Cobra cams are the best. Should I just move my cams to the new heads? They look like they're in good shape.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page