01 GT Good alt, good battery, no charge - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlander View Post
Now, strange turn, you'll probably jump down my throat over this, as I know it's something you're not supposed to do. I'm not sure why I decided to try it, but I did. I quickly touched the same 20amp fused wire to jump the + batt terminal to the alternator case, and the voltage immediately jumped up to ~13.5 and remained there until the car was shut off, then it had the same no-charge problem when started back up again. This completely baffled me. Now I'm not sure if it's the reman alternator, the cluster, or both.
To me this says that the alternator case is NOT grounded to the level it should be. Why? Because it should have instantly blown the fuse. Suggest going back the "how to perform a voltage drop test". I don't think the ground between the alternator, motor and battery ground is STRONG.

Another test is to take a battery jumper cable and go from battery negative to the alternator's case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlander View Post
EDIT: I got this alternator from somewhere else as a reman for an '01 Mustang DOHC', but at O'Riellys, the part number on the case (Ultima 01-3729) rang up as an alternator for a Crown Vic, forget the year they said. I brushed it off as incorrect since those all had the 2v engine which afaik aren't interchangeable, and I was unable to find anything online about that part number aside from a link to O'Riellys of a completely different unit for GM applications. However after doing some more research, it seems some of the Crown Vics could have used a similar alternator, and the wiring on the harness in the 03+ years is different. The LG/RD wire on the 03+ Vics goes to the PCM instead of the charge light, which would definitely explain some of the issues. Is this actually a possibility, and how could I test this?
The Crown Vic's mainly use a Ford 3G alternator. Where as the Mustang uses the 6G version. See the "howto"for some information about the difference. However it is possible to use a Crown Vic alternator in a Mustang. The interchange is not across all model years. As some Lincoln models use an extra terminal that "tells" the alternator to turn on. However, I not totally certain this is your problem as the Mustang Alternator should put out IF it has power(s) and ground.

NOTE: the interchange does NOT apply when talking about PCM controlled alternators.

Note2: You have confirmed there is "always on" power at the alternator's main B+ terminal right? If not the main fusible link is blown.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...-drop-test.56/

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ashlander Send a message via MSN to Ashlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post
To me this says that the alternator case is NOT grounded to the level it should be. Why? Because it should have instantly blown the fuse. Suggest going back the "how to perform a voltage drop test". I don't think the ground between the alternator, motor and battery ground is STRONG.

Another test is to take a battery jumper cable and go from battery negative to the alternator's case.
It DID blow the fuse in the wire as well. Jumping the neg terminal to the alternator case had no effect. All my grounds are basically brand new, since I just built all new battery/ground wires in March or April.

I did voltage drop tests, but the stupid notepad app I put the numbers in didn't save it so I can't give you the exact numbers. Engine off was around .6 B- to alt case, and 1.4 B+ to alt B+. Engine running was something like 4 and 6. The battery was pretty low, so I hooked jumpers up to my 07 so the system was getting proper voltage, and then it was about 29 and 31. This was all on the 200m scale.

Quote:
The Crown Vic's mainly use a Ford 3G alternator. Where as the Mustang uses the 6G version. See the "howto"for some information about the difference. However it is possible to use a Crown Vic alternator in a Mustang. The interchange is not across all model years. As some Lincoln models use an extra terminal that "tells" the alternator to turn on. However, I not totally certain this is your problem as the Mustang Alternator should put out IF it has power(s) and ground.

NOTE: the interchange does NOT apply when talking about PCM controlled alternators.
The Crown Vics look to be similarly wired up to 02. In 03 they were rewired to go straight to the PCM instead of the charge light and then junction box. See this;
Ford Crown Victoria Alternator Wiring Diagrams

The part number on the case is for an 03-05 Crown Vic (according to Oriellys). If I'm reading those diagrams right, that's the start of the PCM controlled alternators.

Quote:
Note2: You have confirmed there is "always on" power at the alternator's main B+ terminal right? If not the main fusible link is blown.
The fusible links are fine. One of the first things I checked, and just rechecked.

Present
2007 Mustang GT - 5-Speed, Airaid CAI, 4.10s
2001 Mustang GT "Mock 1" - 5-Speed, 03 Mach 1 Swap, 98 Cobra Intake Cam Swap, BBK CAI & Longtube Headers w/ H-Pipe, 4.10s 302 rwhp / 310 ft-lbs
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes

Looking For
1981-82 Mustang Cobra/GT T-Top

Past
1984 Mustang GT T-Top - Bare Chassis
1984 Mustang GT350 - 302 / 5-Speed
1984 Mustang LX - 302 / 5-Speed
Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ashlander Send a message via MSN to Ashlander
Update: It did end up being the incorrect alternator. I took it back just before the 30 day return period expired, and ordered a new one for an 03 Mach, from Rockauto. Put it in today and it's running and charging perfectly fine, holding ~14.7v while running.

Will probably have to drive it a few days to get the battery charged back up now. Good excuse to hear the 4V again. The 3V leaves alot to be desired.

Present
2007 Mustang GT - 5-Speed, Airaid CAI, 4.10s
2001 Mustang GT "Mock 1" - 5-Speed, 03 Mach 1 Swap, 98 Cobra Intake Cam Swap, BBK CAI & Longtube Headers w/ H-Pipe, 4.10s 302 rwhp / 310 ft-lbs
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes

Looking For
1981-82 Mustang Cobra/GT T-Top

Past
1984 Mustang GT T-Top - Bare Chassis
1984 Mustang GT350 - 302 / 5-Speed
1984 Mustang LX - 302 / 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in