Ford Mustang Forum banner

Air gap between convertible top and body

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  stormsedge 
#1 ·
I have a significant gap in the part where the convertible top, window, and body converge at the bottom back corner of the rear windows. I can't find any information on how to close this gap up, but I've read mention on forum posts where it seems to be common with no proposed solutions.

I can see straight into the body panel of the car so I'm sure it's not great for rain. And I'm on a quest for a quieter interior so wind noise is probably significant as well.

Is there a solution to closing up this gap?

I've tried manipulating the nub from the convertible top seal to try and fill the space but it never actually seals it and putting the top down and back up resets it to being entirely dysfunctional.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Weeeelllll, my face is red. I popped out to the garage to get a picture and realized there is still a small open gap in the passenger side (which I thought I'd fixed)....AND my driver's side looks like yours---so, back to the drawing board. I'll mess with it a little more this week and see if there is a solution. It may end up being top and window alignment, or replacement of the rubbers---which may have shrunk over the 19 years since birth (in which case, it will have to wait until rear window and top replacement in the future). Lucky me, my Mustang a fair weather friend and kept in the garage. I'll let you know if I figure something out.

This photo of passenger side, noting the rubber block is more square to the body line than that of my driver's side, but there is still a small triangular air gap.

Attachments

#5 ·
This photo of passenger side, noting the rubber block is more square to the body line than that of my driver's side, but there is still a small triangular air gap.
I'm wondering if there's an alignment issue with my convertible top. The fabric of my top seems to terminate further from the corner of the trim piece than yours.

I drove to a GM dealer last night that had two convertible stangs on the lot. They were a lot worse so didn't tell me much other than that it could be worse LOL.

Check out the window alignment on this $6,000 car!

I also saw a full rainbow, which was cool, but totally irrelevant 😄

Attachments

#6 ·
My 2001 Cobra got this piece trapped between the top and glass weather stripping on a regular basis. I would pull it into place with the top halfway up. It was pretty simple to do, but I never did really solve the problem. Just kept putting it into place before the top got all the way up and pinched it between the top and weather stripping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.