Acess automatic transmission wiring harness connector 2004 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Acess automatic transmission wiring harness connector 2004 Mustang GT

Hey guys had a guy install 4.6 motor in 2004 Mustang GT.He got everything connected except the automatic transmission harness connector to the plug in on main harness on back of firewall...apparently he moved it back out of the way when engine was pulled out to build. With the motor back in there is no room to reach down and pull connector up to plug it in. Can anyone make any suggestions.....can't reach to find the plug and pull it forward to plug it in....Help! any tips appreciated.....This 4.6 totally fills the engine bay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstill View Post
Hey guys had a guy install 4.6 motor in 2004 Mustang GT.He got everything connected except the automatic transmission harness connector to the plug in on main harness on back of firewall...apparently he moved it back out of the way when engine was pulled out to build. With the motor back in there is no room to reach down and pull connector up to plug it in. Can anyone make any suggestions.....can't reach to find the plug and pull it forward to plug it in....Help! any tips appreciated.....This 4.6 totally fills the engine bay
What’d the guy who put it in say?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

He kept it for 1 1/2years putting engine together....i finally got tired of being put off....he put enjine in car hooked up two bell housing bolts..and thats where it sat for almost a year..im trying to finish it up got everything else...the connector is stubbed out of main harness near heater hoses....its looks like it connects to something off automatic transmission but not sure...ill post a pic if anybody recognize it and what it connects to let me know...Thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

If anyone has a 1998-2004 that they don't mind taking a pic and posting of the rear connectors from harness that connect to auto tranny id appreciate it.....two i have plugged in but the square pin type connector that stubs out of the main harness in the rear of motor near heater cores hoses cant seem to find where it should plug in?....thanks!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

There have been multiple times in my automotive adventures where found it necessary to "think outside the box". In this case the box is the view inside the engine bay.

Are you able to reach the connector from below the car? One trick I have used is to tape the connector in question to a long screw driver and push the connector through the tight space. I have used this trick with great success on the front O2 sensors connectors. Especially the one on the left side.

Another tick I have used is to grab the connector in question with a "bugger picker" grabbing tool.

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2529...omotive&sr=1-7

Or a combination method. Tie a slip knot in a strong piece of string. Loop the slip knot around the connector from below. Use a grabber tool from above to catch the string. Once the string is above the engine level use the string to assist guiding it through the opening.

Speaking of thinking outside the box. I remember working for hours to replace an EGR tube on a Grand Marquis. It was just impossible to get to from above or below. After giving up for the day and sleeping on it, it hit me to try removing the wheel and fender liner. It was so easy it was almost stupid.

You may also get better results if you posted pictures of your engine bay. This will help us to visualize what you are seeing.

Good luck.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you guys found the problem.....there are two receptacles that both have same pin pattern and design....my friend asked me if it was possible that the plug would fit both.....told him never seen it where they would interchange(usually a safeguard from plugging them in to the wrong circuit....he said lets try it.....we did and guess what they will.....anyway problem solved....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for your input guys! problem solved......one of the tranny connectors from AT will fit either female receptacle on wiring harness...friend from church suggested .changing them around just to see if they were the same....wala.....problem solved!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstill View Post
Thanks for your input guys! problem solved......one of the tranny connectors from AT will fit either female receptacle on wiring harness...friend from church suggested .changing them around just to see if they were the same....wala.....problem solved!
Good deal man, rock & roll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page