Need opinions on if I should flush <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

As you know the 2002 mustang gt was the year they removed the tc bolt on the 4r70w, so I’m forced to do a flush I already dropped the pan and changed the filter but now I want it all changed, I’m at 98,000 miles has had 2 previous tran pan drop oil changes, here’s a pick of my fluid in a towel, smells very slightly burnt nothing major what y’all think will I risk ruining my trans or just go ahead and do it, just picked up 15 qrts of motor craft mercon v

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8E1B016C-F2C8-4573-8975-59B2A50DFEB0_1553298551567.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	924.8 KB
ID:	608855  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'm surprised you did 2 pan drops already. I would let it go but seeing how you bought the supplies . . . .

Did you see anything out of ordinary the previous 2 servicing's that prompts a third pan drop and fluid exchange?

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
I'm surprised you did 2 pan drops already. I would let it go but seeing how you bought the supplies . . . .

Did you see anything out of ordinary the previous 2 servicing's that prompts a third pan drop and fluid exchange?
No seemed normal, I’m just very ocd about my car being perfect and trying to make it as perfect as I can lol. Rather have new fluid in now before it gets worse and eventually starts to break down

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019
Rookie

I am the same way you are OP. If you have the supplies already go ahead and do it. You shouldn't have to flush it that much though.

I have a manual, but when I had a Ford Explorer with a auto trans I added a trans cooler with an external filtration system that used a oil filter. When I did an oil change, I would change the filter that was on that system as well. It added almost a quart of new fluid each time. I would fill the filter to the brim with Mercon V and reinstall.

The trans outlasted the motor (and if you know Ford Explorers, you know the trans is the weak link on them). The motor blew head gaskets at 180k miles while the trans was still ticking. If you're that OCD, just a thought.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019
PONY Member

Garage
The fluid color looks about normal. And considering the temps within the trans, you'll get a little hot oil smell. Even if you drive your car hard you'd seldom need a trans fluid change every 50k miles as long as there aren't any bits of metal in the pan during a filter change.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Seems you unlike most have taken care of the trans so it might be okay to do a flush, but I have always been told flushes are a bad idea unless they have been done regularly as it can move little things around and those little things can cause big problems. Just my .02

I did have my 96 flushed I believe with some bad shop advice when I was much younger and just learning about cars and maybe a year or so after the trans started having issues and leaks... Could have been random timing or could be due to the flush...

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019
RBK
Rookie

I suggest you go onto YouTube and search on Scotty Kilmer-transmission flush. As I remember he does not recommend it for cars with high mileage that have not had the fluid changed at regular intervals. Now I once had a Ford and the transmission started to chatter so I had a flush done and it fixed the problem, so sometimes it can help. If I were you I would not do it and just change the filter and any fluid in the pan at regular intervals.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019
BOSS Member

Although I change my fluid every 30k miles, I would not consider 100k to be "High Mileage" because that is the recommend service interval.....in short, it's due and the partial fresh fluid (pan dumps) has definitely revitalized the fluid so you are in good shape as far as the quality/condition of the fluid and yes, it's time to change....and there is absolutely nothing unsafe about flushing a trans (unless your fluid is turned to crud).. using the return cooler line to conduct the flush is simple, safe and effective.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Dorow View Post
As you know the 2002 mustang gt was the year they removed the tc bolt on the 4r70w, so Im forced to do a flush I already dropped the pan and changed the filter but now I want it all changed, Im at 98,000 miles has had 2 previous tran pan drop oil changes, heres a pick of my fluid in a towel, smells very slightly burnt nothing major what yall think will I risk ruining my <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> or just go ahead and do it, just picked up 15 qrts of motor craft mercon v
All my years at the dealership doing trans services and flushes I only came across one good company that had the right equipment to do the job correctly, BG Flush equipment and their fluids. you can't go wrong. https://www.bgprod.com/find-a-shop/ type in your address their site may give you a close place to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page