Replacing ... How to do it - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By napierbills21

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Replacing ... How to do it

Removed old support now I need to figure out how to install new one. The correct dimensions and how exactly do I find those???

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019
PONY Member

Garage
If you buy a new support, it will have the correct dimensions. Getting a used one will let you know how to remove yours and what it will take to reinstall it. If you're lucky, it will just be a bolt-on part. Otherwise, you'll have to drill out rivets or spot welds and replace them with bolts on reinstall.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

How do I know where to sit the new one. Should I place a level on it, and if it is level weld it. Yes it sucks man. I drilled all the spot welds out as you'll see in the pictures and I'll have to spot weld this one back in. I understand though what you mean by "the new one having holes" which come to think of it would've made things a whole lot easier in setting the new one in to begin with, but the new one has no pre drilled holes. Thanks for your help and advice it's very greatly appreciated. I'll send a few pics

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019
PONY Member

Garage
If you're sure the car is level right to left, then a level should get it positioned correctly. Make sure your right hand inner fender panel hasn't been bent down. You can put a 2x4 from fender panel to fender panel (just behind your support) and check it with a level. You may have to jack up one side or the other to level it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

When you say right , would that be the driver's side. I always get confused on that. Don't understand if that's while your facing directly in front of car or in it. Thank you man for helping me out with the pointers cause I'm definitely lost right now!!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Measure from the ground to make sure both left and right inner panels are the same-adjust as needed.
Place the new support in place,hold with c-clamps-measure from front to rear on both sides(front to back)-and side to side front and rear(left to right)-square up as needed.then measure from right rear to left front and vice versa-this will get you perfectly squared up-then weld in place.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you so much. I'll send you pics once completed.
heavy metal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page