Bank 1 Sensor 2 question? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

What exactly are you using as a point of reference to interpret cylinder position? I hope it's not the coils...

Looking at the 2nd pic in post #14, you've already done a pretty good job of lining up the timing cover along the bottom of the picture frame. So, if you look at the cam/valve covers, you'll see that the cam sprocket bulge on the passenger side cover is further forward than the one on the driver side. Yeah, I know that doesn't show you exactly where the cylinders themselves are, but it's probably your best shot if you want to avoid disassembling things to see the cylinders for yourself.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Per Ford factory wiring diagrams:

COP #5 RD LG/YE
COP #6 RD OG/YE

Which certainly look like your wire colors to me.

COP #1 RD LG/WH Front right
COP #2 RD PK/WH
COP #3 RD WH/PK
COP #4 RD DG/VT back right

COP #5 RD LG/YE Front left
COP #6 RD OG/YE
COP #7 RD PK/LB
COP #8 RD WH/RD back left.

All directions from the car's point of view.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
GT Member

Garage
Youíve got to be kidding me! What are you looking at to find number 1 cylinder? If youíre looking at intake manifold, youíre dead wrong. NPI intake goes to the passenger side first, PI intake (what your car has) goes to the driver side first. Both of them are 4.6l modular blocks and will entirely interchange with one another. So does that mean that cylinder numbering changes when someone does an intake manifold swap?

Look at the picture of the engine block posted a few posts up, the farthest forward cylinder is in fact on the passenger side. You are way overthinking this.

How about this, take the good information that people give you and stop overthinking it. Better yet, Iíve got a great solution. Open the service manual and look at the cylinder numbering.

You canít completely depend on what someone says on youtube.

Passenger front is #1.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
What exactly are you using as a point of reference to interpret cylinder position? I hope it's not the coils...

Looking at the 2nd pic in post #14, you've already done a pretty good job of lining up the timing cover along the bottom of the picture frame. So, if you look at the cam/valve covers, you'll see that the cam sprocket bulge on the passenger side cover is further forward than the one on the driver side. Yeah, I know that doesn't show you exactly where the cylinders themselves are, but it's probably your best shot if you want to avoid disassembling things to see the cylinders for yourself.
Yes, I was using the coils, but you have made it apparent that I wasn't supposed to do this. Thank you for explaining your reasoning and why not to do this, it allows me to learn, which I appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post
Per Ford factory wiring diagrams:

COP #5 RD LG/YE
COP #6 RD OG/YE

Which certainly look like your wire colors to me.

COP #1 RD LG/WH Front right
COP #2 RD PK/WH
COP #3 RD WH/PK
COP #4 RD DG/VT back right

COP #5 RD LG/YE Front left
COP #6 RD OG/YE
COP #7 RD PK/LB
COP #8 RD WH/RD back left.

All directions from the car's point of view.
Thank you for confirming this. Somebody said it was a modded engine in a few threads back, so I guess it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarrior1016 View Post
Youíve got to be kidding me! What are you looking at to find number 1 cylinder? If youíre looking at intake manifold, youíre dead wrong. NPI intake goes to the passenger side first, PI intake (what your car has) goes to the driver side first. Both of them are 4.6l modular blocks and will entirely interchange with one another. So does that mean that cylinder numbering changes when someone does an intake manifold swap?

Look at the picture of the engine block posted a few posts up, the farthest forward cylinder is in fact on the passenger side. You are way overthinking this.

How about this, take the good information that people give you and stop overthinking it. Better yet, Iíve got a great solution. Open the service manual and look at the cylinder numbering.

You canít completely depend on what someone says on youtube.

Passenger front is #1.
I'm not sure I like this response. It seems you are not offering any new information other than what has already been said. Your opening response doesn't encourage users to use these forums and you can clearly see 'Rookie' under my name. Comments like these will not allow new users to use these forums, but mainly, CONTINUE to use these forums and become a member of the community.
I may be dead wrong, and I may not be kidding you, but at least I don't have to make somebody feel bad to get my point across. Most people do not have service manuals and use the internet as a reference, especially if they havent had the car long, or, they may not decide to keep the car. You may be mechanically smart, but you have a lot to learn about how to get your point across.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s34nUSA View Post
I'm not sure I like this response. It seems you are not offering any new information other than what has already been said. Your opening response doesn't encourage users to use these forums and you can clearly see 'Rookie' under my name. Comments like these will not allow new users to use these forums, but mainly, CONTINUE to use these forums and become a member of the community.
I may be dead wrong, and I may not be kidding you, but at least I don't have to make somebody feel bad to get my point across. Most people do not have service manuals and use the internet as a reference, especially if they havent had the car long, or, they may not decide to keep the car. You may be mechanically smart, but you have a lot to learn about how to get your point across.
At the risk of beating a dead horse some of this you did bring some of this upon yourself. Very early on in this thread it was pointed out that Ford has a different cylinder number scheme that other car makers. Your reply instead of asking for more information or having a "reasoned" argument was that they were wrong and somehow your Mustang was different.

I believe that the Mustang community did try to help answer your questions quickly and accurately with a certain amount of "tact".

Regarding using the Internet and Forums in general. Allow me to offer some un-ask for advice. IMO the single best $$ investment that anyone can make in their own car is a set of Factory service manuals and wiring diagrams. Then you will not be dependent upon the Internet as your FIRST source of information. You will find that sometimes the advice given can be biased, out of date, or just plain wrong. With a set of factory manuals this puts YOU in the position to judge the quality of the answers given.

The forums should be used to add information on top of the professional information sources or to add that extra "experience" factor that those of us that have actually done some of this before can help with.

The next best investment you can make in your car fixing future is an ODB2 scanner.

Here's some information on an AFFORDABLE ($30) Windows based unit that can change how one goes about fixing a modern car from this point forward.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...elm327-usb.57/

Eric O from South Main Auto Youtube channel can frequently be heard saying "know your enemy" when talking about accessing quality service related information. I'm a firm believer in this myself as I own a full set of Ford factory service manuals.

For the GM cars in my family I use AllDataDIY.com. Compared to the amount of time these professional information sources can save you in the performing of maintenance the cost is a true bargain. Often the cost of not replacing a single good part it will pay for itself.

Good luck.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in