O/D on or off while racing? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Need some insight on this,
I know how od works basically your fourth gear for the 4r70w.
I would always drive with od on cause that’s default upon starting the car but I have noticed if I’m rolling around let’s say 30-50mph and I wanna do a roll, if the od is off I’m already in 3rd gear ready to go but with it on I’m at like 1200-1400 rpms and gun it, wait for the shift to drop into 3rd then the car picks up, now I’m looking at it in this way the car will be more responsive correct if od is off and I’m in 3rd because there virtually won’t be any shift lag with the whole dropping a gear right?

And onside of that what if I’m picking up speed to 70-80mph+ will it be bad for the trans if I click the od button to go into my forth gear once I’m done racing?
Don’t really care about mpg that’s not why I drive the car, it’s meant to be fun. And can messing around with od irresponsibly start to mess things up, I’m quite car inclined and know what I’m doing but just need some advice.

What’s the best and healthiest way to use od while racing essentially is what I’m asking?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019
PONY Member

Garage
As I remember O/D in a transmission it was designed for economy purposes. It would change gear ratios internally to drop rpm for cruising speed. If you're done with the "race", why would you still be picking up speed? Once the race is over, you've either won or lost and there's no reason to keep speeding up. O/D stands for overdrive and is not an extra-power gear.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yea I see, been driving in the city with it off and nothing the less it is a bit more fun to drive, sure Iím in 3rd gear but Iím at 2,000 rpm when Iím at 50-60mph then so on, from my experience with have O/D off it seems better for the car in the city cause now my car isnít trying to go back and forth from 3rd gear to O/D, plus sounds better cruising with the higher rpms , so overall I see no harm driving with o/d off just might hurt the mpg a little but who cares lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in